hey guys, gunna be building a few new guitars soon, but I'm having trouble finding places with a good selection of exotic woods (outside of the trio of rosewood, maple and ebony essentially).

I have found one website that seems to be good

http://www.exotichardwoodsukltd.com/page72/page131/rapidcart-44/

Has anybody dealt with these guys at all? Are they any good to deal with?

I have heard of the likes of Dave Dyke, but his website it diabolical....I just want to find a place that offers a decent product at a decent price, where within a few clicks I can buy what I need

Any help given would be really appreciated as I wan't to order 2 fretboards this week.
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Yes, I have!

I dealt with Kirk from Exotic Hardwoods and he was excellent. My order included a one-piece wenge blank, a wenge neck blank and a bookmatched zebrano top. The two blanks were much larger than the website stated - I actually managed to make my neck out of the body offcuts. Postage was also very reasonable, considering the weight of the wood.

Do you have all of your tools for fingerboard prep ready?
that's good to hear, especially considering that i have particular interest in buying some wenge to work with

I've worked with zebrano......what a nightmare......beautiful wood but it cups and bows so much :/

I have all the necessary tools to work with fretboard blanks alright.
I've built plenty in the past but i used to get my wood supply through a friend of mine, who has now re-located to australia....and so now I need to look elsewhere...
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Ah, fair enough. It's worth checking Tonetech too, although their stuff tends to be pretty standard.

I won't use zebrano again - it bows, splits easily and stinks. Wenge seems nice though, if you can get over the tendency to splinter and the absolutely filthy wood dust!
checked out tonetech, but i think exotic hardwoods is where i'll buy, i'll be buying tonight i think, thanks for giving them the thumbs up, i don't think i know anybody who dealt with them before so i was a it nervous :P

Yeah....such a pitty about the drawbacks of zerbrano.....once it's finished it is mindblowingly beautiful

I heard the dust is pretty toxic on wenge?? also, in terms of it splintering....would it be s bad or worse than ebony for that?
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
No worries, fella.

I've heard about toxicity of wenge, but I always sand with a mask anyway. It's in a different league to ebony... Ebony shatters and splits tidily, but wenge splinters into lots of tiny, evil daggers, which break as soon as they penetrate your skin.
*takes notes*

wenge -> evil daggers, undesirable penetrative force....

hehe, thanks for the info....looking forward to this being delivered.
Make's me wonder if an ultimate tonewoods thread should be started....just a rough guide to sound, appearance, and what it's like to work with...
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Quote by Hunter2081
Make's me wonder if an ultimate tonewoods thread should be started....just a rough guide to sound, appearance, and what it's like to work with...

+1 to that!
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter
Quote by Hunter2081
+1 to that!
Uh oh...
I'm just saying. I have an idea of what mahogany, basswood and swamp ash sound like for bodies, and it would be nice to have a "guide" if i wanted to use a different wood.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
And I was just hinting that the whole solid body electric guitar tonewood debate tends to polarise the readership and result in an extremely heated exchange of opinions between the voodoo snakeoil peddlars trying to rationalise their choice of expensive, exotic timber beyond, "It just looks nice," and right-thinking people who understand that a solid body electric guitar's tone is 99.9% to do with the strings, pickups, electrics, processing and amplification (and how you play it, of course).

See? Even my own mild-mannered self can't help stirring it up.
fair enough. and i am also of the opinion that strings and pups and players are the more important piece, im still at a point in my guitarist life that i prefer to have painted guitars rather than stained quilted maple tops. but a compendium of knowledge would be nice, imho.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
I agree. The problem will be getting agreement on what the correct knowledge is.

But I absolutely agree that it might be nice to have a collection of people's experiences, particualrly from the workability viewpoint.

yeah, even just what it's like to work with.....for example I recently used walnut as a binding.....and I wouldn't recommend it after my experiences of trying to bend it with a bending iron...i got cracking etc even though i soaked the wood to help flexibility.

So if we could even get experience like that together, and forget about the unwanted debate of sound etc, maybe it would help people. I know I learned on the job making mistakes that I know I wouldn't want other people trying. I don't know....just a thought anyways, decided to throw it out there and see what people thought

Let the flame war begin
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Quote by -MintSauce-
I agree that it would be helpful, but we need to get people building on here first.

+2 to that.

maybe it's just my noobishness, but i think if this thread got started, the task may seem less daunting to people.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.