Hi! I was hoping someone would be able to recommend me a nice hi-gain pedal. I'm basically looking for a Mesa or Peavey-ish tone in a small box.

I'd like to keep my budget under £150, and I'm willing to go pre-owned (but would generally rather go new.) I'm located in Glasgow.

I currently have a Pro Co Rat 2, but it not really cutting it for me. I would rather something with a more extensive EQ. I was looking at the EarthQuaker Devices Talons, any opinions on that would be appreciated!

For a rough idea of the tone I'd like, skip to 0:55 of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9AjvAJooUc

Wampler Triple Wreck. It's a great pedal that copies the sound of Mesa Triple Rectifier. Try finding used one if you can't afford new.
Quote by JackovSlayer
Wampler Triple Wreck. It's a great pedal that copies the sound of Mesa Triple Rectifier. Try finding used one if you can't afford new.

New is definitely out of my budget. I've been looking for a used one for a while, but nothing seems to be popping up

Quote by NakedInTheRain
i have a weehbo bastard in pretty much new nick that i'd ship to you express for 150 quid.

it's the one in this video.

I'm going to be away without my guitar for 9 weeks from the 10th February onwards, so I'm waiting till I'm home before I buy more gear. Just doing a little research at the moment. Thanks for the offer, though!!

are you planning on using this pedal with your VK head? if so you may want to go with an overdrive instead of a distortion pedal.
Take a look at Blackstar's HT-DISTX, BBE's Blacksmith, and Lovepedal's Super Lead. For what you want, I would second the Wampler TripleWreck and the SLOstortion, but they are expensive and probably hard to find in your neck of the woods.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Amt R1/R2 or R-drive
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by monwobobbo
are you planning on using this pedal with your VK head? if so you may want to go with an overdrive instead of a distortion pedal.

I sold the ValveKing a few months ago, forgot to update my profile! When I had it, I was using a Mooer Green Mile to boost it.

Now I have an Egnater Tweaker 40. I love the clean tones, but I haven't found anything high-gain that I'm 100% happy with yet. I'm thinking I'd rather just put a pedal in front of the clean channel.

Quote by FatalGear41
Take a look at Blackstar's HT-DISTX, BBE's Blacksmith, and Lovepedal's Super Lead. For what you want, I would second the Wampler TripleWreck and the SLOstortion, but they are expensive and probably hard to find in your neck of the woods.

Thanks! Never heard of the BBE or the Lovepedal, I'll have a look.

Quote by tas38
Amt R1/R2 or R-drive

I'll look into them!

Last edited by Gerard_xD at Jan 19, 2014,
Hardwire TL-2 is pretty good if you're on a budget.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
You'll definitely want to boost the OD channel with an OD pedal. In almost any case a distortion pedal into a clean amp will not sound as good as a boosted od channel.

Others may disagree, but I feel like even when using a high end pedal for distortion there's a noticeable difference, and not a good one.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
You'll definitely want to boost the OD channel with an OD pedal. In almost any case a distortion pedal into a clean amp will not sound as good as a boosted od channel.

Others may disagree, but I feel like even when using a high end pedal for distortion there's a noticeable difference, and not a good one.

+3.1415 on everything.

also, likely the clean channel on that amp wouldn't have the best platform for a distortion pedal anyway
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yo Code Orange Kids are rad! Could look at a turbo rat and a clean boost stacked together!

Alternativley the Lovepedal MK is £100 Brand new in Andertons, that pedal can spit some nasty distortion out. Things i've noticed is a LOT of newer hardcore/wave bands are using a lot of different filthy pedals to get their range of tones plugged into a not-so-typical for that tone head. Code Orange Kids guitarist was using a Traynor YBA1 at one point!
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by classicrocker01

As I said, I've been doing that so far and I'm not super happy with the tone. Always worth messing around a bit more, but I would like to at least try out a couple of distortions before writing them off completely.

Quote by cliff_em_all
Yo Code Orange Kids are rad! Could look at a turbo rat and a clean boost stacked together!

Alternativley the Lovepedal MK is £100 Brand new in Andertons, that pedal can spit some nasty distortion out. Things i've noticed is a LOT of newer hardcore/wave bands are using a lot of different filthy pedals to get their range of tones plugged into a not-so-typical for that tone head. Code Orange Kids guitarist was using a Traynor YBA1 at one point!

I noticed that too with the Traynor! That's one of the reasons I was thinking about getting my tone through pedals. I've been doing something similar to that so far, stacking my Rat 2 and Mooer Green Mile together. I'll look at some reviews of that Lovepedal, thanks!

I found this picture of her pedalboard if anyone recognises anything?http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/_ourowleyes/10940670896/sizes/l/photostream/

EHX Holy Grail Nano, MXR 10 band (which the guitarists swear by), Boss TU-2, Digitech Jam Man Solo is the pedals and order furthest to nearest.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.