Something for example. I grab my guitar, connect the jack and at the other end there is an usb, connect the usb to pc, open the amp sim and start playing. Most of the stuff i see are just plug-ins for DAW's.
Im pretty sure the big ones like Pod Farm, Guitar rig 5, amplitube, and TH2 have standalone modes. I personally use Guitar Rig 5 without any DAWs for practicing or recording videos.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Amplitube, Peavey Revalver and Guitar Rig. Not as good sounding as plugins but they are relatively simple to use.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Why not just download reaper and use a plugin? Your options open up a lot more, and reaper has an unlimited free trial.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
thats a good point. its often better to learn to set up DAW with plugins. Jamming and recording a cover is often better done with a DAW since any DAW worth anything has a pitch shifter(like Reapers ReaPitch). the pitch shifting in Guitar Rig 5 and the others Iv tried sucks badly.

Another pro for using a Daw is that you can enhance the guitar sim with other VSTs. Lets say you use Amplitube 3. You could useAmplitube 3 as a preamp and fx processor, then enhance it with a poweramp sim like TPA-1(from igniteamps and its free and badass), then you can enhance the sound even more with a Impulse Response(real speaker cab emulator).

One more thing about reaper. If you happen to get a good setup like the one I just described and save the project on reaper. The next time you open Reaper, all those same apps will automatically load. This would make it basically a plug and play method. I styill use GR5 as standalone often, but thats mostly because I already have a nice tone and its quite easy to work with.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
You can run Amplitube as a VST plugin

Poulin LeGion, LE456 FTW tho
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::