Just a quick question about this pedal. Is it actually worth buying? Ive been trying to get my shitty Line 6 amp to sound decent and I heard that this might do it.
10 band: yes. 6 band: lacks a level slider so no. Amp: change it if possible. Which Line 6 model do you have?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jan 19, 2014,
I was planning to get the 10 band. I have a Spider Jam and im going to either get a Randall RX120RH and a cab or a Bugera 333xl in the near future.
Last edited by samuel-hepfer at Jan 19, 2014,
I found an MXR 10 band used (which is pretty easy to do). Awesome pedal. Play it through the effects loop of my Orange Dark Terror. Absolutely brought the amp to life. Pedal did next to nothing in front of amp.
The EQ will definitely help your tone-shaping abilities, but I don't think it will perform any miracles, especially with a Line 6 Spider. If I were to be honest, I'd tell you just to save that money and buy a better amp when you are able. If you still want the pedal after that, then go for it.
I will be getting a new amp soon but not soon enough. I just want to get this amp sounding decent so that I can stand to play on it until I get a new one.
As a former line 6 spider owner, I think the main problem with that amp is going to be with its rather unpleasant, digital tone, which unfortunately will still sound that way with an EQ pedal, especially if you're using a lot of distortion. Maybe get a good distortion pedal and run that through the clean channel? This might help more than an EQ pedal.
As for getting the Randall RX120RH, that's the amp and cab I currently have. If you're going for metal tone, this amp doesn't reach it. I use the clean channel and run a Zoom G2.1 effects processor through it. I'd say save up for a better amp. The Bugera is probably iffy. I don't know how the new infiniums hold up, as far as not catching on fire. But, yeah, I would probably save.
Okay, what about the Randall Kirk Hammett amps? Ive been wanting a Metallica tone and that amp may do it. I dunno about it though mainly because of the solid state. Any suggestions on a good tube amp for under $700?
Quote by samuel-hepfer
Okay, what about the Randall Kirk Hammett amps? Ive been wanting a Metallica tone and that amp may do it. I dunno about it though mainly because of the solid state. Any suggestions on a good tube amp for under $700?

Those are pretty overpriced for what they are. Not saying they're bad amps since I haven't tried them, but you could probably do better.

Classic Metallica tone from Puppets onwards has been the Mesa Mark IIC+, which is very expensive and quite rare. You could probably snag a used Mark III combo for $600-700, and that will get you very close. That's what I would go for.

A Mesa Studio .22 is another option, runs about $400-$500. Underrated amps, you'd probably be happy with one but a Mark III would be closer to the Metallica tone.

For a really cheap option - a Peavey Ultra or Ultra Plus. You can snag a used 1x12 combo for $250, and then use a 10 band EQ to get closer if you feel it's not quite there.

Personally, I'd go for the Mark III, but it's all down to your budget and the availability of amps where you live.
A Mark 3 is a great suggestion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
How about Peavey? Would they be any good for these kinds of tones? Im looking at the 6505+ or the Valve king 2.
Quote by samuel-hepfer
How about Peavey? Would they be any good for these kinds of tones? Im looking at the 6505+ or the Valve king 2.

The 6505+ would probably get something close, the Valveking (I haven't tried the 2, but going on the original) will probably leave something to be desired. The Peavey Ultra/+ would be good, really better than the 6505 for what you want. The Mesa suggestions are the best by far though. This is of course all based on you wanting tones from Puppets onward, if you want early 'Tallica then you want something Marshall-flavored with a boost.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Yeah, I believe Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning were modded JCM 800s. If those are the tones you're after, check out a Marshall DSL 40, a Jet City JCA22 or a Krank 1980 Jr
I've owned 10 band, boss 7 band, and a mxr 6 band that been on my board for years... I like the 6 band because of size and it's perfect for shaping tone.
At the end of the day a chocolate coated piece of dog shit is still a piece of dog shit.

You need a new amp.
Do this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Do not waste your time trying to use an EQ pedal on a digital amp like the Spider.

I have wasted my time. They don't do shit.

Get a good amp with an FX loop, then get an EQ for it if you feel you want to tweak your sound further.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X