Just a quick question.

Any chord can just be moved up the guitar as long as you are barreing it, right? I'm assuming this is the case because F is just E moved one fret (plus the barre acting as the open strings being moved up), and since it is effectively how capos work. If you were to barre it at the 3rd fret, would you be playing a G?

I do it quite a bit while noodling around, just taking the Em and moving it up, or whatever.

I'm 99% sure this is the case, and I like the sound of it so I'm not going to be too concerned, but I'm curious.

PS - Is there a better name for these "shapes"? Like... I don't know, a 6 string major chord or something?
Quote by JakeFrmStatFarm
Just a quick question.

Any chord can just be moved up the guitar as long as you are barreing it, right? I'm assuming this is the case because F is just E moved one fret (plus the barre acting as the open strings being moved up), and since it is effectively how capos work. If you were to barre it at the 3rd fret, would you be playing a G?

Yep, exactly right.

Quote by JakeFrmStatFarm
PS - Is there a better name for these "shapes"? Like... I don't know, a 6 string major chord or something?

If people are going to refer to them by anything they usually use the names taken from the CAGED system, so that one you mentioned earlier is an Em shape.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.