http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542093/Smoking-drinking-pregnancy-increase-chances-baby-gay-claims-professor.html

Professor Swaab believes that a child’s sexuality is determined in the womb and cannot be altered, while others argue that it is affected by upbringing or ‘selected’ as a lifestyle choice.
In his book, We Are Our Brains, he writes: ‘Although it’s frequently assumed that development after birth also importantly affects our sexual orientation, there’s no proof of this whatsoever.
‘Children brought up by lesbians aren’t more likely to be homosexual. Nor is there any evidence at all for the misconception that homosexuality is a “lifestyle choice”.’
Professor Swaab says that the development of the brain during pregnancy is altered by the tiniest of chemical changes.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Will smoking whilst pregnant give you cancer too?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
That's why they're called fags.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

Daily mail, instant ignore.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
"Standard Chartered" but yeah m8

Have a puff

Literally

Have a puff
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by WantsLesPaul
what about dank kush?

makes your baby in a playa, you feel me yeah

I must say it really annoys me this assumption that the two options for how sexuality develops are either A) you choose it, or B) you are born that way.

I know that's not what this guy is saying, but "Children brought up by lesbians aren’t more likely to be homosexual" is a pretty simplistic understanding of it.

Sure, sexual attraction is such a fundamentally biological thing it's unlikely there's not large biological underpinnings, but sexual attraction is also such a psychological and social matter it's highly unlikely that you're just born with your entire sexual preferences set out.

Regardless though, I always think the correct answer to people who think it's a choice shouldn't be "no, they're born that way" it should be "even if it were, who cares?"
I know someone who has a Masters in Neuroscience, who also happens to be (openly) gay, and he views homosexuality as a (genetic) disorder.

What about that.. Kinda odd, he never had any shit with being homosexual either (parents were understanding, not bullied for it etc.)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 20, 2014,
Quote by slash_GNR666
Have a puff

Literally

Have a puff

Ah, clever.

Also Kensai's back, who knew
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I know someone who has a Masters in Neuroscience, who also happens to be (openly) gay, and he views homosexuality as a (genetic) disorder.

What about that.. Kinda odd, he never had any shit with being homosexual either (parents were understanding, not bullied for it etc.)

The thing is, this guys research doesn't necessarily need to call it a disorder, that's entirely a value judgement imposed afterwards.

These articles are being phrased as "x during pregnancy can make your child gay" when all actually they're showing is that "x during pregnancy can determine sexuality". To say that certain drugs can make your child more likely be gay or straight, that birth order can affect the likelihood of being a certain sexuality, stress can etc etc none of that in itself shows homosexuality to be a disorder. All it shows is that certain conditions make one way more likely, others make another way more likely.

The only part of this that supports the idea of homosexuality being a disorder is the discourse around it. It's viewed as not saying what conditions affect sexuality, rather it's being viewed as saying what conditions make people gay. These are only disorders or deviances from the norm when you already view homosexuality as a deviance from the norm.
Quote by CrazyMatt
oh dear..

also: hi kensai

Wait... wat?

Quote by Kensai

Praise da lawd!
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Last edited by slash_GNR666 at Jan 20, 2014,
Quote by Kensai

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Although the Daily Mail is a terrible source, Professor Swaab happens to be one of the worlds leading experts on neuroscience.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender
Although the Daily Mail is a terrible source, Professor Swaab happens to be one of the worlds leading experts on neuroscience.

I just read up a bit on the guy..

sounds like he is a a bit of a tool
but I'm betting that a lot of what he says gets taken out of context etc so..
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
I didn't see the reference in the posted bit to smoking, but this is correct, it's the present paradigm that certain chemical changes in the mother's bloodstream during certain critical junctures of development may contribute. I suppose it's possible that the chemicals ingested from smoking might contribute....But we note that homosexuality was common in the Western world long before the discovery of tobacco....

At present, according to the research, there are three potential factors.
One, there appears to be a genetic component. In identical twins, there is a greater-than-normal chance that if one twin is homosexual, the other will be.
However, it's not a 100% correlation, indicating that genetics is not the whole story.

Second, the mentioned chemical influence. This is more commonly attributed to hormonal changes rather than externally-ingested chemicals.

Finally, "environmental" influences after birth but early in life....As yet unknown.

It's complex.
So this is the cause of the degeneracy in our culture.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Skyler no!!!!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
Skyler no!!!!

Marie eating Holly has a whole new meaning now.

Quote by CrazyMatt
I just read up a bit on the guy..

sounds like he is a a bit of a tool
but I'm betting that a lot of what he says gets taken out of context etc so..

I'm quite interested what sources you've been reading then. The conclusions of some of his research may be controversial to some, but he is most certainly an intelligent man.

Quote by Trowzaa
Marie eating Holly has a whole new meaning now.

Maybe Shania Twain will give her the tugjob
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Lord Waltaa
Kensai is back?

No it's just a mod pretending to be him, the real Kensai died years ago.

what about the daily prophet?

what does it say?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Fisheth24
Will smoking whilst pregnant give you cancer too?

No, the baby acts as a cancer sponge and absorbs all the carcinogens from cigarette smoke.

Quote by captaincrunk
understanding the cause of gayness is about as relevant as understanding the mating patterns of trash bags

I think a better analogy would be understanding the cause of global warming since they're both detrimental to society and only by understanding their cause and coming together can we mitigate it's effects.
Last edited by JackWhiteIsButts at Jan 20, 2014,