This past weekend a few buddies and I got together to jam for the first time in a long time. The other guitarist had a Marshall 175w combo tube amp. I had my 75w line 6 head with Marshall mg412a cab.

I had to put my rig to max power and it sounded like crap. My first question is how do I boost the volume? Do I get another can or a better head?
My second question is, if I do get a better head what kind of wattage should I look for? I found a Marshall head at 60w for almost 600 bucks while my 75w head cost only 200. Am I missing something here?

Sorry for so many questions but I am clueless here. Thanks in advance for any help.
Wow. For a little "jamming" you guys must be LOUD! A 75 watt head through a 4 X 12 Marshall cab should be more than enough power. Instead of trying to get louder than your buddy and starting a "who can get louder" volume war, how about asking him to turn it down. After all it's about the playing not the volume isn't it?
Well the thing is the drummer is loud and doesn't know how to tone it down. It's a bit of a piss off but he's the only drummer we know so we have to be loud, unfortunately.
I'm assuming your line 6 is solid state... Right?

They don't cope as well as tubes under high volume. They tend to thin out and become muddy. Your bandmate's combo (175 watts!?) handles high levels easier because it utilises tubes and they thrive in high volume scenarios.

Tube wattage does not directly correlate to solid state... A 10 watt tube amp can easily keep up with a drummer
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
He read the back of the combo and said it said 175w, maybe he read it wrong. I don't have much knowledge of this stuff lol. So you're saying a 60w tube head (if that's a thing) would put out much more power than my solid state 75w ?
Quote by TheLazerViiking
He read the back of the combo and said it said 175w, maybe he read it wrong. I don't have much knowledge of this stuff lol. So you're saying a 60w tube head (if that's a thing) would put out much more power than my solid state 75w ?

Yes, it will be louder.

What amp does your friend have? I've never heard of a Marshall 175 watt combo amp. Maybe he read the power of speakers in it or something else.
Quote by TheLazerViiking

Likely what he read was the input power requirement on the AC line, not the output wattage. Happens to a lot of people.

Contrary to some claims, wattage is wattage. 1 watt solid state and 1 watt tube are IDENTICAL as regards measured volume through the same speaker.

BUT....and it's a huge BUT. Tube amps will produce more than their rated output, as the rating is based on a 'clean' (THD) number, and they are designed to be driven into distortion. SS amps when driven to distortion just sound like festered ass, that's why any number of electronic tricks are used to 'create' a distorted sound in most of them.

Also, the 'voicing', or the frequency region(s) where the amp itself is designed to be the most efficient plays a huge part in how one is heard in a multi-player setting.

Number of speakers, speaker efficiency and speaker voicing also provide a significant effect on the overall volume, both perceived and actual.

It's not a simple comparison, nor can it be solved by merely comparing wattage.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 20, 2014,
I have no idea of the model number. I know it's new, cost about $750 cdn. It's a tube amp and has 1, 12" speaker and is just taller than half a 4 x 12 cab. If that helps.
Why not put a screen of some kind in front of the drummer, to "muffle" the drums a bit? Although it seems you're playing at ridiculous volumes. I seriously doubt that even a loud drummer is louder than a cranked up 75W solid state amp.