This article is from back in May last year, so not exactly breaking news but I thought I'd share just because it's an issue close to my heart as a musician.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/opinion/the-day-the-music-died-in-mali.html?_r=0

Cultures destroyed, careers destroyed, lives destroyed all because of one group of militants threatening musicians, shutting down venues and burning instruments.

I'm aware the militants aren't in full control of Mali either, but still I think the fear of being killed will put musicians off ever playing music.

Thoughts?
Crazy shit happening in 3rd world Africa? Okay.

Although, this is different from the normal activities of child soldiers lopping off the hands of villagers.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
people are crazy.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by JustRooster
Crazy shit happening in 3rd world Africa? Okay.

Although, this is different from the normal activities of child soldiers lopping off the hands of villagers.

I know right who'd of thought it?!

Yeah I suppose in a way this seems a lot better than child soldiers and excessive violence (although they tend to be in different parts of Africa). But it's still just an example of how a lot of peopke's culture is being destroyed, which has a bigger impact on the bigger picture.
I wouldn't be suprised if children growing up in poverty, without good education or culture, will be more inclined towards becoming involved in militant groups.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
I know right who'd of thought it?!

Yeah I suppose in a way this seems a lot better than child soldiers and excessive violence (although they tend to be in different parts of Africa). But it's still just an example of how a lot of peopke's culture is being destroyed, which has a bigger impact on the bigger picture.
I wouldn't be suprised if children growing up in poverty, without good education or culture, will be more inclined towards becoming involved in militant groups.

Which is obviously what militant groups would want.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Banning music means no protest songs which means one less medium of resistance for the opposition to use. There is method in such madness, but this seems more about asserting dominance than about limiting resistance.

I abhor authorities that try to limit expression, music especially as it is very close to my heart as a music lover and attempting musician, and these militants seem not to understand that the more you tell people not to do something the more they will want to do it. Whether it means black markets open up selling music, secret meetings where music is played quietly or whatever the case may be, people will find ways to get around such a ridiculous ban.
Adding nothing of major interest to topics on UG since March 03, 2007.

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Just because you have skill doesn't mean you sound good.
Last edited by Engel22 at Jan 20, 2014,
The idea of a group of Mali activists meeting up and all putting on headphones to listen to some Danny Brown whilst they meekly wait for the door to get kicked in by Militants might be the best thought I've ever had
Quote by willT08
The idea of a group of Mali activists meeting up and all putting on headphones to listen to some Danny Brown whilst they meekly wait for the door to get kicked in by Militants might be the best thought I've ever had

would make a good music video

contact Rise Against to get paid
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Old news indeed, the French army went in and kicked the militants out of the towns they occupied and restored at least some semblance of order.
Mali is famous for it's music scene, Bela Fleck recorded quite a bit there for his album "Throw Down Your Heart" about the roots of the banjo in Africa.
NPR's The World interviewed several prominent Malian musicians who said they would indeed sneak out into the "bush" and play while the Islamists went clueless.
I Love Malinese music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd1qvSqF9uE

This whole thing sounds awful, but tbh I think African culture has survived way worse than what's been happening to northern Mali in recent years. Music has the advantage that it can't really be "destroyed". Sure, you can try to forbid it and perhaps even kill a few musicians, but it will always resurface because people who go through harsh times find so much solace in it

The mindless killings and material damage his beautiful nation and its people have had to endure (I believe they've damaged some ancient monuments in the city of Timbuktu for instance, which are pretty much irreplacable) should not be taken lightly. Let's hope the international community does everything in its power to prevent this conflict from becoming a second Darfur

Thank you for your time, here's some Congolese music as a bonus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw_DbDgy93g

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jan 20, 2014,
Quote by TunerAddict
would make a good music video

contact Rise Against to get paid

Give it a "George Bush sux lol" angle and Rise Against will take it.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Thrashtastic15
they should just download wills sounds, no music there

lelelelelelelel

Moving people through sound since 1994
Quote by Thrashtastic15
they should just download wills sounds, no music there

lelelelelelelel

#ShotsFired

"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Whoa people still listen to music?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
But what about Ballake Sissoko and his kora?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by shwilly
I Love Malinese music

I think there's a lot of great African music out there, it wasn't until last year I really started paying attention to it. One of my tutors is a big fan of Fela Kuti and Afrobeat, and he's played all over the world in 'World/Ethnic' (as vague and stupid as those terms are) music groups.

Oh and Great posts/videos!
Quote by Bikewer
Old news indeed, the French army went in and kicked the militants out of the towns they occupied and restored at least some semblance of order.

They kicked them out of Timbuktu and probably a few others. I dunno if they're completely dealt with though? But I wouldn't know.
Wouldn't suprise me if they came back.
Quote by I.O.T.M
Give it a "George Bush sux lol" angle and Rise Against will take it.

hahahahahhaahaha I love how after Obama got elected and continued to do the same shit all the punk bands mysteriously shut up.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
^ I dunno, people like Tom Morello and Trent Reznor are dissing Obama pretty actively. (Trent is not very punk though
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
hahahahahhaahaha I love how after Obama got elected and continued to do the same shit all the punk bands mysteriously shut up.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JyqZP0huPAw

"sick of the GOP, sick of liberals, sick of me. sick of Obama, sick of head trauma, so very tired of feeling sick."
i don't know why i feel so dry