I live in university halls, so need to be mindful of noise. I already have a bass guitar, which is great because it makes fairly little acoustic noise, so you can plug in your headphones and play away without disturbing anyone. I got an electric guitar for christmas, and even when not plugged in, it's pretty darn loud. I'm pretty sure my flatmates can hear me, especially the higher strings, and that's kind of putting me off playing it (especially since I'm a beginner, I'm self-conscious about people hearing me screw up).

So what can I do to reduce the acoustic sound of my electric guitar? When I play it through headphones, I want to be the only person who can hear it. Is there a string material which is known for being quieter? A certain pick type? Can I actually wrap something around the strings to muffle them?

I know it sounds weird to buy a musical instrument and then complain that it makes a noise, but this is actually preventing me from playing at the moment. If there's a way to make it about as loud as a bass acoustically, that would be awesome.

If it helps to know, I have a Lindo ZST series with steel strings. I haven't changed the strings since I got it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Muffling the strings will pretty much mute them and deny you the ability to hear what you're playing. It's not that loud unplugged at all, and if you play with a HD500 or a GT100 or even better an Eleven Rack or (even better than that) a Kemper during the day anyone who complains can go **** themselves.

They would hardly be able to hear it and it's perfectly reasonable to play in the day.

Halls are a riot, is it a convent or something?
The halls I live in are known for being quiet - people here generally stay in their rooms and get on with their work (apart from the odd party, of course).

I guess the bigger issue here is me feeling a bit too self-conscious. Maybe the guitar will help...

I don't use amp modelling though - my guitar and bass each have a 15W amp and that's fine for me at the moment!
Just practice. No biggie, just learn some cool songs that girls like and they'll hear that as they walk past.

Kempers don't model, they profile. The 11 Rack is great, you should have a look into it, you can get them cheap on ebay.
After practising today, I feel a lot more confident. I'll definitely have a look at an 11 Rack or equivalent when I reach that stage. Cheers for the help!
Quote by Mephaphil
Just practice. No biggie, just learn some cool songs that girls like and they'll hear that as they walk past.

Kempers don't model, they profile. The 11 Rack is great, you should have a look into it, you can get them cheap on ebay.

Oh there's a difference?

TS, your playing an electric guitar. the idea is, put on your leather jacket, and **** them, your playing.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by yeehawgeetar
. . . . I got an electric guitar for christmas, and even when not plugged in, it's pretty darn loud. I'm pretty sure my flatmates can hear me, especially the higher strings, . . . . .

Oh come on! An electric guitar unplugged is as quiet as you're going to get (unless it's a semi-acoustic like an E-335 or similar - and even they are pretty darn quiet).

You're going to be snoring louder than that
Last edited by Garthman at Jan 21, 2014,