Hi. I have a marshall 4x12 cab that I would like to use to play my iPod music through. Since I'm new to all this stuff and have no idea what I'm doing I thought I'd ask here first to see if it's ok.

So is it ok to just hook my iPod up to the speakers? Not going through the amp or anything? Will it damage the speakers?

Thanks in advance for the help!
You may be damaging the speakers if you're not careful.
You'll not hear anything good anyway.

You have an impedance problem here - your output impedance is about 10k ohms, while the input impedance will be 4 to 16 ohms.
That will just lead to a bad sound and maybe damaging your speakers.

You could plug your ipod into your amp's fx loop return, that will work and not damage anything, though it'll sound bad.
Guitar speakers' frequency response curves aren't really good for already mixed music.
They're actually done for guitars, y' know, so yeah, it'll not sound good.

In the end, don't do it.
No good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I think it will sound like shit if you play your iPod through guitar speakers because they are designed for guitar, they are not made for listening to music.
It will not work. The iPod does not put out anywhere enough power to push those speakers. If you used some kind of amp to amplify the iPod then you'd potentially risk damaging the amp... And it'd still sound like shit. Guitar speakers color the sound in a way that a hi fi system does not, and it won't be pleasant.

No, don't do it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks guys. Good thing I checked here first haha I'll refrain from pigging in now. Thanks!
One thing you WON'T do is 'damage' your speakers.

It may not sound great, and certainly you don't have enough power to adequately drive the speakers from the iPod itself, but the thought that you'll damage the speakers due to impedance mismatch is ridiculous.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 20, 2014,
Your iPod will have nowhere near the power to push a 412 cabinet like an amp head would. Some amps have an "aux in" so you could try using that. It won't "damage" the speakers if you hook it up through an amp head or power amp correctly.
Quote by tubetime86
If you used some kind of amp to amplify the iPod then you'd potentially risk damaging the amp....
?

why?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
?

why?

Hey, you're the one that said it could damage the speakers due to impedance mismatch, perhaps you're not in the best position to call others into question?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I used to do this all the time for practicing. I'd plug my Ipod into my amp using the AUX input and play along.

It may not sound the best, but it's not terrible like everyone here is saying.
^ he doesn't want to use an aux input, he wants to go iPod -> cab.

Quote by Arby911
Hey, you're the one that said it could damage the speakers due to impedance mismatch, perhaps you're not in the best position to call others into question?
Sorry, I'm still practicing with the impedance thing.

But I actually wanted to know why, so next time some people will ask I'll be able to answer properly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Sorry, I'm still practicing with the impedance thing.

But I actually wanted to know why, so next time some people will ask I'll be able to answer properly.

i can see no obvious reason why it would damage the amp. as long as you are observing the usual requirements of plugging an amp into the speaker cab.

maybe dan thought someone would be plugging the ipod in through the preamp of the amp, at that point i have heard damage could be caused to the amp, especially if you crank the ipod real loud. i have never observed such a thing happening, besides we shove preamps in front of amps all the time to drive the hell out the preamp section so i don't see how an ipod would be any more dangerous than something like an LPB booster.

i also don't see any obvious reason why the speakers would be damaged if you plugged in ipod directly to them either.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ yeah, again, sorry, I'm still practicing.

They could have been damaged if the iPod's output impedance was significantly lower than the cab's input's, but that's not the case so no damage to anything whatsoever, as far as my knowledge of the thing goes.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
They could have been damaged if the iPod's output impedance was significantly lower than the cab's input's

why would that be the case?

from my basic understanding of what is going on, a speaker's impedance is derived from the amount, size and shape of the wire used in the voice coil. then an electrical current (the output from the amp) is applied to the wire in the voice coil. i don't see how the "output impedance" from an ipod could damage the voice coil unless the ipod runs so much current through the speaker(s) that it creates enough heat to melt the voice coil wire together.

besides, from what i understand if the amp's impedance is much lower than the speaker's impedance then that should just be impedance bridging. that is how pretty much all solid state amps work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_bridging
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 20, 2014,
Aww, thanks for that, my bad again.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Ya I was just loosely saying that there are bad things that can be done when plugging shit into shit it's not meant to be plugged into. If he knew what he was doing it could be safely done, but this thread makes it clear that he does not, hence his question.

But despite debating the nuances, we all know the real answer is simple; it'll sound like shit.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 20, 2014,