I'm trying to purchase my first half stack but I'm lost at which one to buy. I do not have the money for a $1000 tube head, I need affordability but I want it to be a monster with high gain. But also versatile. I play metal mostly and would like to be able to so the avenged sevenfold five finger death punch trivium sound. But I also want to be able to do nice cleans and roll it back to some light rock matchbox 20 switchfoot sounds. It also has to be loud, ive got a peavy 110 envoy that's 75w and when i try to get loud enough to be heard over my drummer it gets muddy and sounds horrid. Id like very tight Bottoms with nice miss and highs. I'd preferably like to get this and the cab for <700. I play an esp ltd v that's mahogany with 2 dimarzio d activator neck and bridge pups. Also needs an effects loop.
Why not a combo or a head and a 2x12? Half stacks are cool visually, but they don't really do anything that other variations can't do.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have nothing against a 2x12 but I'd rather not have a combo just because I feel a head could give the distortion sounds and versatility I want better
Quote by TYSHADOWS
I have nothing against a 2x12 but I'd rather not have a combo just because I feel a head could give the distortion sounds and versatility I want better

Good combo amp can give you good sound too.
Your best bet here is to go used. I'd say maybe look into a Peavey XXX head and the rest of the budget goes into the cab. The XXX has a crunchy distortion channel as well as a high gain distortion channel, a pretty good clean channel and it has an effects loop. I've seen XXX's go as low as $400 around here which would leave $300 for a cab, I've gotten a 1960a that cheap before, granted not in the best cosmetic shape but you really will need a decent cab if you want the amp to sound as it should. Anything solid state really isn't going to get the job done at higher levels, at least from my experiences both using and observing at local shows.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at Jan 20, 2014,
What i liked about the stacks were i could part eventually without getting all new stuff. I was looking at the Randall rg1503h with matching cab, but i wasn't sure if there was anything better available.
The xxx is tube? And does it handle well at high volumes? Because that's the problem with my combo, it breaks up past the point that I feel a noise gate could help
Yes, the XXX is tube.

Furthermore, I think it would fit the bill nicely for what you want
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yep the XXX is tube, 4 12ax7 and 4 6L6/EL34, it can take either. I have had it, it does high volume just fine
+More

would a used tube 120w XXX be a better long term investment than a new solid state 150w Randall rg1503h?
Last edited by TYSHADOWS at Jan 20, 2014,
Quote by TYSHADOWS
would a used tube 120w XXX be a better long term investment than a new solid state 150w Randall rg1503h?

Yes
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by TYSHADOWS

Infinitely. Neither solid states nor randalls hold their value terribly well
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Any advice on cabs? I don't really know much besides wattage and supposedly Celestine v30s are the best
Speakers are all about preference, you can get the matching cab for cheap as well if you can find it. I used mine with a 1960b that seemed to work well enough
+More

A 1960 would be a good choice, as would Avatar, Vader, or Orange
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

If you aren’t gigging big enough venues to pay for a 4x12 and a head then you don’t need a 4x12 and a head. Spend your money on a nice 2x12 combo.
Quote by TYSHADOWS
Because that's the problem with my combo, it breaks up past the point that I feel a noise gate could help

See... This just doesn't make any sense, and means you have some misconceptions. Break up in an amp is determined by headroom, which is related to wattage... Combo or head really has no bearing on that. Even if we were discussing speaker break up, which I doubt you are, then speaker selection is a lot more important than the number of them... Much less whether they're in a combo or cabinet.

Quote by Arby911
As I've posted elsewhere, Buy This. (Today Only)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/?src=3TP3DRR&noPopup=true

Then go buy a 4x12 if you really want one.

Sorted!

This is the answer.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Proves my point right here haha http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/4295056483.html

You don't happen to be in the Chicago area do you?
+More