I'm currently adding on to my pedal collection, and I'm having some bad humming noise come from my BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion pedal. I would much rather use the overdrive channel on my amp, but due to the restrictions of the setting I play in, I have the amp set under the stage. So, the DS-2 is pretty much a necessity.

Anyone have ideas on how I can remove this humming noise? I don't want to buy a noise gate - I've got my tone down to a tee finally, and I don't trust noise suppressors to not take away from my sound - but it looks like this might be the only option, other than using my volume pedal in between songs.

This is my set up:

Squier Telecaster Vintage-Modified Custom II with Duncan P90's
Peavey 212 Classic VT Combo amp

Pedals from guitar to amp:

Planet Waves PWCT 04 tuner
BBE Sonic Maximizer
BOSS CS-3 Compressor Sustainer
BOSS DN-2 Dyna Drive
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
MXR Chorus
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume
BOSS FRV-1 Reverb
BOSS DD-7 Delay

Also, I'm about to add a BOSS PH-3 Phase Shifter, and a Cry Baby Wah into the mix.

I'm thinking the DS-2 is humming badly because its next in line behind the Dyna Drive. I use the Dyna Drive to add tone to my cleans (which sounds freaking amazing btw), not too much just a little to add brightness. Even though I'm very conservative with the dyna drive, I think it still outputs quite a bit of gain. But I'm not sure of any other place in the effects loop I could set the DS-2 where it wouldn't hum as much...

Any help would be much appreciated!

B1ll
What you really need is a new amp.

Anyway, if you hear no hum coming from the amp at low volumes, get a noise gate.
They're not noise suppressors, they're gates.
Low volume, you don't hear anything.
High volume, good pedals will bypass most of the thing and you'll not be able to tell the difference.

Done that, you can turn the gain down.

If that still doesn't work (or better, you don't do it hard enough) you can shield your guitar and get better quality cables and an isolated power supply.

You just can't make a pedal not hum by changing its position, and putting it before the dyna drive will result in less hum but a different sound, so you might not wanna do that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ Yep, you need a noise gate.
get rid of the BBE and put your time based FX in the FX loop, if you don't have an FX loop, get an amp that does.

Good cables can make a huge difference

Why is your amp under the stage? I have never heard of anyone doing this.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Spambot_2
What you really need is a new amp.

Anyway, if you hear no hum coming from the amp at low volumes, get a noise gate.
They're not noise suppressors, they're gates.
Low volume, you don't hear anything.
High volume, good pedals will bypass most of the thing and you'll not be able to tell the difference.

Done that, you can turn the gain down.

If that still doesn't work (or better, you don't do it hard enough) you can shield your guitar and get better quality cables and an isolated power supply.

You just can't make a pedal not hum by changing its position, and putting it before the dyna drive will result in less hum but a different sound, so you might not wanna do that.

Thanks for the help man. But what to do you mean by shielding the guitar? And what do you mean by isolated? I have all the pedals on ac adaptors running into my pedal board (i bought this board at a local music store, used, so I have no idea what brand it is), and on main power supply from the board running into a surge protector, then into a wall outlet on stage. You think theres anything wrong with that?

Well, I've been wanting to find an excuse to invest in some new cables, so hopefully that will help a bit!

Thanks again
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ Yep, you need a noise gate.
get rid of the BBE and put your time based FX in the FX loop, if you don't have an FX loop, get an amp that does.

Good cables can make a huge difference

Why is your amp under the stage? I have never heard of anyone doing this.

I gig with a rock band 3-4 times a month with this set up, except with a Marshall JCM800 head with a Marshall 4X12 slanted half stack, located directly behind me. But this particular setup is for my church band on Sundays. We have a decibel restriction that we can't surpass, which is around 90 db. When I played with the amp on stage directly behind me, we were well over 95 db, so I decided to place the amp directly below me under the stage. It sucks, but its the best fix I could come up with, even after trying to lift the amp off the stage and tilt it back to face my head, for direct monitoring.

If it was up to me, we would be playing well over 90 db!

And as for the BBE Sonic Maximizer, I will admit, I have no friggin clue what this thing does. I got the sales pitch at Guitar Center around 6 yrs ago, about how it takes your low and high frequencies and adjusts them to be in sync with each other - whatever that means. I can't tell any difference in my tone/sound when it's on, so I just kept it in the loop.

The Peavey amp isn't mine, and the last time I saw it was about a year ago haha so I'm going to crawl under the stage this week and check to see if there is an FX loop on it. Can you tell me why running my board through this would be better than just through the amps input?

Thanks!
Some of those pedals are effects designed to be used on an already shaped sound, so since the preamp shapes the sound quite a bit they're commonly used in fx loops.

Also...
Quote by B1llDanc3
Thanks for the help man. But what to do you mean by shielding the guitar? And what do you mean by isolated? I have all the pedals on ac adaptors running into my pedal board (i bought this board at a local music store, used, so I have no idea what brand it is), and on main power supply from the board running into a surge protector, then into a wall outlet on stage. You think theres anything wrong with that?

Well, I've been wanting to find an excuse to invest in some new cables, so hopefully that will help a bit!

Thanks again
The surge protector together with the supply in your pedalboard look like a good setup.
The right word was shielding, not insulating, sorry.
Anyway here's a tutorial, if you don't like this in particular google is your friend.

This should reduce the hum quite a bit, but the big difference is done by the cables in my experience.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 21, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
Some of those pedals are effects designed to be used on an already shaped sound, so since the preamp shapes the sound quite a bit they're commonly used in fx loops.

Also...
The surge protector together with the supply in your pedalboard look like a good setup.
The right word was shielding, not insulating, sorry.
Anyway here's a tutorial, if you don't like this in particular google is your friend.

This should reduce the hum quite a bit, but the big difference is done by the cables in my experience.

DUDE. I'm going to do this. I love my Custom II, so this will be put on the to do list.

I've been looking at the BOSS NS-2 Noise Suppressor. Thoughts?
Guitar players never listen to lead singers.
I ended up buying the NS-2 Noise Suppressor, but I'm not sure where I should place in my pedal chain. I had it after the DS-2 Turbo Overdrive from guitar to amp, but it didn't help at all. Seemed like it didn't even work.
Quote by B1llDanc3
DUDE. I'm going to do this. I love my Custom II, so this will be put on the to do list.

You may wanna put that at the end of your FX loop signal chain and keep it with the same settings all the time.
What are the settings that aren't working anyway?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
(Invalid img)

This is my setup currently. I have the NS-2 behind the Turbo Overdrive and right before my volume pedal. It's NOT working at all. I'm going to try and move to the very end of the chain tonight, although, I have been checking out pedal chain succession, and this sight says to place noise gates/noise suppressors right behind overdrive pedals, and before modulation pedals.

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/peorar.html">http://http://www.humbuckermusic.com/peorar.html

Also, I have just switched out my amp from the Peavey classic 2X12, to a Fender Blues Jr. 1X12 with EL84 tubes. It does not have an FX loop.

Thanks for all the help guys!