Hey guys, I'm helping my one friend find an amp and I came across a Bugera V22. The amp sounds pretty good from the demos I heard online and fits when he needs (a nice clean channel, channel switching, good with pedals, gigable, he plays pop rock so nothing very heavy). My only concern is how reliable is the V22? He was going to buy it used from Guitar Center for $250 and I just wanted some second opinions. I was probably going to go with him to check it out.

EDIT: Please stop recommending other stuff. Although I do appreciate it, I'm asking about the reliability of the Bugera V22.

Update: I guess my friend already just bought it. He got some form of protection plan with it so he should be covered. Thanks for the help guys.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Jan 20, 2014,
Go $50 more and get a used Peavey Classic 30. It is worth every penny.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've never had one, but I've heard more than once that it's the only reliable bugera.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i second the peavey. i owned a v22 and i would take it to gigs, but i would not call it, gig worthy. i mean that is subjective, but bugera is on the lower end.

it was a fine bedroom amp for years. i even practiced live in a garage setting - left it in summer heat on an uncooled garage. held up fine. mighty fine little amp for what i paid.

IT REQUIRES a tube change, alteast V1 preamp. 15 dollar tube swap. i did a 5751 in v1 and it worked wonders.

but i second the peavey classic series. very reliable.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
My bassist has a V22 that I jam through at practice because I'm too weak to lug my Mesa around . Been doing it for a year and it hasn't broken down, apart from a bad preamp tube at one point (which isn't the amp's fault). The V22 is certainly one of the more reliable Bugeras.

I'd try it first though, and definitely check out the Peavey that's been mentioned.
I think he'll be fine with Bugera V22.

Cool little amp. The yellow tolex is kind of ugly. Looks like snot. Tone wise it is good though.

There were some overheating issues with the V series early on but I think it was mostly with the V55 and has since been resolved with some heat sink.
Peavey Valveking 1x12 $199-$299
Peavey Classic 30 $299
Fender Blues Jr $279

I found all of these at GC's used site. The V22 is not a bad amp and it is one of the more reliable Bugera amps made, but these are worth a look also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I love the Peavey Classics, great amps. The Bugera I tried at my local store had a nice clean channel but unusable gain channel (that might be an easy fix with a tube swap/speaker upgrade)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by Robbgnarly
Peavey Valveking 1x12 $199-$299
Peavey Classic 30 $299
Fender Blues Jr $279

I found all of these at GC's used site. The V22 is not a bad amp and it is one of the more reliable Bugera amps made, but these are worth a look also

Hey I appreciate the recommendations but none of those are in my area. My friend (as well as myself) want to be able to try them out before we buy.

And to the poster above me thanks for the heads up. My friend has a few overdrive pedals (Custom Badass OD and a TS-9) so he should be able to make it work.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Jan 20, 2014,
Quote by schecter ftw
Hey I appreciate the recommendations but none of those are in my area. My friend (as well as myself) want to be able to try them out before we buy.

And to the poster above me thanks for the heads up. My friend has a few overdrive pedals (Custom Badass OD and a TS-9) so he should be able to make it work.

Are there any of those amps in your area you can try out to see what you do and do not like. You can order the amp to your GC and if you don't like it get a refund on the spot. GC has a 30 day return policy on used gear.

Like said the V22 is a decent amp, but having own a Bugera for years I would take any of what I listed over the V22
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate