Hey guys, I recorded the instrumental part of my band xolarias new song today, and for the life of me i cant get a good mix. Its really my first time trying to mix 7 string guitar. I would REALLY appreciate if someone on here could help me out. I have a link to all the raw files (The only guitar tracks with a tone are my lead ones, I LOVE that tone) all in wav form. I also have the drum midi, a xylophone/chime part midi section, and my attempt at a mix, excluding the bells, because i dont have a way to do it. If anybody does mix this, I will give them FULL PRODUCTION/MIXING/MASTERING credit.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zc2qjmb70cf7r1j/Files%20for%20UG.zip

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Jake P
If you want a really good result, you really need to tighten up the playing. The pick attack is not very even and the timing is off in a lot of places, both in guitar and bass. And there's all sorts of weird bleeding going on (drum/click bleeds in the guitar/bass DI's??)
The only way to get a solid mix is to start with solid tracks (or at least good editing, but that takes way more time than just getting playing right in the first place)

Sorry to be harsh, but you can only polish a turd so much!

Song is cool though
I gave it a go, re-amped through my Axe-FX II, I think my presets have a little too much noisegate for your guitar, but I didn't want to make a bunch of new presets and stuff.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4470995/Xolarias.mp3

I did not include the bells.
Anyway, I gave the guitar some more high end to make it seem natural.

And I agree with the comments above, tighter playing could really benefit this song.
Enjoy,
Bas
xFilth hit the nail on the head, from what I can tell without downloading that file to this computer. I may give it a go if bored later/tomorrow, but from what BaZaH posted just - you may be happy with the lead tone (live, at least) but that isn't really very clear or cutting and isn't recorded well enough to fit in with the rhythm tones he has in his mix (which are presumably DI's reamped, whereas the lead tracks are a mic'd up amp?). Anyway, will reserve any further judgement until I've had a look myself.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by BaZaH
I gave it a go, re-amped through my Axe-FX II, I think my presets have a little too much noisegate for your guitar, but I didn't want to make a bunch of new presets and stuff.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4470995/Xolarias.mp3

I did not include the bells.
Anyway, I gave the guitar some more high end to make it seem natural.

And I agree with the comments above, tighter playing could really benefit this song.
Enjoy,
Bas

Hey man i dig it! Good job dude. Thanks!

And to everyone else, I DEFINITELY will wind up rerecording this, wrote the song a few days ago, and am just getting use to playing an 8 string. So much different than My six
Quote by DisarmGoliath
xFilth hit the nail on the head, from what I can tell without downloading that file to this computer. I may give it a go if bored later/tomorrow, but from what BaZaH posted just - you may be happy with the lead tone (live, at least) but that isn't really very clear or cutting and isn't recorded well enough to fit in with the rhythm tones he has in his mix (which are presumably DI's reamped, whereas the lead tracks are a mic'd up amp?). Anyway, will reserve any further judgement until I've had a look myself.

The lead is actually a slightly modded guitar rig 4 preset. And you hit the nail on the head, it is what i LOVE to use live.
Quote by xFilth
If you want a really good result, you really need to tighten up the playing. The pick attack is not very even and the timing is off in a lot of places, both in guitar and bass. And there's all sorts of weird bleeding going on (drum/click bleeds in the guitar/bass DI's??)
The only way to get a solid mix is to start with solid tracks (or at least good editing, but that takes way more time than just getting playing right in the first place)

Sorry to be harsh, but you can only polish a turd so much!

Song is cool though

The bleeding through of the metronome baffles me. I recorded DI through a Behringer AI, straight into reaper. I do totally hear what u mean, and i def. should rerecord this cleaner one day.
Think I'll do this in a bit, not gonna give an expected time for it seeing as I haven't seen the state of the raw tracks yet but it's mix practice so
What tempo is this? I thought it was 120bpm, based on the names of some of the tracks, but if that's the case it sounds like (so far) the bass track starts too early?

Edit: Somewhere around 175bpm? No?
Quote by DisarmGoliath
What tempo is this? I thought it was 120bpm, based on the names of some of the tracks, but if that's the case it sounds like (so far) the bass track starts too early?

Edit: Somewhere around 175bpm? No?

Its 175 the time sig changes a bit but tempo wise its all 175
No worries, I figured that out in the end. As a general rule of thumb, if you are ever sending out files to somebody to mix - it's best to clarify what the numbers in any track titles mean, in an accompanying text file (or in your post here), as it was a bit of a mindfulck to set it at 120bpm and then hear the cacophony of tempos

Did this anyway, although I'm aware that a few of the cymbals are incorrect - SSD doesn't use General MIDI and I couldn't be bothered to go through the mixes here and figure out what was supposed to be what, so I just did my own thing for the few bits that didn't translate into the same mapping as my kit in SSD

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30475936/UGMixHelpJan14.mp3

Wasn't sure about the ringing out between staccato notes, either, in that section about 2/3 of the way through, but decided it was too much effort to automate a heavy gate just for that section so I left it for *ahem* artistic taste!

Edit: Oh, and hopefully you'll notice/agree about the lead guitar you uploaded for us, but without giving us any control over the level of reverb and delay on it, there's only so much we can do with it (light EQ work etc. ) so a clean DI as well as that version would have been nice