Hi all!

So long story short; I have an J&D Bros Electric guitar that was lying under my bed for around 7 years.

I wanted to bring it back to life, so sent it for cleaning, new strings etc. Played fine.

Now, recently when I played the open G string, it was being muted by something. I took it to a music shop, and the guy said your truss rod is hooked and needs fixing.

He couldnt find the right wrench because he said my guitar is such a weird brand, and asked me to come back a couple days later when then main repairman is there.

So I return after 2 days. 5 mins after this guy works with it, he tells me that he has loosened the nut as much as he could, and it is still hooked. Basically beyond fixing.

He recommended to get thicker strings and hope for the best. I havent done this yet.

Ironic thing is that my G string that was being muted before is perfectly fine now.

Is this truss rod thing really that important of an issue? My guitar seems to play fine.

[PS. Im not familiar with the mechanics and stuff of a guitar so please enlighten me..thanks!]
Last edited by federernadal at Jan 20, 2014,
By hooked, what do you mean? If you laid the guitar on a table on it's back, does the neck look like it has a slight U shape, or is it a hump?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I think a slight U shape.

Could you enlighten me as to what is difference the truss rod even makes? I mean, I get it if it mutes your string, but other than that, does it really even matter?
The truss rod is a metal rod, essentially, that runs the length of the guitar neck. You turn it, which adjusts the bow in it to make your neck straight. If you have a slight U shape in it, you need to adjust the truss rod Clockwise by a quarter turn at a time until it appears straight.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
there was probably some rust or dust on the G string saddle or in the nut that wore off so now it doesn't mute. just a guess.

you should have a slight bow in the neck but almost straight. by bow or "u" it's basically a concave slope to the neck so you can fret and the string doesn't hit the next fret up the neck and go dead. it's also referred to as relief.

the truss rod adjusts the neck's relief.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 21, 2014,