I have a lot of guitars but can't play more than a few chords. I don't know where to begin. I started trying to learn when I became ill. I've been trying to teach myself theory at the same time. Now it feels like I'm just swimming in everything and have gained nothing.
Can someone just direct me? I mean should what should I be doing to become a guitar player? In what order should I learn what? I'm overwhelmed and feeling stupid because look at the thousands of guitarists on this forum and here I sit playing 7 chords. Seriously, what am I doing wrong. Maybe trying to learn too much at once? I truly don't know. I get looking at the lessons available but nothing is in any type of order eg: chords first, strumming next, notes on fretboard, scales, modes in that order. Frustrated and ready to sell all my guitars.
Do you know how the basic CAGED chords are structured, because if you do you can make A LOT of chords...

Here's an example:

Lets look at the standard E minor.. It's made up of the notes E G B
This is what it traditionally looks like:

e|-0
B|-0
G|-0
D|-2
A|-2
E|-0

However this is not the only kind of E minor. There are many many E minors.

This for instance is my personal favourite E minor:

e|-0
B|-0
G|-12
D|-9
A|-7
E|-0

It's still made up of exactly the same notes E G B and therefore it's still an E minor. It's not exactly a beginner friendly chord but it's just an example anyways.

You can do this with any chord. All you need to know is what notes make the chord and you can come up with some very cool sounding chords.
Stop worrying about "when can I finally call myself a guitar player" and comparing yourself to other people. You should only compare your playing to your playing the day before.
First you should get acquainted with strumming, flatpicking, and fingerpicking and try a bunch a different types of music if you haven't already. Then when you've found a type of music and style of playing you enjoy find some easy songs that you like. When you're able to play those songs you'll feel so accomplished that you'll want to keep going and then you can take on the harder stuff. The whole point of playing guitar is to make music.
Also nobody can memorize all the chords.
There are as many ways to learn guitar as there are guitarists, but I've been following Justin Sandercoe's free course for the past year (up to Beginner Stage 8) and his system is pretty logical. I'm sure that it's not the only way (or even necessarily the best way), but it is a well-thought-out way with a very clear progression of exactly what to work on and when to work on it (http://www.justinguitar.com). You might want to have a look.
why not get yourslef a teacher and learn step by step? learning alone sometimes is juat not the right way for everyone to go. If possible, learn from a teacher or seek help from peers who play guiter well.
If you want direction in your playing I'd greatly advise you to work on this course. There's a beginner, and intermediate course it will lead you into the right direction with your, playing Justin is a great guitar teacher try it for your self!

Here's the link

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

I currently just finished the course, and i'm working on my strumming at the moment.

Take it step by step don't rush. Becoming a good guitar player doesn't happen over night, and dude stop comparing your self to other people there's absolutely no point in doing that. Apples to oranges just remember that everyone is different.
Last edited by Black_devils at Jan 21, 2014,
If you don't know where to turn and are confused then drop theory, it's not very important so don't worry about it
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Thanks...whew!! I was stressing out and ready to give up. It's just I've had my guitars for awhile and they're just going to waste sitting there.
I just bought the beginner course from Justinguitar and I'm going to try that out. If that doesn't do it enough then I will find a teacher.
Thanks guys...I just wanna play guitar and play it well. I'm not looking to be in a band but I wanna be good enough that I can be.
Quote by Vblue
Thanks...whew!! I was stressing out and ready to give up. It's just I've had my guitars for awhile and they're just going to waste sitting there.
I just bought the beginner course from Justinguitar and I'm going to try that out. If that doesn't do it enough then I will find a teacher.
Thanks guys...I just wanna play guitar and play it well. I'm not looking to be in a band but I wanna be good enough that I can be.

Hey man just take your time that's all we've got. If you can put your mind to it then you accomplish your goals.
Quote by Vblue
I have a lot of guitars but can't play more than a few chords. I don't know where to begin. I started trying to learn when I became ill. I've been trying to teach myself theory at the same time. Now it feels like I'm just swimming in everything and have gained nothing.
Can someone just direct me? I mean should what should I be doing to become a guitar player? In what order should I learn what? I'm overwhelmed and feeling stupid because look at the thousands of guitarists on this forum and here I sit playing 7 chords. Seriously, what am I doing wrong. Maybe trying to learn too much at once? I truly don't know. I get looking at the lessons available but nothing is in any type of order eg: chords first, strumming next, notes on fretboard, scales, modes in that order. Frustrated and ready to sell all my guitars.

Don't try to jump in with all fours. Take your time, learn the chords, try strumming. Do some chromatics to exercise your fingers. Get a little dity in your head and make every chord count as far as strumming. When you find a chord ,there you also will always have the root of that chord . Music goes in a circle, so if you start a song in a certain key, then it will come back around to that same key. Take your time and believe you can. You will be surprised at what you can do.