Hey guys,

I have an SG body that I need to make sound old. What are the best '59 or just vintage sounding humbuckers out there?

I've looked at

Gibson 57 Classic (4 conductor)
SD 59 (not sure which one)
SD Whole Lotta Humbucker
SD BonaBucker
Gibson Burstbucker or Burstbucker Pro

Thanks guys!
Throbaks, Sheptones and Wolfetones are all great. Throbaks are the most accurate, but I dunno if that's for everyone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Sethlovers!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by FatalGear41
If you've got the cash (US$509.00 per pair), the general consensus is that ThrowBak makes the best:

http://www.throbak.com/2011/01/throbak-maximum-vintage-pickups-mxv.html

And I thought Bareknuckles were expensive...
Quote by FatalGear41
If you've got the cash (US$509.00 per pair), the general consensus is that ThrowBak makes the best:

How is there a general consensus on pickups that cost more than most people’s guitars?
Quote by jpnyc
How is there a general consensus on pickups that cost more than most people’s guitars?

Over the years, a number of the trade publications - which routinely review gear that costs way more than any gigging musician can afford - have frequently concluded that the ThrowBak comes as close to nailing a true 1958-1960 Gibson P.A.F. as anyone has ever done. The tone, the construction, and even the appearance are scary in their accuracy. The things are practically handmade one at a time from the ground up, which accounts for their staggering price tag. They've turned up in a few very high-end custom-made Les Paul knockoffs for these reasons.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I think it's honestly a matter of opinion. If I'm right, the original PAFs also had individual variations and stuff. Personally I'd prolly go with the SD Whole Lotta, because Jeff from the Smashing Pumpkins uses them and sounds great.
There isn't a specific model of pickup out there that can be called an example of THE Paf, simply because all PAFs made in the 50's/60's (watever) varied from each other. If you had two of the same models with you from that era, they would both sound different anyways because of the process involved in making them.

These days a lot of people are making PAF's, from major pickup manufactures to boutique builders. Each version is gonna be the builder's own take on a PAF they have with them or they heard that sounded good to them, so there will be difference in sound among all makers, it depends on whose sound you like.

If it were me, I'd go with Duncan Seth model or their SH1-59 model, both are good Paf style pickups available on a budget that you might call as vintage correct in build. Antiquities are also an option. Overall costs would probably be below $200 for a set
Quote by mmolteratx
Throbaks, Sheptones and Wolfetones are all great. Throbaks are the most accurate, but I dunno if that's for everyone.

+1 to all of that.

but there are plenty of good "vintage sounding" pick ups.

do we have a budget?
Quote by jpnyc

because they're good. it's a consensus. people who've tried them agree.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 21, 2014,
If you want inexpensive PAF's try rockfield SWV's select wound vintage found on b.c. rich mockingbird special and special x models
Quote by gibson52198
Hey guys,

I have an SG body that I need to make sound old. What are the best '59 or just vintage sounding humbuckers out there?

I've looked at

Gibson 57 Classic (4 conductor)
SD 59 (not sure which one)
SD Whole Lotta Humbucker
SD BonaBucker
Gibson Burstbucker or Burstbucker Pro

Thanks guys!

Tom Holmes H455. Google it. I have one in my Jackson that I use for old Van Halen covers. The only other pickup that comes close IMO is a Mojave Amp Works PAF bridge pickup, but I don't think they're available new anymore. For a more reasonable price, the Seths would be a great choice.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by jpnyc

People interested in 100% accuracy to Burst specs generally aren't playing sub $500 guitars. Consensus among those who have played (or even own) original Bursts is that Throbak makes pretty much the most accurate (good) sets of PAFs that aren't unobtainium. Stephens and Tom Holmes have their proponents, but they're much harder to get hold of.

Aesthetically, the Throbaks are definitely the most accurate I've found. However, the Sheptone Tributes I had in another guitar when I got my Throbaks were equally killer, just a tad bit more high end bite. And they're half the price. The Wolfetones I had were good too, but the Sheps were more to my liking.

Quote by riffhog
Tom Holmes H455. Google it. I have one in my Jackson that I use for old Van Halen covers. The only other pickup that comes close IMO is a Mojave Amp Works PAF bridge pickup, but I don't think they're available new anymore. For a more reasonable price, the Seths would be a great choice.

Where'd you get the Tom Holmes? Super unobtainium even when I was looking a few years ago, even more so now.

EDIT: Ouch. Prices on used ones went up again...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-HOLMES-PICKUPS-HUMBUCKERS-H450-H455-/190957961066?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c75fb3f6a
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 21, 2014,
I love the dimarzio 36th anni...
Quote by mmolteratx
People interested in 100% accuracy to Burst specs generally aren't playing sub $500 guitars. Consensus among those who have played (or even own) original Bursts is that Throbak makes pretty much the most accurate (good) sets of PAFs that aren't unobtainium. Stephens and Tom Holmes have their proponents, but they're much harder to get hold of.

Aesthetically, the Throbaks are definitely the most accurate I've found. However, the Sheptone Tributes I had in another guitar when I got my Throbaks were equally killer, just a tad bit more high end bite. And they're half the price. The Wolfetones I had were good too, but the Sheps were more to my liking.

Where'd you get the Tom Holmes? Super unobtainium even when I was looking a few years ago, even more so now.

EDIT: Ouch. Prices on used ones went up again...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-HOLMES-PICKUPS-HUMBUCKERS-H450-H455-/190957961066?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c75fb3f6a

HOLY CRAP, MATT! F#@kin A. I paid $250 for mine brand new in 2007. I just called Tom & ordered the pickup back then. Piece of cake. Had it 2 weeks later.
I really like the tone, but for $400 I'd part with it & get an EVH humbucker & a few nice bottles of whiskey
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Just got off the phone with (I believe) Tom Holmes' wife, & she said the wait for a set of pickups is about 9 months, but they may be able to process a single bridge pickup more quickly. The new H455 pickup is $220 without the gold or nickel cover. Tack on another $60-$80 with the cover.

Almost unobtainium....
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by riffhog
Just got off the phone with (I believe) Tom Holmes' wife, & she said the wait for a set of pickups is about 9 months, but they may be able to process a single bridge pickup more quickly. The new H455 pickup is $220 without the gold or nickel cover. Tack on another $60-$80 with the cover.

Almost unobtainium....

Ah, that explains it. Price is in line with the other high end replicas then. You mind sending me the number? Might be interested in trying out a set against the Throbaks.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Ah, that explains it. Price is in line with the other high end replicas then. You mind sending me the number? Might be interested in trying out a set against the Throbaks.

615-876-3453 in Joelton, TN
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard