I have never played an ESP but I own two Epiphone Les Paul's and a 1973 gibson Les Paul. My 2006 Epiphone Les Paul is just as good as my Gibson so if you are looking for a nice Les Paul style guitar that rivals a $3,000.00+ Gibson, I highly recommend an Epiphone Standard.
It depends on which one feels better to you. As for myself, I own a Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I bought in 2008. In my opinion, it's a comfortable guitar to play as well as being well put together.
Skip the username, call me Billy
In the end, the decision comes down to you, so it doesn't really make a difference if I recommend you one of those, because they are really equally good guitars.

Anyway, I would go with the ESP.
Personally id go LTD, never got on with the necks on any of the several epiphones i owned.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
They're similar guitars. It's really down to personal preferences.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I was set on getting an Epiphone Les Paul but when I tried it in the shop, I didn't like the neck at all, it seemed quite thick and hard to play. I own an EX-50 which is a good starter guitar in my opinion so the EC-256 is probably pretty good

I would check ebay for some used bargins though first
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Fender Strat. Hey! Stop throwin' stuff at me!!!
Get the EC-256fm. It is a great guitar. My friend just got one and it blows any epiphone out of the water. You won't be dissapointed.
I own an ec-256 and it really isnt my favorite guitar in the world. but for someone who likes rock and is just starting out, I suppose its a good guitar. If you like metal, this is probably not the guitar for you as the pickups and electronics chosen for this guitar are not good. the pickups in particular sound too weak for metal. Rock is a different story.

with a pickup upgrade(and probably a cap change), this guitar will sound marvelous. the neck is great and the frets are well done extra jumbo. stays in tune. the ec-256 also has a maple top. it also has a tummy cut, which I believe is a feature that is overlooked by most people.

I wouldnt be able to say which is better since Ive never played an epiphone ever. but Id still recommend the LTD. again, the pickups are trash for metal.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1