I've recently started recording music with my band in a home studio and I'm curious how to get this certain sound effect in our song. It's usually at the beginning of a breakdown, but it's not a bass drop. It's more of a bass "slam" I guess. A perfect example would be at 3:10 in the song Backburner by August Burn Red.
Bass drop? Don't think so.

To me it just sounds like some creative sampling - take a bass note and a cymbal hit.
You reverse all of that stuff, and when it comes to the transient you play it in the right direction, so you both get the raise and the note at the and of the crescendo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

To me it just sounds like some creative sampling - take a bass note and a cymbal hit.
You reverse all of that stuff, and when it comes to the transient you play it in the right direction, so you both get the raise and the note at the and of the crescendo.

I think he's talking about the part after the reverse cymbal. The reverse cymbal isn't a "bass" anything.
Quote by Spambot_2

Maybe add some distortion too? Because it sounds like clipping or like explosion kinda thing? You know what I'm saying?
Quote by Cavalcade
I think he's talking about the part after the reverse cymbal. The reverse cymbal isn't a "bass" anything.

It is directly after the reverse cymbal, I know that part, but right after the cymbal it's kinda like an explosion kinda sound. It's really really heavy I just don't know the words to describe it
Well as Cavalcade stated, depends what you're talking about :P
Let's use this video as a reference.
At 2:56/2:57 a breakdown starts.
At 3:10/3:11 there's the funny some-reversed-sounds thing, not only a cymbal.
For the rest of the breakdown there's just a heavily distorted bass played in an angry way

If you're talking about the angry bass, just add distortion and play the **** out of it.
If it's the reversed thing, use both a cymbal and a bass plucking and a guitar strumming, or just play the reversed cymbal sound, play a note on both the guitar and the bass with the volume turned down low and raise it in the second before the first hit of the heavier part of the breakdown.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
For the rest of the breakdown there's just a heavily distorted bass played in an angry way

If you're talking about the angry bass, just add distortion and play the **** out of it.
If it's the reversed thing, use both a cymbal and a bass plucking and a guitar strumming, or just play the reversed cymbal sound, play a note on both the guitar and the bass with the volume turned down low and raise it in the second before the first hit of the heavier part of the breakdown.

Well I know the breakdown and how to play that, but thanks anyway. But the part right after the reverse cymbal, how it comes in so heavy
Quote by Spambot_2

Listen more closely. There's a bass drop at 3:11, when the last breakdown hits, over top of the rest of the band.
Okay since a lot of people are confused or maybe thinking of something else, ill give another example. It's not the breakdown part or the cymbal reverse. Some that I've heard don't even have the reverse cymbal. What I'm looking for is how to get that 1 second moment when all the instruments come in so heavy for a breakdown. Here's another example without a cymbal reverse. Listen to White Walls by Between the Buried and Me at 9:49
Limiting and more gain, that's that.

Things aren't particularly more heavy, they're just a lot of instruments been played hard together.
Also the guitar-only part for some seconds before accentuates the feeling of heavyness, but it's not something that special.
The bass is distorted, the guitars are distorted, there's screaming... but that's that.
Or at least it sounds that to me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
i understand the part you're on about, sounds like an eq boost in or near the sub bass somewhere as its more of a feeling than a sound. So just automate the eq to boost a frequency you like in the sub range area (60 hz and below roughly) when you want to, then remove it again once you don't want it.
It is actually just a over limited and/or compressed bass drop sample, and before that bass hits there is a reverse cymbal effect
reverse cymbal hit into a bass drop.

Use a Sine wave generator (tone generator) and automation to create the bass drop. Look up the frequency of the note you want the bass drop to be, set your sine generator as that pitch in HZ, then use automation to make it "slide down" in pitch as fast or slow as you want. Also, use Mute/volume automation to singal when it turns on/off.

you can experiment with reverb, distortion, delay whatever. eq it to fit in nicely and not stick out.

The reverse cymbal? record a cymbal hit, then reverse it lol. or use a sample from the internet or whatever. make sure its in time.
(signature removed, please choose another)
Bass drop 1--- ( for today esque)a simple sub bass frequency that drops in pitch

Bass drop 2---- (i the breather esque) a certain sub frequency 40- 150 m Simply a quick fade in and fade out of volume with no change in pitch.

hope that helps
-------------
--The Rig--
Peavey 5150 Head
BBE 362 SONIC MAXIMIZER
dbx 266xl COMPRESSOR GATE
Q215 PEAVEY EQ
Mesa 4x12 Standard Rectifier cab
ESP,LTD Viper 400 baritone (fitted with EMG81,85 actives)
-------------