Page 1 of 3
Do people who swear a lot (mostly for no reason) turn you off?

I noticed that most people I spend time with have insanely colorful vocabularies. My dad swears a lot when he is frustrated on the road (happened a lot when I was growing up) and my BF swears a lot in regular speech (also kind of a racist drunk). It doesn't bother me any but when other people swear, it bothers me some. What bothers me more is that I'm starting to get more liberal in my own speech

Do you judge or measure a person's personality/upbringing/background/whatever by how much they cuss? Do you care? Does it matter if they only do it in private or in public?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
People who use the phrase "potty mouth" turn me off more than people who swear. Profanity is a part of conversation, and it has plenty of utility in terms of expressive value. If you have a shitty vocabulary and use profanity too much, you're probably a shithead. But if profanity is just another tool in your utility belt of expression, then go ahead
Last edited by progdude93 at Jan 21, 2014,
Quote by progdude93
People who use the phrase "potty mouth" turn me off more than people who swear. Profanity is a part of conversation, and it has plenty of utility in terms of expressive value. If you have a shitty vocabulary and use profanity too much, you're probably a shithead. But if profanity is just another tool in your utility belt of expression, then go ahead

"People Who Swear A Lot" seems too long for a thread title. I'm going for brevity there.

So it doesn't matter to you if someone uses profanity during a business meeting?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Every fifth word out of my mouth is a swear, and half of those are the word f***, and I got a 30 on my ACT in english/reading.

Take that for what it's worth.

The only place I turn it off is work, and I try not to around kids but it still slips there sometimes.
Last edited by stratkat at Jan 21, 2014,
eh i generally don't give a ****in shit
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by kikaykitko
"People Who Swear A Lot" seems too long for a thread title. I'm going for brevity there.

So it doesn't matter to you if someone uses profanity during a business meeting?

I'm nowhere near a business person or have any relation to any office setting, but to me when people swear at work it lets me relate more, brings them closer to my level. Like if my boss tells me "hey Tom, can you go close the ****in door?" it feels like he's more of a friend than if he never swore. Swearing to each other has kind of an effect like that. Brings people closer.

But, like others have said, too much is a turn off. If a guy comes and says "How the **** are ya doing, mother****er? Shit, it's ****in hot out in this bitch, eh ****er?". Than he's probably an idiot.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Jan 21, 2014,
It doesn't bother me in most settings. Obviously there are certain times where it isn't appropriate, but most of the time I don't see it as a problem.
Quote by kikaykitko

What bothers me more is that I'm starting to get more liberal in my own speech

****ing republicunt.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Swearing only bothers me when the majority of the words spoken in a sentence are cuss words. If it's cussing here and there, I'm okay. Except for the f-bomb, I've never really liked that word.
I don't mind when its used to express aggression/frustration or smth, but if its used in just a normal conversation then it gets annoying.
Quote by kikaykitko

personally, no, i wouldn't care. my dad works at a posh firm in a big city, and everyone there swears. swearing is only unprofessional if the professionals around you think it's unprofessional.

that said, there are plenty of contexts where plenty of people think it's unprofessional. if you're in court, swearing is probably unprofessional. i'd swear at a business meeting if i'd already made a name for myself there. as an unknown person, i'd keep a clean mouth in the office.
Last edited by progdude93 at Jan 21, 2014,
I dislike it when people don't swear out of a false sense that it's not necessary or whatever. I also hate it when a person just swears every other word. It's really annoying. My cousin drops the F-bomb every other word, and [cousin] just sounds so ignorant.

"You're ****ing just ****ing jealous because she's ****ing hot and you ****ing don't have as ****ing nice hair as her so you ****ing talk ****ing shit about her behind her ****ing back like a ****ing bitch"

I love [cousin] though so it's okay.
Last edited by macashmack at Jan 21, 2014,
If they like the taste I have no problem pissing in there
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Nope it brings me a kool aid smile when you have a girl moaning f*ck me over and over.
Whats goes around must come down
as long as they get their point across.
i don't know why i feel so dry
If it gets to the point of Deb from Dexter, then yes, that's a huge turnoff and ****ing annoying.
Quote by LostLegion
Since I swear every two words I couldn't give a lesser **** if other people do it.

lol, this

I mean, fucking this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
It only really bothers me if they do it around kids. That said, when every other word is an f-bomb, it starts to get pretty ridiculous. Not necessarily because of the cursing itself, but because they are saturating their speech same couple words out of context for no real reason whatsoever. Look at macashmack's example:

"You're ****ing just ****ing jealous because she's ****ing hot and you ****ing don't have as ****ing nice hair as her so you ****ing talk ****ing shit about her behind her ****ing back like a ****ing bitch"

To get an idea of what I mean, replace the swears with any other random word:

"You're chapstick just chapstick jealous because she's chapstick hot and you chapstick don't have as chapstick nice hair as her so you chapstick talk chapstick chapstick about her behind her chapstick back like a chapstick chapstick."

That's what it sounds like to me.
Quote by LightningandIce
It only really bothers me if they do it around kids. That said, when every other word is an f-bomb, it starts to get pretty ridiculous. Not necessarily because of the cursing itself, but because they are saturating their speech same couple words out of context for no real reason whatsoever. Look at macashmack's example:

To get an idea of what I mean, replace the swears with any other random word:

"You're chapstick just chapstick jealous because she's chapstick hot and you chapstick don't have as chapstick nice hair as her so you chapstick talk chapstick chapstick about her behind her chapstick back like a chapstick chapstick."

That's what it sounds like to me.
But fuck is the most versatile word in existence. It can used in any capacity.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I don't mind cussing the majority of the time. However, people who seem to make a huge effort to do it as often as possible piss me off, same for people who don't know when to not cuss, I don't care if you don't have a problem with it there are certain situations where you don't do it.
Quote by Thrill-house
I don't mind cussing the majority of the time. However, people who seem to make a huge effort to do it as often as possible piss me off, same for people who don't know when to not cuss, I don't care if you don't have a problem with it there are certain situations where you don't do it.

Makes no sense, bud. You don't care if I don't have a problem with it, you think there are certain situations where I just shouldn't do it. I don't care if you do have a problem with it, I think there are no situations where I shouldn't do it. You don't get to choose what I say and when, if you got a problem with me (or anyone) swearing, well.. tough shit?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Really if people swearing gets you riled up you're probably a complete and utter bellend
Quote by naedauuf
Makes no sense, bud. You don't care if I don't have a problem with it, you think there are certain situations where I just shouldn't do it. I don't care if you do have a problem with it, I think there are no situations where I shouldn't do it. You don't get to choose what I say and when, if you got a problem with me (or anyone) swearing, well.. tough shit?

I hate when people condescendingly call someone "bud/pal/guy" (there are more but you get the idea.)
In English, it just sounds bad... because the majority of profanities seems to be words for private parts and bodily fluids.

But generally, I don't mind. I'm much more annoyed by people who use the word "like" in every sentence they speak, or even twice per sentence....
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
I work in the building industry so I hear someone swearing about every 2.4 seconds.

What annoys me is when someone makes there voice higher at the end of a sentence and makes it sound like they're asking a question.
Where I come from, people who are close to each other, specially dudes, tend to substitute each other' s names for a cuss word. There word itself is pretty bad but still, friends use it all the time on each other, it' s weird.

I' m trying not to swear as much as I did before, but it' s a hard habit to quit.
You should be more concerned with what someone is saying, not the words they use to say it.
Page 1 of 3