Hey there guys I was wondering if there is any software out there that can record guitar note for note? like i improv a lot and I want to be able to record and save some of the licks i come up with but I am afraid I am going to forget them, I was looking at buying Finale Student for a class, would this be capable of recording some things?

I prefer i think for some kind of saving in Tab form, but if music notation is all there is then that would have to do i guess

so is there such a program?
1. Can you just record the lick on your phone for safe keeping? Would you be able to find it again - with your fingers - if you did that? Or does it need to be written down?

2. If you need the software to notate exactly what you played, here is what you will need:
- a midi pickup for your guitar
- a program that can record and interpret midi data - Yes, Finale should work just fine.
- play to a click track (so the computer knows where your bars and beats are)
- you'll probably want to quantize it afterwards, probably to the nearest 16th note or something.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Cubase 7 also has a note tracking feature that is supposedly pretty good. Lets you record your song and it automatically transcribes it for you. I've never used it though, so I can't comment on how accurate it is, but some people seem to be pretty impressed.

Otherwise, yes, the MIDI pickup and interface into some kind of software is probably the best route, but also fairly expensive, from what I've seen.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Logic X and Melodyne are suppoed to be able to do that, and Logic can generate tabs from midi sheets, though what you may wanna do, for the sake of clarity, is just get guitar pro or tuxguitar and write your stuff down.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
what exactly is a midi sheet?

I have a M-audio fast track midi device, and I have of course a guitar, I plug in the guitar into the m-audio, and then that has a usb into my computer. I have now the trial versions of Finale, Finale songwriter, and Guitar pro,

but so far I have been unable to get any kind of tracking recording from my guitar into any of the software, Im not certain but Im not sure these softwares are even recognizing the M-audio midi device i have.

am i missing something? i tried some kind of string recognition settup in finale but it doesnt seem to be able to hear my guitar? not sure
midi is a data interface used for notes, what I was referring to as midi sheet is the file in which you have notes, which can also be made to look like an actual music sheet if you put it in a program that's able to show it that way.

Wait finale's a music notation software, not a program in which to record stuff and have it transcribed for you.
Logic can do what finale does, and I think a lot of other DAWs can do that as well.
Pus, DAWs can also be used to record and mix stuff.

You wrote you want to record guitar note for note to make a sheet/tab out of it, but do you need the thing to actually recognize your playing or you don't mind having to write down the stuff you play instead of playing it into your computer?

What midi devices are you talking about anyway?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Cubase 7 also has a note tracking feature that is supposedly pretty good. Lets you record your song and it automatically transcribes it for you. I've never used it though, so I can't comment on how accurate it is, but some people seem to be pretty impressed.

Otherwise, yes, the MIDI pickup and interface into some kind of software is probably the best route, but also fairly expensive, from what I've seen.

I have Cubase 7 and the audio warp feature can identify pitches of notes pretty readily and decidedly accurately. I haven't seen it take the next step, though, and transcribe this to notation.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I use Ableton live and the newest version also has this note tracking thing, like aforementioned, though I can only tell you about the tracking quality in live.

It's multipurpose, and is able to recognize melody, harmony and even drums, Though drums are definitely the least quality transfer.

When I first checked it out I felt like a little kid, you don't know the fun in sweeping and shredding on guitar, change it into midi and put it through various synthesizers.

A big plus is that it even takes over the dynamics (volume differences of the notes)

I uploaded a clip here:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0NDK5sJQIaI

First you hear the original guitar, which is a sample I just randomly grabbed, cause 2:30am, and right after that the midi conversion.

I left the midi as is (makes it automatically play through piano, but can be changed offcourse), as to not bias things, and you can hear 3 or 4 odd high notes at the end.

It's not perfect, but damn good considering guitar is one of the hardest instruments to track, and here are 2 together with chords as well.

Personally I now only use it to create "grooves" (a timing concept in live), just do a 1 note funk thing on guitar, and just grab the midi timing.

As far as notation go. Problem is same notes occur on different places on guitar, so tab is by design out of the question unless advanced AI.

As for standard notation, to not get silly Frank Zappa scores, just quantize everything in 64th notes (or any other quantized division), and it should transfer cleanly in any notation software that supports midi in. I'm sure there's a free one out there capable of this, as can Guitarpro maybe.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 21, 2014,