Page 1 of 3
What's with this shit? All these bands are the same, chugging through the entire verse with some generic lead part over it, followed by a clean sung chorus. For every song. It's all so fake and seems like it's all done for the industry. I don't hear any influences in their music, it just sounds like they write songs specifically to make money off of kids. And they all have some kind of "message" in their music about being yourself or some shit and it's all the same. It just feels like it's all done for money, and all these bands write their songs based on a specific template set by their label so they sell more albums and make more money:

-Chugging
-Mandatory ambient synth or techno
-Autotuned clean choruses

It makes me sick. It's all just a huge industry scam. What do you guys think? Metalcore is the microwave dinner of both metal and hardcore.
Totally agree. I hate it, too. It's sickening that they try to pass that crap off as heavy metal and people who don't know any better accept it as such.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
Quote by Clark83
All these bands are the same

They're of the same genre of course some metalcore bands sound the same, just like some hardcore bands do.

Quote by Clark83
chugging through the entire verse with some generic lead part over it, followed by a clean sung chorus.

You don't like it, fine that's your opinion mate. It's not my favorite genre but I like some of it. Guess what some people actually like some singing from times to times.

Quote by Clark83
For every song. It's all so fake and seems like it's all done for the industry. I don't hear any influences in their music, it just sounds like they write songs specifically to make money off of kids. And they all have some kind of "message" in their music about being yourself or some shit and it's all the same. It just feels like it's all done for money, and all these bands write their songs based on a specific template set by their label so they sell more albums and make more money:

-Chugging
-Mandatory ambient synth or techno
-Autotuned clean choruses

It makes me sick. It's all just a huge industry scam. What do you guys think? Metalcore is the microwave dinner of both metal and hardcore.

You make me sick. Because you don't like that kind of music, which is totally fine btw, you made a whole lot of bullshit up and convinced yourself that it was done for the industry, for money, for kids or whatever crap idea. Of course some people just do it for money but that happens everywhere. It's not a huge industry scam dude, some people like that and you should make up your mind about it. What the **** is wrong with you people? Where does that stupid idea of "fake metal" comes from? I don't understand how someone has to listen to "real metal" or else it's fake and they should go back to Bieber or something. Why can't there be something inbetween you know?
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
I'm guessing you're somewhere between 8 and 12 years old.

[edit]
If I noticed the username sooner, that desperate scent of "please guys, accept me and call me awesome" that the post reeks of would have made 100% more sense.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Last edited by link no1 at Jan 21, 2014,
It's not entirely a matter of taste. Most of the bands and most of the metalcore songs are extremely similar, to the point that they have that same riff, that same chorus, and that same beat. If you're into that, then that's your deal, but what the hell is the point of writing music if you're just going to use the same thing as everyone else?

edit: **** metal and **** hardcore. I don't give a shit whether a band is tr00 whatever. If I think it sounds good I'll listen to it, if not then I won't. ****ing neckbeards /rant
Quote by MDoggDX316
To quote Granddad, "I think ALL marriage should be illegal."

[quote="'-[NiL"]-'] I asked him what tuning he put it in and he replied, "seventh."

Seventh.
Last edited by purplexing at Jan 21, 2014,
But at the end of the day, the "big" metalcore bands are exactly where you want to be. They're making a decent living from music and you're not. Hush yourself.
DIMETHYLTRYPTAMINE
lol
What? Ok, Trivium, While She Sleeps and All That Remains are my three favourite bands from the "Metalcore" genre and the only, THE ONLY, similarities between the three are that they frequently use guitar harmonies and that they utilize both singing and screaming in their songs, THAT'S IT. I'm beginning to think that you have the two subs mixed up in your brain. I mean I love hardcore as much as the next guy but the genre is so riddled with posers and generic assembly line s*it that there is even a specific way to mosh and a f*cking dress code. I mean to me Metalcore is the more melodic, slightly older brother to Hardcore who is the kid in senior year who has an anger problem and just wants to wreck shit.
This is just a terrible ABR/AILD ripoff.

And in my OP was talking about bands like, OM&M, TWA, BTF, CTE, CTC, and AA.
Quote by link no1
I'm guessing you're somewhere between 8 and 12 years old.

[edit]
If I noticed the username sooner, that desperate scent of "please guys, accept me and call me awesome" that the post reeks of would have made 100% more sense.

I'm 20. What are you so caught up in your own bullshit you can't comprehend the fact that some people think this way?

I never said I was a huge fan of the genre but you can't go around saying the crap you said like if it was the only truth. Like every genre, there are goods and bads. This genre is a lot more interesting to me then the whole dance/pop scene. If you're gonna talk shit about some kind of music, it should be that.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Where the **** did all these non-HC Regs suddenly come from and why do none of them know a thing about real metalcore... (Not saying you can't be here... it's just been really quiet here recently and I'm surprised to see so many new people posting )

I don't want the Hardcore forum to be the same realm of elitism that the metal forum is, but if you're gonna run your mouth, at least know your shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52g3E3oEnzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKj-dFCjtMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njGeGBBa1XA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e3gB39Y7Xo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGqOlxAmYDE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9UO9wwm4VY

Metalcore is a legit hardcore off shoot. You're just listening to the wrong shit. The stuff you're posting isn't even vaguely hardcore based, most of it's just pop music with a metal aesthetic

Doesn't mean it's bad, I love me some modern popcore at times. But I'd of at least hoped you understood it origins, it's kind of important to see why this stuff is called "metalcore" hint: it's nothing to do with it actually being hardcore. I can copypaste the history lesson I posted once.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 21, 2014,
Yeah, where did you weirdos come from? You have the internet, you can look up what this shit is, but you choose to believe some bullshit you heard hearsay about.

Listen to what ChemicalFire posted. That's 2legit2quit.
Those metalcore guys you hate ARE industry bands. As someone gave a nice list of examples, those are not the industry bands. Don't worry, it happens to all genres, and you aren't a total jerk for pointing that out. People always get mad too when someone complains about industry bands, it always seems somebody can't calmly explain that there are indeed good bands present.

Enjoy some good ole Converge and feel better.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Where the **** did all these non-HC Regs suddenly come from and why do none of them know a thing about real metalcore... (Not saying you can't be here... it's just been really quiet here recently and I'm surprised to see so many new people posting )

I don't want the Hardcore forum to be the same realm of elitism that the metal forum is, but if you're gonna run your mouth, at least know your shit.

Metalcore is a legit hardcore off shoot. You're just listening to the wrong shit. The stuff you're posting isn't even vaguely hardcore based, most of it's just pop music with a metal aesthetic

Doesn't mean it's bad, I love me some modern popcore at times. But I'd of at least hoped you understood it origins, it's kind of important to see why this stuff is called "metalcore" hint: it's nothing to do with it actually being hardcore. I can copypaste the history lesson I posted once.

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by MRoby
Those metalcore guys you hate ARE industry bands. As someone gave a nice list of examples, those are not the industry bands. Don't worry, it happens to all genres, and you aren't a total jerk for pointing that out. People always get mad too when someone complains about industry bands, it always seems somebody can't calmly explain that there are indeed good bands present.

Enjoy some good ole Converge and feel better.

What are "Industry bands"? Really popular bands?
I found it btw

Quote by Professor Metalcore

Okay guys, music lesson time if you're interested, it is even relevant to the OP as it should give a good outline of Metalcore actually is.

Metalcore = Metal + Hardcore

That was the classical definition that was used to describe bands in the 80's and 90's that mixed the two genres together; at least jokingly it was sometimes used as short hand for Metallic Hardcore. You're looking at bands like Cave In, Deadguy, Groundwork, Converge and perhaps most importantly for this little piece, Shai Hulud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njGeGBBa1XA

This is where it's important to look at what I call the "three phases of metalcore" which are:
- Original Metallic Hardcore
- Good intentions
- What the fuq is this shit?

The first stage we have looked at. The second stage is where bands like Killswitch Engange come from (fun fact, members of KsE were in a short lived and kinda crappy Metallic Hardcore band.) Who took Scandinavian Melodic Death Metal and added the FAINTEST OF FAINT touches of Hardcore music (whilst trying to sound like Shai Hulud) and Americanized the whole thing, to the point where it basically wasn't noticeable. Since this era of "metalcore" it is highly derivative of itself (for the most part) the more obvious elements of Americanized (and often simplified) Melodeath were exemplified till all trace elements of actual hardcore were removed and it became watered down metal. Really the second era of Metalcore is just Metal; good or bad is down to taste.

Now the third stage is what we're in now, no riffs, just breakdowns upon breakdowns. Breakdowns were prevalent in both previous eras but Metallic Hardcore breakdowns weren't always open chugs. The second stage introduced the breakdown element as we know it today which was then taken by the third stage and expanded upon 'till breakdowns were all that remained. There is NOTHING hardcore about this and barely anything relating to "real" metal beyond the guitar tone.

So if you're talking about Metalcore = Metal + Hardcore, which many still do. The only era that actually fits that description is the first. As the second era had trace if any and the third has none what-so-ever. Which is why some people are hesitant to actually call some bands Metalcore, despite what everyone else might say.

This is NOT to say that any of the bands from any era are better than worse than each other. That is subjective and down to taste, what is here is a rough objective outline of the progression of the genre, or at least the three very separate sounds that for some reason are all called one genre. Bands still form that sound like era 1 and 2 bands, it's not really a concrete time-line, more a charting of change.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
The only two metalcore bands that I believe are unique and can tell them apart from others are Killswitch Engage and August Burns Red. Every other one just sounds the exact same.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by leony03
The only two metalcore bands that I believe are unique and can tell them apart from others are Killswitch Engage and August Burns Red. Every other one just sounds the exact same.

Shut up.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well you're wrong and stupid and I don't like you.

Quote by nashawa
You know who's a good troll? Me. Because I'm secretly in love with Pandy.
Quote by synestershadows

Shut up.

I'm sorry but I can't take your opinion seriously since you are clearly an Avenged Sevenfold fanboy.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Jan 21, 2014,
Quote by leony03
I'm sorry but I can't take your opinion seriously since you are clearly an Avenged Sevenfold fanboy.

This just made it so much better.

See, synystershadows has been here for awhile, he knows his stuff, but his name was made during a time when he loved that band. That doesn't mean he still loves the band since you can't have your name changed(outside special circumstances) or create a new account.

Now, I hope you aren't going to pull the, "I wasn't serious/sarcasm" card because you should know full well that that shit doesn't fly on the internet very well.

Welcome.
Quote by leony03

Holy crap is that anything anyone can ever say to me? Goddamn, I really need to get my name changed on here.

Also, if you really think ABR and KSE are unique then you really don't know much at all.

Let me just give you a few examples of bands that sound almost exactly like them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytnFhkNsxbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWIlLt0EyT0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KvphaUYqgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZvNNU5AjQ

Those last 3 bands are all Christian just like ABR, which I think is even funnier.

Now, if you're looking for metalcore that's actually unique check out Chemical's post.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Last edited by synestershadows at Jan 21, 2014,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
This just made it so much better.

See, synystershadows has been here for awhile, he knows his stuff, but his name was made during a time when he loved that band. That doesn't mean he still loves the band since you can't have your name changed(outside special circumstances) or create a new account.

Now, I hope you aren't going to pull the, "I wasn't serious/sarcasm" card because you should know full well that that shit doesn't fly on the internet very well.

Welcome.

Hell, they could easily just look at his avatar and user title and see that he at least knows a little something about hardcore/metalcore.
Quote by ManInTheBox14
Hell, they could easily just look at his avatar and user title and see that he at least knows a little something about hardcore/metalcore.

He probably doesn't even know what my avatar is.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Lol at the guy that posted Converge, I wasn't talking about THAT kind of metalcore I was talking about the generic boyband shit
Quote by Clark83
Lol at the guy that posted Converge, I wasn't talking about THAT kind of metalcore I was talking about the generic boyband shit

Way to specify.
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Quote by Clark83

You know this thread topic is what blogs are for, right?
Quote by Clark83

If you know the difference then why bother the hardcore forum with it when it obviously doesn't belong here.

As it's not hardcore.

I mean you're not really forming discussion or anything. It'd be like posting a picture of a rock and saying "THIS IS A ROCK"

Shit music is shit... who knew. You don't like thing, and wut?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well considering this is a site where talentless 14-year-old douche bags come to look up tabs, I couldn't help but imagine this forum was littered with douchey SleepingWithSirensFags that think this sort of thing is "hardcore"
My god, this thread made me laugh so hard.

Quote by ChemicalFire

Once again, I have to ask, I wasn't this bad when I got here right? This is hilarious. Weren't we just talking about this in the post-hardcore thread?

Quote by Clark83

THAT KIND of metalcore is the only metalcore there is. What you were referring to is called 'Squishy Metal' as we have no other official term to give it aside from 'Nu-metalcore' which is generally accepted as a really crappy name. So from now on, refer to it as 'Squishy Metal' and nothing else.

Quote by leony03

Every thread someone says this, and every person who says it just makes them self look like a total idiot.

Quote by synestershadows
Holy crap is that anything anyone can ever say to me? Goddamn, I really need to get my name changed on here.

You can't change your name. If you did, I would no longer get amusement out of laughing at the people who criticize your musical knowledge based on your 6 year old user name.

---------------------

The Hope Conspiracy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-W-HJXSoEw&list=PLBAF814D4B9B2605C

Skycamefalling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hp1KiTxJQ

7 Angels 7 Plagues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acuP-7HRiUg

Just my additions.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by Clark83
Well considering this is a site where talentless 14-year-old douche bags come to look up tabs, I couldn't help but imagine this forum was littered with douchey SleepingWithSirensFags that think this sort of thing is "hardcore"

then you should read though the forum a little bit before you decide that this is a place where those douche 14 year olds hang out.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

We tend to ostracise all the 14 year old kids because we're all ass holes.

Also just because I'm on a roll of being "that guy", homophobic slurs are not hardcore. How can you use age as an insult when you do something so childish.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I've been in a lot of bands, hardcore, speed metal, ska-punk, you name it, but I'm not going to smugly fold my arms and act as if I can split the pubic hairs between TRu3 hardcore and fake-O-core, and i don't give a sh*t if a band is popular or not. if you're a rock band and you're making a living off it, I'm envious. I can't wait to be where you are.

As a fan, I don't care where you 'fit'. If I like what I hear, I'll keep listening. And I LOVE some of that guilty pleasure ear-candy that we all laugh at. I had a hard-on for A7X's City of Evil and that hardon got sucked good for a year until they lost me with their next album. Once in a while I'll go back and bang my head to "Trashed and Scattered" or "Sidewinder". I don't care what this kid with the smug froggy face says it is or this kid with the 00 black jeans says it is. "If I like a thing I like it that's enough"

As a musician, I do what feels honest to me. If I see your band perform and you mean it, it'll come across and I'll become a fan. If you're just screaming-by-numbers, I'll mosh out a bit and leave you to the wolves.
Quote by DamienEx1021
My god, this thread made me laugh so hard.

Once again, I have to ask, I wasn't this bad when I got here right? This is hilarious. Weren't we just talking about this in the post-hardcore thread?

THAT KIND of metalcore is the only metalcore there is. What you were referring to is called 'Squishy Metal' as we have no other official term to give it aside from 'Nu-metalcore' which is generally accepted as a really crappy name. So from now on, refer to it as 'Squishy Metal' and nothing else.

Every thread someone says this, and every person who says it just makes them self look like a total idiot.

You can't change your name. If you did, I would no longer get amusement out of laughing at the people who criticize your musical knowledge based on your 6 year old user name.

---------------------

The Hope Conspiracy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-W-HJXSoEw&list=PLBAF814D4B9B2605C

Skycamefalling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hp1KiTxJQ

7 Angels 7 Plagues
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acuP-7HRiUg

Just my additions.

Already knew that 7A7P were awesome, but had never checked out skycamefalling until this post. Thank you for opening my eyes.
Quote by Clark83
Bro, #askingalexandria4lyfe <3

Could you not?
Call me Andrew!

Check Out My Band
Here

Quote by DimebagLivesOn

Quote by nashawa
Wow. All the band threads in this forum are dead and then threads like this happen. Why do I even still post here
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I still hope that one day something exciting might happen here that doesn't involve threads like this.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Page 1 of 3