OK so I have two guitars that I use for different purposes. The first is a Dean Cadillac select that I got from a pawn shop a while back. It's one of the Korean models, so not really anything special but I like it. It's my second Dean, my first was an evo, I like the caddy better. Btw it's all stock

My second axe is a Michael Kelly Patriot LTD that I scored last week, from the same pawn shop. I almost passed this guitar up, but I'm really glad I didn't cause it's an awesome guitar. This one has the RockField SWC pickups mounted directly to the body, and it sounds pretty good. I like the RockField pickups better that the ones in the caddy.

Ok, so like I said I use each guitar for different things. The caddy I play in standard or dropD tuning, and mostly for covers ranging from classic to more modern rock (Zeppelin to Pantera). I've been meaning to change the pickups in it for a while, but not knowing anything better, the stock one's sounded good. Not so much after the new guitar.

The Michael Kelly Patriot I am using for a metalcore project I've got going on. Tuning ranges from dropC to dropA, obviously I want an aggressive sound from this guitar.

What I'm wondering is should I just replace the pickups in the dean for something like the SD sh-6 or DiMarzio super distortion and leave the rockfields in the MK. Or should I swap the RockFields into the Dean, and go for something like the SD invader in the MK? I'm kind of leaning toward the latter.

Also will the pickups in the MK being mounted directly to the body cause any problems?
Last edited by ninjamunky85 at Jan 21, 2014,
I would wait a few weeks to get over the honeymoon period with the new guitar,you may then find that the Dean it sounds good again. If not then go splash the cash.

Jock
Yeah the Dean didn't sound as bad after I messed with my settings a little. Still think I'm gonna pick up a SD invader. Probably just one for the bridge since 90+% of my playing is with the bridge pickup only, and see where that takes me.

Honestly I'm pretty happy with my tone. I play through a Peavey ValveKing 2X12 and it sounds great for most of my playing. Could use a little help with the really heavy stuff though.

Thanks for the advice,

Ryan
Don't put an Invader in that thing, they sound terrible. Duncan JB would be my pick for metal. Put the Rockfields in the other guitar if you like them better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
OK so I have two guitars that I use for different purposes. The first is a Dean Cadillac select that I got from a pawn shop a while back. It's one of the Korean models, so not really anything special but I like it. It's my second Dean, my first was an evo, I like the caddy better. Btw it's all stock

Mah bruddah from anuddah Mutha! Still have my EVO and Caddy.

(I'm actually planning to buy a white Caddy to drop some Bareknuckle Rebel Yells into, but that's another story...)

You might want to consider a:

1) RailHammer HyperVintage in the neck and a RailHammer Chisel in the bridge.

2) Tesla OPUS-1 in the neck and a Tesla VR-Extreme in he bridge.

Heck...the Rebel Yells might also work for you if, like me, you're a Steve Stevens fan...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 22, 2014,
I picked up a Korean made Caddy that has a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck and a GFS crunchy PAF in the bridge. It makes for a really versatile guitar. I wouldn't have thought to put in this combination, but I'm glad that the previous owner did.
Ok thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I'm glad I didn't just jump the gun on this decision.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Don't put an Invader in that thing, they sound terrible. Duncan JB would be my pick for metal. Put the Rockfields in the other guitar if you like them better.

I wanted to tell you that you're an idiot or a hater, and that how could they sound "terrible" when they get so many good reviews. I think you might have a point though. After listening to some sound clips of the JB I liked what I heard. Thanks, cause it wasn't even on my radar.

Anyway, I'm still thinking that the RockField SWC's are a more vintage style pickup. So I'll probably put them in the Dean and look at a more aggressive pickup for the MK patriot. Maybe the JB
Last edited by ninjamunky85 at Jan 22, 2014,
How does the SD distortion compare to the JB? Is the distortion better for drop tunings?
I can't answer that, but I can say this:

Fernandes uses the combo of the bridge SD '59 & SD SH-4JB in several of their models, and it sounds GREAT for harder genres of music. I have a Ravelle Goldtop LE with that combo, and almost bought a Ravelle SHIN Koi this December.

Even though I like that combo- as well as the combos I listed above- right now I'd still go with RailHammers if I were doing a pickup swap for a guitar I'm planning on using primarily for drop tuning.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 23, 2014,
Quote by ninjamunky85
I wanted to tell you that you're an idiot or a hater, and that how could they sound "terrible" when they get so many good reviews.

I'm sorry, but the Invader is one of the worst sounding pickups I've ever heard. I would not touch a guitar loaded with those things with a 30ft pole. The JB completely and utterly destroys the Invader in every way possible
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I can't answer that, but I can say this:

Fernandes uses the combo of the bridge SD '59 & SD SH-4JB in several of their models, and it sounds GREAT for harder genres of music. I have a Ravelle Goldtop LE with that combo, and almost bought a Ravelle SHIN Koi this December.

Even though I like that combo- as well as the combos I listed above- right now I'd still go with RailHammers if I were doing a pickup swap for a guitar I'm planning on using primarily for drop tuning.

(Emphasis mine.)

Oops! That should read: "Fernandes uses the combo of the neck SD '59 & bridge SD SH-4JB in several of their models, and it sounds GREAT for harder genres of music."

Quote by ninjamunky85
Still think I'm gonna pick up a SD invader.

I'm so not a fan of Invaders.

Take a look at a Suhr Aldrich while you're casting about looking for a bridge pickup. Forget the neck version, though.
I don't like Invaders either. Get an SH-6. I find JB's to be a bit too bright.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Man you guys are awesome, thanks so much for the helpful answers. Wasn't really expecting that since I'm new here.

Anyway I think I'm gonna go with either the SD JB, or distortion. Also very interested in the RailHammer. Glad I didn't just throw an invader in there without considering other options.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Mah bruddah from anuddah Mutha! Still have my EVO and Caddy.

(I'm actually planning to buy a white Caddy to drop some Bareknuckle Rebel Yells into, but that's another story...)

You might want to consider a:

1) RailHammer HyperVintage in the neck and a RailHammer Chisel in the bridge.

2) Tesla OPUS-1 in the neck and a Tesla VR-Extreme in he bridge.

Heck...the Rebel Yells might also work for you if, like me, you're a Steve Stevens fan...

Yeah man, if you like the evo you should check out a MK patriot if you get a chance. I don't know if they even make them any more. Mine reminds me a lot of my evo though, but I like the Michael Kelly better. (strings through body, direct mount pickups, binding all around)
Last edited by ninjamunky85 at Jan 23, 2014,
Quote by ninjamunky85
Yeah man, if you like the evo you should check out a MK patriot if you get a chance. I don't know if they even make them any more. Mine reminds me a lot of my evo though, but I like the Michael Kelly better. (strings through body, direct mount pickups, binding all around)

I currently have 3 other LPclones (Malden Bad Karma, Electra Omega, Reverend Roundhouse), so I don't really NEED another!

But I'm still impressed with how well made hat doggone EVO is. Really, the only issue I have with it is the pickups, so its slated for an upgrade this year.

Patriots are dope guitars man, they have a lot of potential. Their bodies in my experience have a more pronounced interaction with pickups than other single cutaways, so with the right pickups it can sound absolutely huge. If you're doing metalcore, putting a Bare Knuckle Aftermath or Warpig in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck you can get some serious, punchy, tight but fat and dark rhythm (especially in drop C) while maintaining clear, deep cleans with the jazz.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬