I've been playing some funk style for a couple months. I now find myself playing chords in any song that I do using a squeeze/release of the chord shape, whether or not it's really a funk song. I just seem to like that style, even for open shapes.

Anyway, one issue that I'm still having is that I get hand cramping in my fretting hand after a little while, when I play true funk, like with 16th notes in triplet feel and such. As it's been a couple months, and I still can get this cramping after just a minute or two of playing, I'm getting frustrated. I would have thought all the squeeze/release work I do should have me strengthening up, but I'm not seeing it. Either this can take a REALLY long time to develop, or there might an issue with my technique, like I'm holding the guitar in a way that is doing something bad with my wrist angle, leading to strain while fretting, or not enough stretching (none to speak of), or who knows(?)

Any tips?

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by krm27
I've been playing some funk style for a couple months. I now find myself playing chords in any song that I do using a squeeze/release of the chord shape, whether or not it's really a funk song. I just seem to like that style, even for open shapes.

Anyway, one issue that I'm still having is that I get hand cramping in my fretting hand after a little while, when I play true funk, like with 16th notes in triplet feel and such. As it's been a couple months, and I still can get this cramping after just a minute or two of playing, I'm getting frustrated. I would have thought all the squeeze/release work I do should have me strengthening up, but I'm not seeing it. Either this can take a REALLY long time to develop, or there might an issue with my technique, like I'm holding the guitar in a way that is doing something bad with my wrist angle, leading to strain while fretting, or not enough stretching (none to speak of), or who knows(?)

Any tips?

Ken

This is completely normal! Do you know how much of a workout it is to play funk guitar? Dude you'd be surprised just keep at it, and your endurance will build up this is completely normal so don't sweat it.