Have any of you ever played with people who transpose songs into ridiculous keys that just don't work with guitar? I just don't think you can put a song in whatever key you want to make it comfortable.

If you can't sing it, you can't sing it - pick another song rather than raising or dropping it 4 pitches- it makes some leads and riffs nearly impossible to play and in some songs, those parts are as important as the vocals IMO.

How do you tell someone this and get them to understand?

Thoughts??
Never ran into this problem, unless the new transposed key has notes outside the range of the guitar.
I'm with GoldenGuitar... Played in situations with singers where he had to transpose quite often, and never met any transposition that I couldn't adapt to. Worst case scenarios, I always could resort to a capo or changing the tuning
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Be a professional. Figure it out.

Your limitations, not the singer's, are the problem here.
Quote by HotspurJr
Be a professional. Figure it out.

Your limitations, not the singer's, are the problem here.

this.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
You guys are missing the point - I can adapt and I do it quite often - so I'm not being limited - I can play any song in any key I'm asked to, BUT some guitar riffs and solos just sound bizarre when they're transposed to certain keys - especially when their melody or counter melody are integral to the song.

Is that something I have to just get over or does anyone else agree??
The melody doesn't change when you transpose it. It stays the same. If it's not working you're probably not transposing correctly.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I agree I can transpose any song to any key But then again there is always some dick who demands that I transpose the song to key of B# so he can sing it!!
Quote by macmanmatty
I agree I can transpose any song to any key But then again there is always some dick who demands that I transpose the song to key of B# so he can sing it!!

...so...C?

This whole arument is stupid. Music is transposed to the singer ALL the time, if you can't keep up with it and make it sound musical, its your own damn problem and the singer should find a better guitarist.
Last edited by Tyson2011 at Jan 23, 2014,