firs off the details , its a 1995 MIM Fender strat. stock everything but saddles (the B string had a barb and was breaking strings so i threw on graphtech saddles. i lubed the nut lightly wit h graphite. this was all done a while ago.

restrung. stretched strings properly adjusted everthing and did a very thorough intonation tune it up and all is fine and good for a few hours.

pick it up in a day or two, four strings were out of tune, the intonation was messed up on nearly all of them. total re-setup.

now i pick it up and its out of tune again, but at least intonation was stable.

thoughts?

I have been playing for a long time, owned more than 60 guitars since then, have 20ish electrics, i have always done my own setups and never had a problem.

the temperature is fluctuating a bit at most 6* F, but not that much. but the other six electrics in the house aren't having problems. currently at this house i have two pretige a '82 Peavey, Gibson LP and a classical and something i am forgetting here.

so it has to be something with the guitar. playing it will stay in tune for two hours. , more gently played, but if i am playing harder and using heavy 3 semitone bends and getting into it it will last 30-45 minutes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The only thing I can think of is the tuners. Maybe they're not tight enough? It isn't really making sense to me.
do you deck the trem? if the nut is the original then you may need a new nut as that is often the culprit. you may want to check spring tension as well and make sure that it is as even as possible.
i think one of my strats is a 95.

i'm going to say, check out better string tree.
make sure that one is lubed. look into roller trees.

and tuning stability at the bridge. it probably can't float as well as other trems you're used to setting up.
I like my mex strat more flush at the bridge.

lastly, you might want to try a locking fold over at the tuners. something needed on more stubborn guitars.

if that all seems too quick fix, or not good enough
then upgrade the tuners to locking, you'll be fine in comparison.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 22, 2014,
Could be as simple as the strings are just not seating into the sustain block completely. I had that problem with one guitar with a vintage trem before. I used a small metal rod I had laying around to push the string ball into the holes completely every time I restrung. Otherwise it would keep going out of tune (strings going flat) because the balls kept slowly slipping further into the block.
Quote by monwobobbo
do you deck the trem? if the nut is the original then you may need a new nut as that is often the culprit. you may want to check spring tension as well and make sure that it is as even as possible.

trem is decked i haven't really ever used it (i may not even have an arm if i think about it), the nut is good, i think it was replaced at some point because it looks more like bone than plastic, but i am not sure.

JJ
i think one of my strats is a 95.

i'm going to say, check out better string tree.
make sure that one is lubed. look into roller trees.

and tuning stability at the bridge. it probably can't float as well as other trems you're used to setting up.
I like my mex strat more flush at the bridge.

lastly, you might want to try a locking fold over at the tuners. something needed on more stubborn guitars.

if that all seems too quick fix, or not good enough
then upgrade the tuners to locking, you'll be fine in comparison.

i was actually looking at the string trees the other day, and they are in rough shape visually, but i haven't ever broke a string on one, but roller trees may be the thing to do.

the bridge is totally decked. 5 springs wit .11's for a long time and it just started doing this.

also i was thinking tuners but thats last resort, i want to keep this as OEM as possible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think i'd start with the trees, seems easy enough.
move to locking tuners if still needed.

i think Pete (dirk gently) swapped out for roller trees.
it would have been years ago when i saw that post, so it may have just been a dream, but if you see him around you can ask.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011