I want a Les Paul again. I have a Telecaster and I love it, but I also need a Les Paul.

I do not care about flamed decoration and gorgeous inlays etc. Actually I like them much better without all the "beauty". And I do not want a Tom Anderson piece of art, because I treat my guitar as a tool. It get scratches etc.

Lets say I'm going to buy a new model. We have

a) Les Paul Melody Maker
b) Les Paul LPJ
c) Les Paul Studio
d) Les Paul Studio Pro
e) Les Paul Classic
f) Les Paul Traditional
g) Les Paul Standard
h) Les Paul "out of my price range"

So... if we go for the tone only and the feeling of playing. Should I then go all the way up to (h) Standard, or did I e.g. almost just pay for "finish" after the (e) Classic?
Studios are exactly the same as Standards, but without the flametop & binding etc.

I chose my Studios over the Standards I tried in the shop because it felt better.

Go out there with no preconceptions, play everything and buy your favourite guitar. You may find it isn't a Gibson, or you may find it isn't a Les Paul.

Rule nothing out until you've played it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Honestly if you want the "Les Paul Tone" you should get the Traditional.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Honestly if you want the "Les Paul Tone" you should get the Traditional.

...as well as a Marshall 100w head and stack... No point denying him from the other 90% of the 'Les Paul Tone'.
I definitely need the "Les Paul tone". When it comes to amps, then I'm fully covered :-)
Quote by ultimate16
I definitely need the "Les Paul tone". When it comes to amps, then I'm fully covered :-)

Really? In that case, can you tell us which Marshall you have?
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Marshall SL5
Fender Blues Junior
Orange Tiny Terror Hard Wired with cabinet
Carr Artemus

I have low watt amps only, because I only play in my own "studio".

Then I have a plexi pedal from both Love Pedals and Wampler. To give more Marshall sound.
Last edited by ultimate16 at Jan 22, 2014,
Thats OK then - quite often when people think they have a Marshall but don't specify which, they're talking about an MG or AVT
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
does the headstock have to read "Gibson"?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have an old Studio, great guitar and def. the LP tone.

I'd say any model that has a mahogany neck and maple top will be fine, the extra money goes to binding, fancy tops, and to some extent attention to the little details.

FYI, the Melody maker, LPJ, and Futura models have maple necks which will change the tone somewhat.

Basically if you only have a grand to spend the Studio is fine. If you have more the Classic and Traditional seem pretty great; personally I'm not sure I could justify the additional $500 to get to the Standard.
Last edited by demonhellcat at Jan 22, 2014,
It really depends on what kind of LP you want. The trad, standard and classics have slightly different specs, not better, just different.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by dazza027
...as well as a Marshall 100w head and stack... No point denying him from the other 90% of the 'Les Paul Tone'.

The reason I suggest the Trad is the completely solid body. Not that I mind chambering, mind you, but it does sound different.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
what's the major difference between a classic and a traditional these days?

neck profile probably, classics were usually thin and trads thicker. is that all?

editL just looked. wow just about everything, wtf did they do to the classic?

holy crap.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 22, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020
what's the major difference between a classic and a traditional these days?

neck profile probably, classics were usually thin and trads thicker. is that all?

I think the new classics come with a switch for a boost and a master tone instead of the 2v/2t setup.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah i just looked, pretty much everything.

really surprised they went so far with the classic.

it fills a nice price point for a gigging guitar though.