Page 1 of 6
First of all hello everyone, yes I'm posting here again atleast until the superbowl.

I'm soon done with my masters degree and that means going out on the job market and moving out of my student flat. So I was thinking I'd travel around a bit and try new things while I'm still relatively young.

I am a US citizen and was thinking about using that advantage by moving to the US. Thing is, I haven't even been to the US and while quite acquainted with US culture through mediums I don't know what to actually expect.

I was thinking either San Francisco because of the sun, 49ers and people seem friendly. Or New York because it's closer to Sweden and it seems like a good city to move to. I don't really know that much about other cities besides some superficial stuff.

Now, what should a guy like me expect if I moved to the US? People in general are friendly, right? Is being swedish anything special? How difficult would it be to find a job? I got a masters degree soon (in archaeology, though), I'm proficient in english, swedish, portuguese, german and I have some merits and job experience. I know the job market is tough, and maybe employers aren't that keen on taking a chance on some random swede.

Thoughts, anyone? Is it a good/bad idea?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Try reading up on museum job offers in the US. Or become the Swedish Indiana Jones.
line up the job before you jump.
Much lower chance of getting hit by a subway train in SF than NY.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Move to Detroit.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
San Francisco is extremely expensive so I would avoid unless you have plenty of funds. New York, pretty much the same. Austin Texas has a great music scene and a pretty good economy. I used to live in Boston; it was a great experience but haven't been back in a long time.
Quote by Colgate Total
People in the US are giant cockbags.

They're no worse than people on the internet.
Quote by Weaponized
**** off we're full

--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by Phazon
They're no worse than people on the internet.

What if the bad people on the internet are all Americans?
Quote by Jackal58
line up the job before you jump.
Much lower chance of getting hit by a subway train in SF than NY.

Yeah I'll definetely either have something in store before going there, or save up a ton of money and try my luck. I'd join the military, probably navy, but I don't think I have the eyesight for it.
Quote by captainsnazz
RIP Train

You should expect: guns, idiots, #freedom, religion, guns, flags, obesity, no healthcare, guns, a government run by corporations, #bradthreads, and guns.

I'm used to guns, freedom and guns so I got that covered. I'm a guy who works out every day more or less, will people shoot me for that?

Quote by badfish_lewis
San Francisco is extremely expensive so I would avoid unless you have plenty of funds. New York, pretty much the same. Austin Texas has a great music scene and a pretty good economy. I used to live in Boston; it was a great experience but haven't been back in a long time.

Any coastal cities you could recommend?

Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
As long as you're not black or mocha you'll be fine. San Fran is expensive, go to San Jose instead.

What about San Diego?
Don't move to the West Coast. They're all really super lax, especially when it comes to business, and they also carry a stigma as such. You wouldn't ever be able to make it on the East Coast after adapting to that. Like pretty much all of the grownups that I know that immigrated and went to the West Coast before coming out here really regret not coming directly out here.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Megadethfan245
What if the bad people on the internet are all Americans?

Then the UK would be unplugged.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
why u leave sweden

He secretly wants to brush shoulders with people on the train.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
He secretly wants to brush shoulders with people on the train.

eww
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by theogonia777
Don't move to the West Coast. They're all really super lax, especially when it comes to business, and they also carry a stigma as such. You wouldn't ever be able to make it on the East Coast after adapting to that. Like pretty much all of the grownups that I know that immigrated and went to the West Coast before coming out here really regret not coming directly out here.

Lax how? Is there a big difference between the west and the east?

Quote by sam b
Bloody hell, hello

Long time no see, Sam.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale
why u leave sweden

It's dark, cold and I don't get to brush shoulders with strangers on the train.
Quote by theogonia777
Don't move to the West Coast. They're all really super lax, especially when it comes to business, and they also carry a stigma as such. You wouldn't ever be able to make it on the East Coast after adapting to that.

Bit of an exaggeration. Most people know how to adapt to their surroundings.
Quote by thegonia777
Like pretty much all of the grownups that I know that immigrated and went to the West Coast before coming out here really regret not coming directly out here.

Huh?
Quote by Kensai

It's dark, cold and I don't get to brush shoulders with strangers on the train.

you say that like that's bad

okay its pretty damn ****ing cold now.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Kensai

People on the West Coast are more easy going. Like people in New York are busy, busy, uptight workaholics that shout at each other for no reason and stuff like that. People out West are all easy going. Think of like... the New York businessman stereotype versus the California surfer bro stereotype. That's kind of the general difference, though obviously not as extreme.
Don't move to West Virginia unless your dream is to work in the coal mines and contract black lung.
#protip
Quote by Kensai

West coast is dope and East coast is for losers
Quote by Kensai
Is there a big difference between the west and the east?

Huge.
But.. dem swedish girls man

DEM girls
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
What you have to understand about the US is that geographically, it is obviously far larger than an European country. As a result of having such a large area but a comparatively lower population density, there tends to be many radically different subcultures throughout the country. In a way, the West Coast, Northeast, South, Midwest, Southwest, and Alaska are practically their own countries in terms of cultural diversity, partly because of geographic separation and partly because of the diverse ethnic heritage of different ares.
The south is vibrant, warm, green and economically booming. You'll want to look into that. Especially Texas, I think is doing very well right now in terms of job opportunities.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
The south is vibrant, warm, green and economically booming. You'll want to look into that. Especially Texas, I think is doing very well right now in terms of job opportunities.

Texas has tons of job opportunities and despite the stereotypes is actually becoming steadily more liberal due to the Hispanic population and the influx of young people going there for jobs. Austin for example is one of the most diverse and liberal of all cities in the country. I'm considering moving down there at some point.