Hello, I would like to find a replacement amp for my current Peavey Classic 30 1x12. Im trying to find an affordable Solid State Amp or possibly a Hybrid Amp that I can gig with and can reliably get over drums.

I dont want the upkeep of tubes any longer

Currently, I have a RP1000 unit as well as a Boss 7 Band EQ pedal. (I also have a Boss DS-1 and Boss CS-2 compression pedal)

So far I have seen a Special Chorus 212 that looks promising but I would like more opinions. :

http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/804/117569/Special%26reg%3B%26nbsp%3BChorus%26nbsp%3B212

I play mostly rock and would generally want an amp that is really clean. My budget is looking at about being $400-500 and I am willing to buy used

I generally want a solid state amp that can get a lower volume because I will be at College soon and dont want to interrupt other people. However, I also want an amp that can get loud enough to cover gigs and get over a drummer.
Last edited by Ortiztd at Jan 23, 2014,
Why solid state? Do you like Pantera or Morbid Angel or the like?

Unless of course you want a Roland Jazz Chorus. Very... clean cleans.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I mostly want a solid state because of the ease of upkeep that it is.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Are you having problems with your Peavey Classic 30 or spending lots of time on care and feeding?

Seems like you are wanting to go backwards.

Also, see Post #2 of the Rules and Resources Sticky.

I second this
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
If the tubes are that much of a burden then somethings wrong with your amp.

And if you're in a band with another guitarist with a tube amp, a ss will not cut through the mix.

Plus, the tone man, the tone. Is tone so unimportant to you that you'd rather not change power tubes once a year?!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 22, 2014,
true he had a bad experience with his amp, but if he wants to try a hybrid amp, whatever, it's not going to
be that big of a deal at this budget.
he can always trade again later.

i'm sure there's a peavey will suit him fine for now..

ts check the stickies like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The upkeep of tubes? So you're just gonna take a backwards step in tone because you have to change tubes occasionally?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ortiztd

Could you elaborate? Tube 'upkeep' on that amp should be extremely low? I can't see how it would average out to more than $20 and 10 minutes annually, and most years not even that?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 22, 2014,
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by lucky1978

And if you're in a band with another guitarist with a tube amp, a ss will not cut through the mix.

What makes solid state not cut through the mix over the tube amp? A low ohm cab (as low as solid state amp minimum load allows) on 150w solid state gets insanely loud.

Most of the current solid states are crap but there are good ones too. Though what I could recommend for rock I dont know. The ones I am aware of shine in really high gain stuff, hard rock and metal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
What makes solid state not cut through the mix over the tube amp? A low ohm cab (as low as solid state amp minimum load allows) on 150w solid state gets insanely loud.

Most of the current solid states are crap but there are good ones too. Though what I could recommend for rock I dont know. The ones I am aware of shine in really high gain stuff, hard rock and metal.

There are exceptions for everything. Please find it in your heart to forgive me for forgetting to add in a "generally speaking" or "for the most part" or some other disclaimer for exceptions.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Ortiztd

lel

Well this thread should get interesting.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
TS, from from your op it seems like you may have used been using the classic 30 to ampflier your multieffects unit. If that was case and you don't want to deal with the 'up keep'. Try one of these - http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PowerEng112/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&gclid=CNDY-d7JkrwCFdHm7AodMQsAHg.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I generally want a solid state amp that can get a lower volume because I will be at College soon and dont want to interrupt other people. However, I also want an amp that can get loud enough to cover gigs and get over a drummer.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Peavey Vypyr 60

Or Vypyr 75 if you are hellbent on not having tubes.

That said Vypyr Tube 60 works really well in low volumes and has headphone output for late at night playing.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Can you stop repeating yourself and actually give us some new information? So far what you've posted doesn't make sense.

Don't just skip over these guys:

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Are you having problems with your Peavey Classic 30 or spending lots of time on care and feeding?

Quote by Arby911
Could you elaborate? Tube 'upkeep' on that amp should be extremely low? I can't see how it would average out to more than $20 and 10 minutes annually, and most years not even that?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 23, 2014,
Roland JC120, Musicman HD130, Peavey Classic Chorus 212. They're all basically the same amp. I think the MM and Peavey are hybrids. Same idea though.

With all the money you're saving on tubes, you can afford a chiropractor!

^ I strongly agree with tubetime86's post.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Roland JC120, Musicman HD130, Peavey Classic Chorus 212. They're all basically the same amp. I think the MM and Peavey are hybrids. Same idea though.

Those are all completely different sounding amps. And the Peavey Classic chorus is all SS, only the HD130 is a hybrid amp. I've heard the Peavey CC212 being called the poor man's JC120 before, but I don't think they sound the same at all. It's like comparing a Bassman, a JTM45 and a Bassmaster.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
It's all very well for the tube amp aficionados to protest on tone reasons but where are they gonna be when the OP needs to re-tube and re-bias? Are they gonna be chipping in for the cost? Or doing it for him/her?

Most people in a bar couldn't tell any difference in tone anyway.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
It's all very well for the tube amp aficionados to protest on tone reasons but where are they gonna be when the OP needs to re-tube and re-bias? Are they gonna be chipping in for the cost? Or doing it for him/her?

I agree. I had to change the power tubes in my Valveking last december and it pretty much happened in a time when money was bit tight anyway. 40€ at minimum for cheap set of 4 chinese Shuguang 6L6 tubes. I really did not feel like dropping that kind of money on the tubes at the time. Luckily I had two solid state amps so I could still play.

Not wanting to hassle with tubes is a perfectly fine reason. We live in different financial situations afterall.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 24, 2014,
Quote by The Judist

Well, a complete retube set for the Classic 30 can be had for less than $100, and wouldn't likely be necessary but perhaps every 5 years or so (maybe longer, depending on usage), which is a $20 annual average - hardly excessively burdensome. Of course if the amp is seeing a lot of hard use that costs goes up, but if that's the case mightn't we presume that it's paying for itself?

Let's be serious, do you know ANY guitarists that can't spend $20 annually on maintenance. If so how do they buy strings? I note that OP has a ~$500 budget for a new amp. That's enough maintenance money for at least the next 25 years...

And Classic 30's don't require biasing, although they can benefit tonally from it if one is so inclined. Given that the OP isn't a tone stickler, that's hardly a concern. Peavey biases them very conservatively from the factory, which has the benefit of providing exceptional power tube longevity.

If 'most people in a bar' is your touchstone....well, that's just sad.

Quote by Ortiztd

That's an entirely different reason, and makes good sense. Keep your current amp for playing out and get a POD and headphones for Dorm practice. If you get a Floor POD (HD500 or similar) you might even find it useful for gigging with your current amp. You're looking at $250-300 used and it's vastly more convenient to carry around than a JC120...
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 24, 2014,
Retro Channel RR1. You should be able to find a used one on ebay for roughly $500 bucks. You'd need a speaker cab too, but it's by far the best solid state amp I've ever heard.

Labseries L5. Could be tough to find. BB King uses them, but when I first started playing guitar I used one of these with a Boss GT something or other and it sounded fantastic.

Peavey Vypyr. The most likely choice.

But what do you mean by upkeep? Unless you're really unlucky there should be very little upkeep required for a tube amp. I've played amps on a daily basis and had tubes last from a year to nearly 5 years.

If you're having to replace the tubes any more than once per year then I would suspect that something is going wrong with the amp.

Still, my advice.... Keep the Peavey and use it for gigs. Buy a Pod and use it with headphone for practice.
Quote by icronic

Still, my advice.... Keep the Peavey and use it for gigs. Buy a Pod and use it with headphone for practice.

I have to say, that appears to me to be excellent advice...
Charles Darwin
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a decent SS amp under $500 that will have $0 upkeep cost for 10-15 years as long as you accept that the tradeoffs, namely that when it dies it's probably done for good and it won't sound as good as most tube amps in that price range. Most of us prefer tubes but we're a demographic that cares a lot about such things.

On the other hand - if you've already got a decent tube amp, why spend that on a new amp? You could buy enough tubes for the next 50 years with that budget. I think the reason you're getting so much pushback is that saying you don't want to "deal with tube upkeep" sounds a little absurd because the upkeep is so basic - new power tubes every 3-5 years, new preamp tubes even less frequently, and nothing more difficult than changing a lightbulb as far as the replacement process goes. I could understand the upkeep cost thing if you were on a very tight budget and you didn't already have an amp, but that does not seem to be the case here. Hence the questions.

If you really, really, really are done with tube amps I hope we can all agree to defer to your decision (since it is yours to make) and find you some decent SS amps. As mentioned above, for college use a headphone modeler like a POD is almost certainly the best route. Using an amp in a dorm is often frowned upon. We've even had some members here mention that their dorms specifically banned amps. So you might as well go silent for practice, and use the Peavey when you play out.
Quote by Jhachey22
Those are all completely different sounding amps. And the Peavey Classic chorus is all SS, only the HD130 is a hybrid amp. I've heard the Peavey CC212 being called the poor man's JC120 before, but I don't think they sound the same at all. It's like comparing a Bassman, a JTM45 and a Bassmaster.

I didn't say they were clones, I said (or meant) that they are similar. I don't agree that they sound completely different, at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
People bitching on upkeep?

3 years ago worked a one month summer job, bought 40 packs of strings, 200 or so picks, 20 9 volt batteries and some more stuff.

I still have 4 packs of strings, a lot of picks and only had to buy some new batteries recently.

I never run out, and in fact saved a 100 bucks, due to the quantities I bought that stuff in.

Just buy everything for a few years, cause the thing with money is, if you have more, you also buy a beer more every week, a t shirt faster over there, going out for dinner 1 night a month extra or spend 10 bucks more on a xmas present. You get the point, no?

Hope you all learn from this

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 24, 2014,
Quote by Arby911
Well, a complete retube set for the Classic 30 can be had for less than $100, and wouldn't likely be necessary but perhaps every 5 years or so (maybe longer, depending on usage), which is a $20 annual average - hardly excessively burdensome. Of course if the amp is seeing a lot of hard use that costs goes up, but if that's the case mightn't we presume that it's paying for itself?

Let's be serious, do you know ANY guitarists that can't spend $20 annually on maintenance. If so how do they buy strings? I note that OP has a ~$500 budget for a new amp. That's enough maintenance money for at least the next 25 years...

And Classic 30's don't require biasing, although they can benefit tonally from it if one is so inclined. Given that the OP isn't a tone stickler, that's hardly a concern. Peavey biases them very conservatively from the factory, which has the benefit of providing exceptional power tube longevity.

That's an entirely different reason, and makes good sense. Keep your current amp for playing out and get a POD and headphones for Dorm practice. If you get a Floor POD (HD500 or similar) you might even find it useful for gigging with your current amp. You're looking at $250-300 used and it's vastly more convenient to carry around than a JC120...

All of this. Every word of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911
The OP is a student IIRC so is not gonna be that flush with cash.

Quote by Arby911
When he/she graduates there's not gonna be a lot of work out there so in 5 yrs time a $100 retube might be too painful.
Strings can last for years and I get them cheap cos I have a string deal with a manufacturer

Quote by Arby911
Out here in the REAL world, unsigned bands play in bars, pubs and small venues, sad or not.
I'm not aware of any unsigned band gigs where the audience is purely made of UG GG&A forum tube amp connoisseurs
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Rock?
Stoner?

Whatever.
Either a POD HD500x or an Ampeg SS140.

Wait maybe the new Randall solid state amps are good, I'd try them too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by The Judist
The OP is a student IIRC so is not gonna be that flush with cash.

If $100 every 5 years is an issue, OP is homeless and should sell his amp for food and/or gas-station vodka. Providing OP is gigging, there should not be any issue putting back a few bucks here and there for a retube.

Quote by The Judist

When he/she graduates there's not gonna be a lot of work out there so in 5 yrs time a $100 retube might be too painful.
Strings can last for years and I get them cheap cos I have a string deal with a manufacturer

Once again, if you can't save a mere $100 in a five year period, then you have bigger problems that your guitar rig.

I'm not sure what you mean by "strings can last for years". If you mean unopened, still-in-the-package strings, then sure. But, if you're meaning strings that you play on regularly, then you're some combination of either deaf or have no feeling in your hands. I'm an avid user/praise-singer of Fast Fret, which really does keep strings fresh feeling and sounding. However, there's a time frame on that, and that's about 8-10 weeks max even with a string cleaner. Rusty, dead strings are not good for tone.

Quote by The Judist

Out here in the REAL world, unsigned bands play in bars, pubs and small venues, sad or not.
I'm not aware of any unsigned band gigs where the audience is purely made of UG GG&A forum tube amp connoisseurs

No matter who is in the audience, musicians or not, bad tone is bad tone. Sure, a non-musician isn't going to pick up on the nuances or be as critical as another guitarist will be, but there's a point where anyone who is in the audience will recognize that the guitar sounds like a steaming pile.

That's not to say if someone found an SS amp that they really love that they couldn't make it sound good. I've seen people use MG's and manage to sound good, and I've seen people using nice tube amps sound like garbage. But, trading down, which is essentially what OP is looking to do, is a pretty ill-advised move in most cases because you're sacrificing the quality of your sound to save a small amount of cash.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Peavey Bandit is worth a look if you have to have SS. The old Marshall Mosfet Lead is a nice SS amp, but they are 30ish yrs old

I like the POD + headphones suggestion myself. Good luck TS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Spambot_2

Rock?
Stoner?

Whatever.
Wait maybe the new Randall solid state amps are good, I'd try them too.

They are. I may have been shilling them to death by now but they are damn good amps for the money. Channel 2 being hotrodded RG100 and 3 having a modern, compressed edge to it. But my experience is limited to metal where it shines. For stoner there is a shit ton of low end if needed but lower gain rock... As I mentioned earlier in thread I do not know if I should recommend this amp for it. I have no ear for good low gain sounds, being exposed to high gain stuff for all my life.

Another vote for Pod though. That plus good headphones and you can have some kick ass tones. Needs quite a bit of tweaking though. When I got my Pod X3 I was bit overwhelmed. Had no choice but to do the unmanly thing and read the manual.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by sjones
I'm not sure what you mean by "strings can last for years". If you mean unopened, still-in-the-package strings, then sure. But, if you're meaning strings that you play on regularly, then you're some combination of either deaf or have no feeling in your hands. I'm an avid user/praise-singer of Fast Fret, which really does keep strings fresh feeling and sounding. However, there's a time frame on that, and that's about 8-10 weeks max even with a string cleaner. Rusty, dead strings are not good for tone.

I use fast fret, and it's really good for cleaning/making the strings feel smooth.

I actually leave my strings on for about 6 months or more before I change em, and I play for about 4-5 hours a week. Do you think this is madness? They sound good to me
Quote by lodgi
I use fast fret, and it's really good for cleaning/making the strings feel smooth.

I actually leave my strings on for about 6 months or more before I change em, and I play for about 4-5 hours a week. Do you think this is madness? They sound good to me

Fast Fret, in addition to cleaning and keeping the feel of the strings smooth and new, it also keeps the tone of new strings in tact longer. I swear by the stuff, and it's an essential accessory for me.

As far as keeping strings on a guitar for around 6 months, to me that sounds crazy. Although, if you're only playing a handful of hours per week, and you're consistent about string cleaning, then I suppose it's not impossible for the strings to maintain a decent tone and feel over that amount of time.

It's worth noting that I probably play around 4 times the amount that you do on an average weekly basis, and even more than that when I'm busy with gigs. Naturally, I'm going to go through strings faster.
Quote by Zeppelin71