Hi, I'm in the market for a new electric guitar and can't decide which one to get. I am thinking about getting either a Fender American Standard Stratocaster or a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster. I've done research on them both, but I can't find Guitarists who have played them. I would like some feedback on both of the guitars and how they play. I would also like to know if there is really any difference between them at all. Thanks for you help.
I've never played a Fender Deluxe Strat but the regular Standard Strats or nice. There certainly is a huge price difference, almost double for the Deluxe. Is it realy worth paying double? They look about the same. If money is an issue I honestly would look at the "Vintage" or "Modified" Strats that cell for $300-$400.00. They sound and feel really nice.
Quote by Rickholly74
I've never played a Fender Deluxe Strat but the regular Standard Strats or nice. There certainly is a huge price difference, almost double for the Deluxe. Is it realy worth paying double? They look about the same. If money is an issue I honestly would look at the "Vintage" or "Modified" Strats that cell for $300-$400.00. They sound and feel really nice.

Ok thanks, I didn't really think there were any big differences between them, thats why I asked. I'll look into the Vintage more I guess and thanks for the estimation on the price.
The Deluxe is more modern with the noiseless pickups and the S1 switching, the Standard is more vintage styled with the Fat 50s pickups and the slightly different bridge (though still a 2-point so not a big difference there). The Deluxe isn't double the price of the Standard, retail is $1600 and the Standard's $1200. I don't think there's $400 worth of upgrades on the Deluxe but they are a bit nicer, and they do have some unique colors which some people will pay a bit more for.

I don't think any of the $400 offerings from Fender are anywhere near as good as the Standard, you should check them out if you have the chance but they're just not in the same league if you've got the budget for the USA guitars.

Personally if I had $1600 for a strat I'd get a used Custom Shop model instead of a new Deluxe. There's a nice bump in build quality and sound when you hit the CS guitars. If you want to spend less you can get USA Standards used for $7-800, less if you're patient, and then put some new pickups in them and have a fantastic sounding guitar. Used Deluxes go for ~1000 so that's a decent option too.
There are LOTS of options in the $1200-1600 ange!

Besides Fender, not only are there production Stratclones from makers like G&L, or Godin, there are semi-customs from Carvin & US Masters, and even some full customs from small luthieries like Jon Kammerer and Rock Beach.

Make your list of what you really want, and shop around...shop around...shop up, shop up and shop down!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by jmeredith360
Hi, I'm in the market for a new electric guitar and can't decide which one to get. I am thinking about getting either a Fender American Standard Stratocaster or a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster. I've done research on them both, but I can't find Guitarists who have played them. I would like some feedback on both of the guitars and how they play. I would also like to know if there is really any difference between them at all. Thanks for you help.

There's a sticky about this type of thread and the details you ought to put in your post to get useful input from us.

I was going to say get the Deluxe but that was with the assumption you were more interested in a modern sound. Are you after a classic tone? What kind of music are you interested in playing (surf, rockabilly, hard rock, country, ambiance)?

You haven't really given any info except that you've done your research on these 2 options. But if you have in fact done that research, you already know the differences in hardware, how the pickups are voiced, how the pups are wired, the neck profiles, etc.

So what is it you're actually trying to sort out?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native