Hi!

I'm just wondering if any of you guys know some exercises for the fretting hand that helps you develop efficiency. More precisely, I'd like to "un-learn" the habit that my fingers go all over the place. I don't have trouble hitting the right notes or chords, but it can be very time consuming having your fingers too far away from the fretboard. Any suggestions on how to tackle this issue?

tl;dr: Need excercises for keeping my fingers close to the fretboard.

Cheers!
Take whatever tune you are working on and use that. It's far better that you take a song you want to learn and make sure that you are keeping your fingers close to the fretboard when playing that then just doing a bunch of exercises.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Take whatever tune you are working on and use that. It's far better that you take a song you want to learn and make sure that you are keeping your fingers close to the fretboard when playing that then just doing a bunch of exercises.

Alright, I understand what you're saying and that would be my first choice. The problem is that I can't. Doesn't matter how slow I practice, my fingers tend to get away from the fretboard. I just can't keep my pinky and ring finger close. It probably has to do with finger independence issues as well. Anyway, all ideas are appreciated.