College Fraternity Hosts MLK Party, Serves Drinks in Watermelon Cups

local source:
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2014/01/asu_fraternity_mlk_party_watermelon_cups.php
national source:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/22/fraternity-mlk-party-arizona-state/4767257/

Photos posted to social-media websites show white Arizona State University students dressed up in basketball jerseys and bandannas, throwing up gang signs, and drinking out of a watermelon cup as part of an "MLK party."

"Just a day after the nation celebrated the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., racism has reared its head at one of the America's largest universities," says the Reverend Jarrett Maupin, a local black activist.

Maupin, who saw photos of the party early this morning, says the "MLK Black Party" was organized by members of ASU's Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Should they get expelled over this?
Expelled from what? I don't think people actually attend classes at Arizona State
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
It was in pretty bad taste regardless, and I don't see how anyone could argue with that.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
A fraternity at my school did an MLK party where they all dressed as ghetto as they possibly could. They went to the salvation army to buy clothes and then got shit faced off 40s and malt liquor.

They didn't get caught though.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
its like people expect frats to not be braindead morons or something
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
There's no excuse for disciplining/expelling someone for their personal beliefs, even if their beliefs are those of a disgusting, racist piece of shit. Period.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
College frats doing stupid things?

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
As A White Patriarch It Offends Me How The Blacks Can Attend These Fine Establishments,Dress In The Cloths Made For Proper White Folk AND Throw Parties Serving Drinks Out Of White Cups! What Type Of Message Does That Send If We're Are Making Such A Fuss Out Of This Silly Little Misunderstanding While Turning A Blind Eye To The REAL Issue At Hand?

Quote by cho0onger
There's no excuse for disciplining/expelling someone for their personal beliefs, even if their beliefs are those of a disgusting, racist piece of shit. Period.

I am going to preserve this post, because it is one of the finest examples of pure stupid I have ever seen. Thank you cho0onger, thank you.
Quote by Weaponized
I am going to preserve this post, because it is one of the finest examples of pure stupid I have ever seen. Thank you cho0onger, thank you.

this is one of the worst replies to a stupid post I've ever seen. I've highlighted the particularly bad parts
Quote by genghisgandhi
this is one of the worst replies to a stupid post I've ever seen. I've highlighted the particularly bad parts

ty genghis, I will try to do better next time.
Quote by TunerAddict
its like people expect frats to not be braindead morons or something

This
Quote by Jako215
Oh white people. How cute.

we are pretty adorable
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
we are pretty adorable

Thx bb <4

luv u 2 :*
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Disappointed with the lack of blacking up.

Arizona's dumb, but not Australia dumb
Quote by Rossenrot
Another great reason to disband all fraternities/sororities.

I've never any reason why they're so important. People bring up friends and belonging and stuff but once you cut out all the hazing and shit you're just in a glorified club. All my friends in a frat have a ton of stupid responsibilities and don't hang out with their friend so they can be with frat people. And my friends are only in the music frat that's pretty well behaved and doesn't do stuff like this.

They seem like a giant collection of assholes.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I always appreciate when a large group of racist assclowns gathers in one place, it makes it easier to avoid them...

But I don't see a disciplinary issue here.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I always appreciate when a large group of racist assclowns gathers in one place, it makes it easier to avoid them...

But I don't see a disciplinary issue here.

Depends on the university's policies. If that organization is subject to school policy then they could take action. They were already on whatever kind of probation.

Even if there isn't a real rule, the school might boot them out so they don't get stuck with this then make a new rule covering it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Depends on the university's policies. If that organization is subject to school policy then they could take action. They were already on whatever kind of probation.

Even if there isn't a real rule, the school might boot them out so they don't get stuck with this then make a new rule covering it.

I agree, the school may choose to take action. I was simply saying I don't feel it's required. I do think that the students of the institution that do not agree with this behavior should feel free to shun these scumbags and revile against their actions though...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I agree, the school may choose to take action. I was simply saying I don't feel it's required. I do think that the students of the institution that do not agree with this behavior should feel free to shun these scumbags and revile against their actions though...

Instead of expelling them I would just disband the fraternity on that campus permanently. A lot of frats are national so that would be a stain on all of them and most people know who's in what frat. The members would definitely get a bad rep.

^It really does.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by HelpTravesty
I mean, its not that bad. Being offended is a choice.

Is it? If you have to decide whether or not something is offensive or not, then chances are it's not If you are offended, surely it would be an immediate and subconscious reaction, rather than something that you ponder and choose your position on?