Hi guys!

So I have an ENGL Powerball 2, and I really love the sound of it, but I just think that its missing something like power or something like that. I notice when I play the 6th string open with palm mute, it doesnt sound fully 'chugged', if you know what i mean. whenever i play Open E i have to do the 0-2-2 Power chord to sound 'chuggy' enough.

My bandmates tell me its because it lacks reverb, and that reverb would add the last bit of power it needs to sound huge. And since the clean channel its definitely missing reverb, I'm willing to buy a reverb pedal.

What do you guys think?

and about the reverb pedal, what should I buy? and I dont have much cash to spend, so i'd like something cheap.
Reverb for distorted metal rhythms? No thanks, not unless you're in a black metal band...

What guitar/pickups are you using?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Might be your pickups, TBH. EMGs tend to compress palm mutes in a weird way that makes them sound really smooth and not very dynamic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Try droptuning a little bit.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by MatrixClaw
Might be your pickups, TBH. EMGs tend to compress palm mutes in a weird way that makes them sound really smooth and not very dynamic.
Up for this.

EMGs and most active pickups in general tend not to be good for chugging.
In my experience, if you get the right amp, a vintage output tele bridge pickup chugs as good if not better than EMG 81s, do try that with passive pickups and see how you like that.

Also, about what ug's Michael Westen said, that's right.
You can chug in standard E or drop D or whatever, but it does sound more chugged if you tune some the whole thing some steps down.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 22, 2014,
Try an overdrive as a boost.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100