Heya

I recently decided to change up my whole rig for the (hopefully) better. I've been gathering some nice new toys over the last month and here is some of it.

This was my old setup:

Guitar -> Fender PT-100 Tuner -> DOD EQ -> MXR GT-OD -> PedalProjects Clark Gainster clone -> Orange Rocker 30.

As much as I loved the Rocker, specially for vintage rock - it's a beast at low-mid gain tones, I wanted something different. Sooooo I sold the Rocker and ordered this:

(Invalid img)

A Jet City JCA 22H and Harley Benton 1x12 Vintage 30 loaded cab. I know, I know, nothing rare or special here but my god, this amp is a beast! It can do everything from almost clean to the meanest modern rock tones (I don't play metal).

The Crunch channel is fantastic, a very good JCM800 sound. I usually keep the gain at around 1-2 which gives me a great clean with a strat and just a hint of breakup with my LTD EC-1000. Gain at 4-5 is straight up JCM800 rock tone, sounds nothing short of awesome! With gain cranked it can easily do some pretty heavy rock.

The Overdrive channel is a whole different beast and kind of just takes off from the Crunch channel getting heavier and heavier and meaner and meaner. With gain at 2 it's 80s hard rock, gain at 4 it's modern rock (or gain at 2 and a good boost). With the gain above 5 it gets very compressed and I never take the gain there, not for me.

I know this amp has been reviewed and talked about over and over again for the last couple of years so I won't bore you any more but having owned more expensive bigger brand amps like Marshall TSL, Peavey Classic 50, Orange Rocker 30 I can honestly say that I like this little cheap beast way better, biggest bang for the buck out there - at least for me!

Here's a pic of the new and old amp before I parted with the Orange:

After christmas I had some cash to blow so I got these guys:

The TC is just perfect. It's small, it's simple and it does everything I want and more. I absolutely love it in front of the amp and doubt I'll part with it for a very long time.

The Mojo Hand FX Colossus Fuzz is a beast! It's the most wonderful sounding and versatile fuzz I've ever played. The tone control is very usable and the mid control is great, really helps it cut through. The 3-way clipping switch emphasized the highs, lows or leaves it standard in the middle which I like the most. This one is a keeper for sure!

I however have one problem with the amp and that's the FX loop. It's just not that good. When I plug the Flashback in it compresses the signal and the whole amps gets more compressed. Actually makes the clean channel sound nicer but the overdrive is pretty unusable with that much compression.

Sorry for a long post but I just had to get this stuff out there. I'll post some updated rig pics when my pedalboard build is done, probably next weekend.

-Jon

Edit:
Here is a short sound clip I recorded. I was fooling around with some Foo Fighters and got a damn good tone for Everlong.

I recorded this with my Galaxy S4 so it's a horrible recording as well as sloppy playing but you get the idea :

https://soundcloud.com/j-n-r-sigmun...1/everlong-test

The signal chain is LTD EC1000 w/ SD Jazz/Custom 5 -> Clark Gainster (kicked on to boost a bit) -> JCA22H on the overdrive channel.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Jan 30, 2014,
Happy NGD man! The jet citys have a lot of gain on tap when I played one (50 watt model). Congrats on the Mojo hand ,those guys make some great sounding dirt boxes.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Congrats!

I've had my JCA50H for a little over a year now, and I'm still in love :love:

If you ever get a little bored of that v30, try a eminence v12. I have both in different cabs. I keep jumping back and forth.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Thank you all, I love my tiny stack :P When I'm finished with my pedalboard it will be a small but mean rig!

Quote by red.guitar
Congrats!

I've had my JCA50H for a little over a year now, and I'm still in love :love:

If you ever get a little bored of that v30, try a eminence v12. I have both in different cabs. I keep jumping back and forth.

I'm just about done breaking the v30 in, I love it so far just sounds better every time I plug it in but I'll probably get a 2x12 with some kind of a speaker combination someday. I planend on ordering the 2x12 v30 loaded HB cab but it was too expensive to ship to Iceland so I couldn't be bothered with it. This 1x12 sounds huge and has no problem keeping up with a drummer.
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
You pretty much got there what I am aiming to get in the following weeks (apart I am getting the 50h and the g212). Great to hear you're satisfied. HNAD
try turning the TC to ture bypass. perhaps the buffer on it is cuasing some compression. the stock settings has the buffer on i believe. doesnt it? i forget.

the best part of the review you did not discuss - the hot plate!!!! that is something special. expensive units, and you can really get some tone at home with that thing. best part.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
All awesome choices! Happy NGD
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by ikey_
try turning the TC to ture bypass. perhaps the buffer on it is cuasing some compression. the stock settings has the buffer on i believe. doesnt it? i forget.

the best part of the review you did not discuss - the hot plate!!!! that is something special. expensive units, and you can really get some tone at home with that thing. best part.

I tried flipping the switch on the TC and nothing changes:/ my amp tech I go to said the fx loop input or output signal was too strong which was the cause.

the hotplate I haven't really used much - the JC sounds so good at bedroom levels that there's no need for the hot plate. It's actually for sale to pay for my next buy - a tele!
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
hmm. well at least you tried. fortunately i think my tweaker has quite a nice loop, no gripes. but that certainly would annoy me as i hate my delay in front of the amp. i do love the flashback though.

hotplate - really? do you like power tube breakup tone? i mean, have you tried using the hot plate so that you can CRANK your master?

you should get a different response with the hot plate, as that would be power tubes doing a lot of the work, and without it you are relying almost entirely on the preamp.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
hmm. well at least you tried. fortunately i think my tweaker has quite a nice loop, no gripes. but that certainly would annoy me as i hate my delay in front of the amp. i do love the flashback though.

hotplate - really? do you like power tube breakup tone? i mean, have you tried using the hot plate so that you can CRANK your master?

you should get a different response with the hot plate, as that would be power tubes doing a lot of the work, and without it you are relying almost entirely on the preamp.

Of course I like a pushed amp, who doesn't? The thing is that when the amp is cranked the hot plate sucks out way too much tone in my opinion. I however have not used it a lot, I'll fool around with it some more before selling it.
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Last edited by jonthorsigmunds at Jan 23, 2014,
Most people do not like power tube distortion.

Most of your tone is coming from the preamp.

I wouldn't use an attenuator unless absolutely necessary - like recording and gigs.

I've heard the Hot Plates suck tone.

I do not have direct experience though.
yeah i have heard that. i wonder how other methods like the eminence attenuating speakers work in regards to tone suck
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
I hear the jet city attenuator is suppose to be pretty awesome. I haven't tried it myself tho.

I was contemplating buying some sort of attenuator for home practice, but I just couldn't justify the cost. I ended up building myself and Isolation box, with a speaker mount inside so that I can easily swap out speakers. Cost me about $50 all said and done (I already had some speakers kicking around). I intended to run a mic in the box to my interface, so I could rock out with some headphones on, and do some recording; but my interface decided to die on me, just as I finished building the box

I can put my JCA50H to a little over 3/4 on the master, and you can still hold a conversation while playing
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jan 23, 2014,
Nice haul! I was going to do a NAD but I feel like you've done my setup enough justice. I just got a Randall 2x12 w/ v30s and a JCA50. If you play rock or metal, this amp is an absolute beast. To me, the Overdrive Channel is like a DSL's Ultra Channel but with less high end and mids and better bass responses (the 6L6s probably help this).
Quote by evmac
Nice haul! I was going to do a NAD but I feel like you've done my setup enough justice. I just got a Randall 2x12 w/ v30s and a JCA50. If you play rock or metal, this amp is an absolute beast. To me, the Overdrive Channel is like a DSL's Ultra Channel but with less high end and mids and better bass responses (the 6L6s probably help this).

Everyone enjoys a NAD no matter how similar / big / small! Pics please
awesome I told you the jet cities were downright killer for the money The loop is a common complaint, it's line level i think, so not all pedals will work with it. IIRC the old music radar forum had a thread which listed which delay pedals worked in the jet city loop, but that forum closed.

Nice other scores too on the pedals
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
awesome I told you the jet cities were downright killer for the money The loop is a common complaint, it's line level i think, so not all pedals will work with it. IIRC the old music radar forum had a thread which listed which delay pedals worked in the jet city loop, but that forum closed.

Nice other scores too on the pedals

I know you did, I'm glad I finally listened and went for it, I've been thinkin about it for a year!

I found a thread somewhere and the TC flashback is supposed to work but it doesn't:My amp tech said he can mod it to a selectable line level for 100-120 bucks but I think it's a bit too much, it works great in front of the amp
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
I grabbed a jca100h for dirt cheap on Cl the other day, it is now safely in a case in the bands trailer while my trusty dsl sits at home haha. It is INSANE. Clean channel responds really well to a bunch of different pup configurations. I like to keep my coils tapped with the clean.

How's the flashback? does your amp have an FX loop? wondering how that pedal works with the amp, looking for a new delay. Great buy!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
I know you did, I'm glad I finally listened and went for it, I've been thinkin about it for a year!

I found a thread somewhere and the TC flashback is supposed to work but it doesn't:My amp tech said he can mod it to a selectable line level for 100-120 bucks but I think it's a bit too much, it works great in front of the amp

and yeah now you mention it I think I remember the flashback being on the list of the ones which worked That's weird. As you said, probably not worth modding it, especially if it sounds fine out front (the only reason for using the loop is if it doesn't sound good into the front of the amp).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Katsock
I grabbed a jca100h for dirt cheap on Cl the other day, it is now safely in a case in the bands trailer while my trusty dsl sits at home haha. It is INSANE. Clean channel responds really well to a bunch of different pup configurations. I like to keep my coils tapped with the clean.

How's the flashback? does your amp have an FX loop? wondering how that pedal works with the amp, looking for a new delay. Great buy!

The Flashback is amazing. Does everything I want and more. I usually keep it on the tape, analog or 2290 settings, dotted 1/8's with feedback and time at around noon and level at around 10 o clock. It doesn't get in the way and just makes the sound bigger and better.

The Flashback SHOULD work in the JC loops but for some reason doesn't work well in mine I love it in front though!
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Sorry to bring up a dead post but here is a short sound clip I just recorded. I was fooling around with some Foo Fighters and got a damn good tone for Everlong.

I recorded this with my Galaxy S4 so it's a horrible recording as well as sloppy playing but you get the idea

https://soundcloud.com/j-n-r-sigmundsson-1/everlong-test

The signal chain is LTD EC1000 w/ SD Jazz/Custom 5 -> Clark Gainster (kicked on to boost a bit) -> JCA22H on the overdrive channel.
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...