My friend'sgibson sg standard has really bad feedback. Even at lower volumes as soon as you give it distortion it squeals like a stuck pig. Tried different amps, pedals and cables but the problem remains. Any ideas what could be wrong?
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
microphonic pickups? that'd be my first thought. you can get them wax potted (most small pickup companies will do this) or depending on what that costs it might not cost much more to upgrade the pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would go with the microphonic pickup idea as well. What model is it? I know the old burst buckers weren't potted.
I agree about the potted pick up idea. I never thought about it until recently but I know someone who developed that problem on guitar he had had for many years. It never acted that way before then last summer it started. At first it didn't make sense since I knew he had owned this guitar for about 20 years. Looking closely at it I also noticed that his pick guard was slightly warped. He mentioned that he often leaves his guitar in his car overnight and maybe it got so hot inside the car that it warped the plastic pick guard a little. I would imagine anything hot enough to melt the plastic pick guard could easily melt the wax in the pickups to some degree.
^ Possibly, yeah.

That being said TS is in Northern Ireland and the odds of getting temperatures that high, or even sunshine, are virtually nil. But last summer actually was pretty hot, it hit 29C for a few days!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies guys. Microphonic pups look like a real probability. I don't know exactly what model it is just that it's an American stndard. Need to talk him into getting it looked at cos it's driving me nuts.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

I assume the pickups are seated in the pickguard? Or does it have metal pickup rings, I've had this same problem with two guitars that went away when I switched from metal to plastic rings
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
if the pickups are rattling about that wouldn't help either and can add to microphony. that's something you can check yourself, that the springs are holding the pickup properly etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They sit in the pickguard. I'll have a look at it when I see him on Monday night. Cheers.