What are the pros to learning all five positions in the minor pentatonic scale? and are all scales this way? where there are multiple positions? if so, do most people learn all positions of scales they play? and how many scales do people normally know? thanks.
Scales are not positions on the neck, a scale is a collection of pitches.

I think guitarists have a harder time with scales than let's say pianist just because we have so many places were the note occur in the same octave.

That being said, i always believe learning the sound and intervalls of a scale is far more important then to being able to play it up and down in every "position". Learn the sound of the scales, learn to sing them. Learn to be able to play a chord progression and sing the major scale of that key, and find it by just listening.

Good ears is the best way to approach anything in music, be it scales to tunes, arpeggios to rhythms.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
^ Agreed.

The problem is that the same note occurs in different places on a guitar neck.

I suppose technically you can have the same number of positions as notes in the scale. Normally there are considered to be five positions, though, since some of them overlap enough to the point that it's debatable if you need to consider them a separate shape (though IIRC one of troy stetina's books I have about scales mentions 7 positions for the diatonic scales, not 5).

But yeah you can get bogged down in the shapes, it's more useful to play the right notes. I could be wrong but I can't imagine anyone saying to you, "That sounded great but I'd have preferred you to use position 2 there" (outside of an exam scenario).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 22, 2014,
If you know your pentatonic/major scale you can analyze music a lot easier and you know where to go with it. You can also build chords and triads with ease, if you know the degrees of the scale. You can also know which notes to target within a chord progression easier.

Learn the pentatonic which is a 5 note subset of the 7 note diatonic. Then learn the major scale. You can construct any other scale with ease knowing the major scale by formula.

The 5 shapes helps you break it the fretboard into manageable chunks. It's up to you to see how to piece them together. The ultimate goal with it is to visualize the fretboard as one big pattern.

I'd say learn all the natural notes (A,B,C,D,E,F,G) while learning the pentatonic and then the diatonic. Once you've learned the C major scale, you can transpose that big pattern anywhere.

The ultimate goal is to know it so well you are just using your ear.
The "pro" of learning anything is that you can play the instrument better.