now, i've played this riff since i could play a guitar, and my buddy said that normal people can't play it, on account of breaking my pinkie and it never healing right. whether or not that's true, is why i've come here.

here's a video of me playing the riff. (notice how i use my pinkie to bar all the notes)

here's the video showing myself playing it

tab:
dropped A#/Bb
1|--------------------------------------| |------------------------------------------|
2|--------------------------------------| |------------------------------------------|
3|--------------------------------------| |-----------------************-------------|
4|---------------------7---------------| |-----------------------8------------------|
5|---------5---7---8---8---7---5----| |---------5---7---8--------8---7---5----|
6|--0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0--| |--8---8---8---8---8---8---8---8---8--|

the area with the *s, is the point where i bar the eighth fret with my pinkie. what i want to know is, is there any truth behind what my buddy said? am i some sort of prodigy? (not really though) but i'd just like to hear someone's opinion on if it is just me being able to do that because of my pinkie, because now it's really got me curious.
you're not a prodigy and this is not a cool riff. It's your stock standard generic as **** metalcore riff. Sorry bro
Quote by vayne92
you're not a prodigy and this is not a cool riff. It's your stock standard generic as **** metalcore riff. Sorry bro

are you actually ****ing r-r-******ed? that was a joke. and i never once said it was cool, nor do i give two ever loving ****s about your definition of "cool" is. all i ****ing asked for was if someone with an undamaged pinkie can do that.
Quote by JustALameKid
are you actually ****ing r-r-******ed? that was a joke. and i never once said it was cool, nor do i give two ever loving ****s about your definition of "cool" is. all i ****ing asked for was if someone with an undamaged pinkie can do that.

Yes I'm 12 and have autism sorry. Others can do it.
It's annoying to play with a regular pinky, but in the end, all that means is you can play a slightly different permutation of pedal notes and chugs than the other five million post-Gothenburg riffs out there. Experiment a bit and see what else you can do with that pinky-barring.

Also, wrong forum.
Quote by vayne92

Don't listen to this prick, his avatar is a fedora for christs sake.
Cavalcade

okay, cool, thanks i'll keep that in mind.

Macabre_Turtle
supersac

ty that was literally all i wanted to hear
Isn't it barring this kind of riff will produce some unwanted noise?
Do you feel like I do!?
That's the way i always played power chords (with my pinky barring the fifth and the octave).
Quote by arkhon2408
That's the way i always played power chords (with my pinky barring the fifth and the octave).

i heard jimmy page plays that way also. i do sometimes.
Quote by EddieHet
Isn't it barring this kind of riff will produce some unwanted noise?

i'm not sure, but i can see it being plausible.
It's useful to be able to barre with pinky. I think it seems most intuitive to play the pedal 8 with finger 3 and then use 1,2,4,4,4,2,1 for the notes. I can do this also (have normal pinky) probably because I used to play regular power chords with 1-4 a lot and then those dropped tuning nu metal power chord riffs that go all over the place. You pretty much have to play that stuff with pinky sometimes, so I think most guitarists can do this - especially those who play dropped a lot. Either way it's nice and you should keep it on - should be a nice tool for some more advanced stuff