I've scoured the internet and so many YouTube videos but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

I have a guitar body of the Yamaha eg112 that I will be stripping the paint off with a heat gun in a few days. Then ill sand it down and what not.

What I'm unsure of is how I need to do things when I come to paint it...

Like do I need to apply some sort of primer or something first? Then spray a few colour coats overs, then cover it with like a clear coat laquer or something? Or do some colour coats already come with a primer?

As you can see I'm not really sure what I need...any suggestions?

*ive never painted anything before so all of this is completely new to me.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

I think this should help.

Seems like you got the gist, but remember, theres hours of sanding, repainting, sanding, repainting to be done to get a good paint job. have fun, and try not to give up, because i know i wanted to my first go-round.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
DO NOT STRIP THE ENTIRE FINISH OFF!
I dont know why everybody always thinks they have to strip it to wood. That just quadruples the work you have to do. All you have to do is scuff the existing finish with 400-800 grit sandpaper until it doenst have any more shiny spots. Then prime and paint, clear coat. It is that simple.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I dont know why everybody always thinks they have to strip it to wood. That just quadruples the work you have to do. All you have to do is scuff the existing finish with 400-800 grit sandpaper until it doenst have any more shiny spots. Then prime and paint, clear coat. It is that simple.

+311
Quote by abyssspecter
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

I think this should help.

Seems like you got the gist, but remember, theres hours of sanding, repainting, sanding, repainting to be done to get a good paint job. have fun, and try not to give up, because i know i wanted to my first go-round.

Thanks for the link man! It's pretty useful ^.^

I'm still currently taking the paint of the body still, I'm about 6 hours in and I've got the back and sides done, just the front to go .

Quote by Explorerbuilder

Ahh I know I don't have to, I just want to as this guitar is more of a learning project than simply personalising a guitar. There are also numerous dents and chips I want to fill in as the previous owner really bashed this guitar around.

Also would you happen to recommend any primer/colour/clear coat sprays or companies that make them? I get the impression most spray paints that are used on cars are fine to use on guitars.
From my experience, car spray paint works (though the 1 time I tried it, the color was darker than expected on the guitar). I use walmart brand, and I wont say it looks great, but it can be acceptable, depending on you, I guess.

I don't know of any of the "quailty" sites, but i know you can find some that mix colors into rattle cans.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.