I've been toying with this concept. Most people pick one or the other. I have a small pedal board and I already have a Flanger. I'm wondering if adding a phaser would be overkill.

For those that have both, ho do you run them? My Flanger sounds great in the loop but I've heard that Phaser sounds better in front of the amp.

-Major Bludd
If you like both, then go for it. Even though they are similar effects, they do have their differences. Listen to Van Halen's "Unchained". That's one example of a sound you can get with a flanger that just wouldn't sound the same with a phaser
I've known several who have both on the same board. Usually they use the phaser for a more subtle sort of swirling tone and the flanger for the over top jet sound.
Cool. I have a Maxon FL 9 Flanger and I love it. (SERIOUSLY GASsing for a Hartman Flanger, tho) It's a subtle and rather Chorusy Flanger, and I have it set as a medium Flanger. If I got a Phaser, how would you recommend I run it? And should I run it in to loop or in front of the Amp?
Quote by Major Bludd
Cool. I have a Maxon FL 9 Flanger and I love it. (SERIOUSLY GASsing for a Hartman Flanger, tho) It's a subtle and rather Chorusy Flanger, and I have it set as a medium Flanger. If I got a Phaser, how would you recommend I run it? And should I run it in to loop or in front of the Amp?

I run my phaser in front of the amp. Some people might even tell you to run it in front of your dirt although personally I like it between my dirt and my amp.

I have my rate and depth/color control set low. It gives subtle swirly sound. Kind of like the clean guitar at the beginning of Cherub Rock for example. It depends on the phaser you get though. A Phase 90 and a Small Stone are going to be very different.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Jan 23, 2014,
Quote by iwannabesedated
I run my phaser in front of the amp. Some people might even tell you to run it in front of your dirt although personally I like it between my dirt and my amp.

I have my rate and depth/color control set low. It gives subtle swirly sound. Kind of like the clean guitar at the beginning of Cherub Rock for example. It depends on the phaser you get though. A Phase 90 and a Small Stone are going to be very different.

So a Phaser Post-Dirt / Flanger in loop?

If the Phaser 90 and the Small Stone are so different, where does the Maxon PT-9 Pro + fall? I've found very little info on it and I can get one for a good deal. (Besides, it would be a cool counterpart to my FL-9)
Last edited by Major Bludd at Jan 23, 2014,
look into an Electric Mistress http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElMistressSt?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CPjyh6nKk7wCFSdp7AodXQUAtA

both chorus and flanger, the flanger does go faster and slower but also has freeze points.

it really works well as a chorus if you wanted to do that. but one nice thing is that they are in time within each other.

its different. some like it some hate it. i don't have it on my peda lboard all the time though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
look into an Electric Mistress http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ElMistressSt?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CPjyh6nKk7wCFSdp7AodXQUAtA

both chorus and flanger, the flanger does go faster and slower but also has freeze points.

it really works well as a chorus if you wanted to do that. but one nice thing is that they are in time within each other.

its different. some like it some hate it. i don't have it on my peda lboard all the time though.

I've been looking at the Hartman Flanger, which is a clone of the original Electric Mistress.

My concern is this: I've been told that the Hartman is VERY noisy and I like my Maxon because it's so quiet. I may address this in a separate thread sometime soon.
Quote by Major Bludd
So a Phaser Post-Dirt / Flanger in loop?

If the Phaser 90 and the Small Stone are so different, where does the Maxon PT-9 Pro + fall? I've found very little info on it and I can get one for a good deal. (Besides, it would be a cool counterpart to my FL-9)

I've heard it's closer to the Phase 90, but it's also very versatile. Other than that I don't know, I've never used one.
Quote by iwannabesedated
I've known several who have both on the same board. Usually they use the phaser for a more subtle sort of swirling tone and the flanger for the over top jet sound.

I usually do the opposite
Some flangers have really great subtle chorusey tones. Not all flangers are jet flangers.
I use my phaser for 'have a cigar' type tones in comparison. Or univibe approximation tones.

I definitely love phasers out in front. Jet flangers too. But if I'm going for a more choruses flange tone than it goes in the loop. Never liked phaser in the loop very much in comparison to out front
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Jan 23, 2014,
Quote by 757ian123
If you like both, then go for it. Even though they are similar effects, they do have their differences. Listen to Van Halen's "Unchained". That's one example of a sound you can get with a flanger that just wouldn't sound the same with a phaser

and then listen to "Atomic Punk" and "Eruption" for a phaser sound

I have my "block" Phase 90 (gonna trade it in and get the EVH Phaser so I have the "script" and "block" sounds. right before my Ibanez DFL Flanger on my pedalboard, I have the DFL set to a RATM's "Wake Up" type of sound of a Iron Maiden's "Number Of The Beast" type sound and the Phaser for EVH's sound, or with the speed all the way down to get a Smashing Pumpkins lead tone with my Big Muff (haven't gotten a MXR Distortion II yet). Probably going to build BYOC's Analog Flanger kit at some point.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Last edited by KerNeL_KLuTcH at Jan 23, 2014,
I have never been able to get "Jet sounds" out of a flanger. I use them because when the rate is set low they just sound ****ing evil.

I have a Mooer Eleclady, which is a clone of the Deluxe Electric Mistress (same as the Hartman).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Although I don't own a phaser I feel it'd be based on what you were going to play. If I felt a phaser would be better for something then I'd use it. If I felt the flanger would be better then I'd use that. They really can be used completely different, and how you use them would justify consistently using both. I feel that might be stating the obvious, but alas...

Also, I have the Hartman, and it really is top notch if you want the authentic chorus-like flanger.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I like to phase before dirt and flange after. And mobius all the way!
i have both and a chorus pedal....lol. my phaser is in front. its an r28 modded phase 90 and sounds great for all things van halen...and some lead stuffs. my flanger is an ibanez cf7 flange/chorus i only use it for the flange. idk why but i have a soft spot for those old tone lock pedals. anyway thats set up to do the unchained flange sound. it sits right next to the micro chorus in the loop.

do it up man get both versatility is fun
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I have a small stone in front of dirt and an eleclady flanger after delay, just to be different
Quote by iheartgun
i have both and a chorus pedal....lol. my phaser is in front. its an r28 modded phase 90 and sounds great for all things van halen...and some lead stuffs. my flanger is an ibanez cf7 flange/chorus i only use it for the flange. idk why but i have a soft spot for those old tone lock pedals. anyway thats set up to do the unchained flange sound. it sits right next to the micro chorus in the loop.

do it up man get both versatility is fun

i never owned one of the tonelock, but it is one of the best innovations for even a cheaper pedal. why not do it on more things?

it would save a lot of frustration if everything was, then you connect, don't have to worry bumping a knob with your foot. etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by iwannabesedated

+1

This is what I do. It's all colours. There's no reason you can't have both a fuzz and a distortion pedal on the same board.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.