I mostly record things like death metal and, more recently, some neo-classical. But lately I've wanted to have a go at the kind of black metal I enjoy. The perfect example of the sound I like would be the Ulver album Nattens Madrigal. That cold, harsh guitar tone and compressed drum sound.

How can I get that general sound? I have Amplitube 3 and the expansions for it for guitars, and superior drummer 2 for drums. Using these, and any freeware vsts around, How can I get those harsh guitars, over-compressed drums, and still fill the space of the mix?

Thank you in advance for answers!
Drums: turn the room mix way up.

Guitars: cut everything under 250 or so.

Now you have all the mx space you could ever want, so that takes care of that.

Bonus kilt points: move your whole studio to the nearest forest and record everything there.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jan 23, 2014,
^^that's a good start.

You're asking "ey how do I get nice guitars, good drums and a fill up the entire space (good mix)".

You make it sound as a walk in the park.

Getting a good mix is the whole deal, and if the answer could be given in one post everyone would be a good record producer.

Not being negative btw, but ya know it's not a one post question haha

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 23, 2014,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
^^that's a good start.

You're asking "ey how do I get nice guitars, good drums and a fill up the entire space (good mix)".

You make it sound as a walk in the park.

Getting a good mix is the whole deal, and if the answer could be given in one post everyone would be a good record producer.

Not being negative btw, but ya know it's not a one post question haha

On the contrary, he's asking "how do I get nasty, jagged guitars, and harsh, ambient drums." The Nattens Madrigal sound is legendary in black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZYa8QkrjCA

It's still not a one-post question, though.
The old addage of this kinda thing has always been, it's not as simple as doing a shit job.

You have to do a good job of making it sounds like it's been done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing... but still keeping it listenable.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
The old addage of this kinda thing has always been, it's not as simple as doing a shit job.

You have to do a good job of making it sounds like it's been done by someone who doesn't know what they're doing... but still keeping it listenable.

It would be a lot easier if he's using real instruments/amps (including the drums), but (speaking from experience), doing it all digitally makes things trickier.
So, you look a what characteristics make it sound the way it does. Roomy drums (maybe recorded with one mic), and distant guitars with little to no lows are a good place to start.
The drum machine is the trickiest part. For the extra touch, you'll need more human velocities and timing.
haha I know, and am aware of that sound

I meant "nice" as in getting the desired result that you/TS is going for, not the subjective description off "nice" as a "refined pop guitar recording".

Basically what Chem said.

To add to your "kilt points" I once recorded a black metal song in a forest:

Used an acoustic steel string in drop D and miced it with a phone, but placed the phone close to the guitar to get the phone to clip and it created this beautiful distored raw (acoustic) guitar sound.

Played some riffs on it, then a friend sung over it in german about 2 guys named black and dagger strolling through Chernobyl remains encountering mutated animals.

First line being; Ich heiße black, und Ich heiße Dagger, unt wir laufen am Kernkraft.

Something like that anyway it was pretty ****ed up.

Did some nasty screams and layered the 2 phone takes with a basic app.

This was all recorded outside in my local forest at nightfall in the winter on a snowy day.

Basically black metal kept us warm (him screaming me only being able to fret basic stuff due to freezing fingers) when we we're outside chilling and came up to record a quickie.

The recording is on one of my external drives, I will upload if I ever find it.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 24, 2014,