I'm currently debating on buying an EMG H4/H4A pick-up set to place in my MH-100, but I'm unsure. The main reason is the price (only $70 a pop), but I've read much criticism about them saying they aren't nearly as good as their active 81 counter-parts.

I want active 81/85's, or Blackouts, but there's a lot more labor involved, and I believe you have to change the pots, too, if I'm not mistaken?

I mainly play modern metal/metalcore, and am relatively decent at playing. I've also considered Seymour Duncan SH models, and DiMarzio pickups.
stay away from the passive emg's. they are pathetic.

you don't need to have active pickups to have your ideal tone. there are a ton of passives that i would take over both an active EMG/Blackout. and would sound much better. YMMV
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've had the H4. They suck.

I've had the H2s. They're nice. But for the price I will always get a DiMarzio instead. Every single time.

Look at the D Activators. If you're in the US, I know Guitar Center sells them as a set for like $125, I'm pretty sure (I have the D Activator set in my Ibanez S420).

I like EMGs and Blackouts as well. They will usually come with the electronics you need. EMGs have a solderless system, it's pretty much just plug and play. I think you have to solder the jack and the switch.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The only thing with EMG's and Blackouts is that my guitar is passive and I've looked through placing active's into a passive guitar. I mean, if it turns out to be relatively easy, I'll pay the extra money for an active set, otherwise I'll check out those DiMarzio's.
Dont get one. They are not very good and surprisingly low output for something that advertises itself as metal pickup. They do not push the front end of your amp, like, at all. The stock LH150 pickups you have in your LTD are actually noticeably hotter! HZ sounds overall bit better but still is just weak wimpy shit. I would not recommend for anyone to buy one unless they happen to come as stock pickups on new guitar you really like but even then I would swap them out when possible.

Something like Dimarzio X2N and dimarzio pickups in general are only little bit more expensive but are infinitely better than HZ.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 23, 2014,
Never really heard a good sounding passive EMG.

If you want passives for that kinda stuff, I'd say duncan distortions, or a couple of GFS professionals if you're on the cheap (plus they have stuff on discount, so maybe you can get them for even cheaper this time :P).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.