I picked up a new 20 watt Peavey micro head from GC last week and here is the skinny on the product. It has two channels a shared eq the eq consist of the standard 3 band and a vari class knob for class a and class ab and it actually sounds a little brighter on the class AB and has more resonance on the class A. It also has a 20, 5, and 1 watt switch in the back of course it sounds best when it's at 20 watts. There is also a headphone jack and effects loop and a footswitch jack for the gain/volume boost and the reverb. There is a fuse access point on the back and a ground lift button.

I'm using it through a peavey xxx 2x12 with sheffields and it sounds very good I can attain some classic rock tones with these speakers as compared to the celestion g12h I tried at GC which distorted quite a bit when the gain was set at 1 which I didn't care for. But not to dissapoint the people that want all the gain possible it does fine until you reach about 5 1/2 on the gain knob then it starts to get buzzy but then
you can kick in the gain boost and it tightens it right up. It sounds like the gain boost is diode clipping to
my ears which is what I'm used to anyway. Almost forgot there is a usb recording out and an xlr out on the back panel as well. The construction of the head cabinet is some kind high density fiberboard which is fine seems sturdy enough. It sounds better to my ears than the blackstar ht 20 I tried and the Egnater rebel and tweaker. With the sheffields think DSL 100 on the crunch channel with the gain turned down to 2 or 3 and with the gain up to 5 it reminded me of a Engl gigmastner but a little brighter because of the speakers I'm sure. The clean channel can go from triple xxx clean to a more fender clean depending on how you set your eq.
I got to try the head with some V-30's and can tell you that I was able to cop some zeppelin tones that were even more realistic than my triple xxx cabinet. The tone was straight on with the V-30's if you use a guitar with standard passive pickups if they are high output then you won't cop the classic tones. I also ran a fulltone mosfet pedal in front and used it instead of the onboard gain clipping and it wasn't as shrill as the onboard gain. The clean channel sounded a little more lively as well.
Last edited by B.Cross at Jan 27, 2014,
Nice! I didn't even know they where making these! I bet the modding community is going to love them

Are you going to post some pictures?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I had been wondering when the VK Mk.II's were hitting stores what did you pay for yours?
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
sweetwater and musicians friend have them up for 429.00......is it me or does that seem steep?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
sweetwater and musicians friend have them up for 429.00......is it me or does that seem steep?

+1, weren't the 100w heads cheaper than that? Seems high for an amp that was considered entry-level, unless they've done a ton of improvements...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeash the price is IMO too high, if it was in the $350ish range like Jet City then maybe
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^agreed. if they were comparable to them id consider snagging one. as far as major improvements i didnt notice anything to the amp design, just an updated head case that makes it look like the butcher.

heck save up a few more bux and you are in the hunt for most of peaveys models on the used department.

*edit*
i just took a look at it. seems like they added an xlr mic simulated output, a usb direct recording output, and 20/5/1 watt operation modes. still those options still dont make me want to drop that much on a valveking. if i wanted to i could get a better amp with those same options by going with the tubemeister.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Last edited by iheartgun at Jan 23, 2014,
Nice little head, wrong price point.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I will say I was impressed with the VK MK2 I played the last night. It sounded much better than the original to me. Happy new amp day!
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
I will say I was impressed with the VK MK2 I played the last night. It sounded much better than the original to me. Happy new amp day!

Have they improved the gain boost over the original? The diode stage is not so good in original though the biggest culript was the fizz inducing noise reduction circuit that comes with it.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Have they improved the gain boost over the original? The diode stage is not so good in original though the biggest culript was the fizz inducing noise reduction circuit that comes with it.

Very much so, unfortunately it has the same shitty speaker
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeash the price is IMO too high, if it was in the $350ish range like Jet City then maybe

I considered the Jet city but liked the tone on the VK more.
I too picked up one of these recently. I think the price point is pretty darned good for what you get. The little bugger does just about anything you want, from bedroom level nastiness, to small venue gigging, and to huge venue gigging via the built in XLR DI. Wanna record? Plug it directly into your computer via USB. Plus with built in reverb it's easy to do all this without pedals.

Very nice clean on the first channel. Nice crunchy gain on the gain channel. and insanity (if that's your scene) with the boost.

I'm currently playing mine through a 10 inch Fender Eminence speaker, same as in my Pro Junior. I like to play my fretted instruments "clean" with a bit of 'verb, but the blues harp like to have some crunch. This amp nicely nails both of my key gigging tones, and I can rehearse at home at 1 watt levels to emulate the gigged sound at 20 watts.

I was also fortunate to be able to buy it during a 15% off weekend sale up here in Toronto, so it was only $365.

Twenty Watt Head - Major Online Retail Chain Price:
Peavey Micro Head $429
Blackstar Venue Series HT Studio 20H $499
Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18 $599
Egnater Rebel 20 20W $549
VHT Special 12/20 12W/20W $499
Jet City Amplification JCA20H 20W $299

Slightly different options in the same power/feature class:

Fender Super Sonic 22 (22Watt) $999
Orange Amplifiers OR Series OR15H (15 watt) $699
Vox Night Train NT15H-G2 (15 watt) $499

Only the Jet City is less expensive than the Peavey, and it lacks nearly all of the features included in the Peavey.
Last edited by allanr at Feb 18, 2014,
^ it may lack features, but it sounds better than the VK. well at least the OD sounds better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^"Sounds better" is pretty subjective.

To B.Cross (the OP), the Peavey sounded better. I can't say 'cause I've never heard the Jet King, and it would probably cost me more than the Peavey, since it's not so easy to find where I live.

Bottom line for me is that I am very happy with my purchase. It sounds great, and some of those "features" (attenuation & built in reverb) are deal-breakers for me. My Pro Junior already fills the role of a small, straight-ahead combo.
I tried one the other day, along with the new Bad Cat 5w amp gc has. The VK surprised me, I got along with it much better than VK combos I've tried in the past. I could actually tell I was playing through a tube amp. I agree that they're a lil overpriced, but nowhere near as overpriced as the Bad Cat. And at least they're not as ugly as the combos.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I recently bought a VK II Micro-head as well. A big thanks to Allanr for posting those price comparisons. Just cemented my confidence in my decision.

The Jet City's I've tried are not the sound I want...they just lack "something" to my ear. However, the VK II just sings. I play mine through a modified Vaporizer cab (with a story behind it.) That VK II MH sounds wonderful through those 2x10 speakers.

A guitar tech friend of mine was building his own tube amp, and used the electronics from a Fender Vaporizer. The cabinet (speakers and all) was brand new and of no use to him. So I picked that up from him. We modded it so the 1/4" jack is fixed in the back and poof, a Vaporizer Cab.

Anyhoo, back on track. I utterly love the features that come with the ValveKing head. Combining the sound with the tech they put into it is a real buy.
features are pretty cool i have to admit. hell it even has a headphone out, that will be a seller for a lot of people.

i think it is pretty overpriced though. i haven't tried one yet, but i will have to next time i go to GC (if they have them in stock).

i agree with somebody above that the JC's are lacking, in something, but i am not sure if this does though. i listened to a demo, and it sounds good, but i think the features are what would make it worth it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's a nice little head for sure. The cleans are out of this world. I've been waiting until more of them pop up on the used market though -- $429 is a bit steep, considering you could get a used higher wattage head like a JSX for that.

Peavey also just came out Classic 20 and 6505+ micro heads, which are the same size and have some of the same features as the VK 20 MH. I really want to try one of the Classic 20s....
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood