Hi there.

I am considering a real bass rig, so far I have played only at home with my SansAmp Tech 21 preamp connected straight to the mixer and my active studio monitors (KRK VXT6 main speakers with a 12-inch KRK sub).

The sound I´m looking for is modern, deep and also articulate at the same time, but not too spiky. And of course I have a budget to fit in.... so I came to two main candidates, as for a bass cab: Hartke 210TP and Kustom DE210 - the first one with aluminium speakers but no horn, the second one with paper spkrs and a horn.

Unfortunately I don´t have a chance to try them both out myself and compare, so I´m asking for your views. Long time ago I tried a GK 212 cab with a horn, but I had to turn that horn off, the sound was way too sharp and spiky. Is this the case of all horns on bass cabs? Could it be the problem with the Kustom too? Or on the other hand: is there a risk of the Hartke sound not being articulate enough without the horn?

I tried to search for some videos comparing the bass cab with and without the horn, but haven´t found any. Could you possibly send me a link if you found one?

Thank you all for your responses and your help!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Some cabinet horns are quite worthwhile; others are not. I don't think they add much even in a high-end cabinet.

With Hartke, I prefer the paper cone speakers. I find that the aluminum cones tend to buzz too much, and the half and half speakers in the HyDrive series did not sound good to me at all. They were way too easy to overdrive.

Kustom's DE series ("Deep End") are supposed to be very good amps and cabinets, but they don't seem to have a wide distribution. For this reason, they do not get the recognition they deserve. I think a Kustom DE cabinet would be a good choice.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Go with paper cones since most of the time aluminium tend have a very bright tone with the lack of low end imho.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Thanx for your replies, meanwhile I ordered the Kustom, because also from other sources I got a very similar feedback as from you, so hopefully it will work out for me.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....