I am thinking about getting Amplitube3 just wondering how people set it up i don't want to use my laptop speakers there to low . I was thinking i will get a usb audio interface to input guitar and output in to some speakers but then i would also need an amp to push the speakers , Is it possible to use my tube amp as the speaker it would save me the time of having to buy speaks and amp?
It'll probably sound like ass, since your amp and cab will colour the sound a lot. Guithr amps are not designed to reproduce the signal as cleanly as possible, they purposefully distort and eq the signal to make it sound nice. If you take an amp and cab sound from your computer it'll already have these and doubling it up will probably suck. If your amp has an fx loop you might try feeding the signal into the fx return, thus bypassing your amps preamp. Even better if you can disable power amp and speaker cab emulation in amplitube. I've no idea if that is possible, but if so, it might sound ok. But you'd be best off getting regular audio amp and speakers, gos I guess you'll wanna play drum tracks and backing tracks to jam with, etc. Running everything through a guitar amp is gonna be very bad
Last edited by innovine at Jan 23, 2014,
Quote by innovine
It'll probably sound like ass, since your amp and cab will colour the sound a lot. Guithr amps are not designed to reproduce the signal as cleanly as possible, they purposefully distort and eq the signal to make it sound nice. If you take an amp and cab sound from your computer it'll already have these and doubling it up will probably suck. If your amp has an fx loop you might try feeding the signal into the fx return, thus bypassing your amps preamp. Even better if you can disable power amp and speaker cab emulation in amplitube. I've no idea if that is possible, but if so, it might sound ok. But you'd be best off getting regular audio amp and speakers, gos I guess you'll wanna play drum tracks and backing tracks to jam with, etc. Running everything through a guitar amp is gonna be very bad

Thanks for your points on drum and backing tracks I would most likely be making my own with some sort of recording software , Would i be right in saying some active monitor studio speaks would be best to get ?
best, yes, but you could probably manage with a decent hifi setup. Monitors are not essential until you are mixing tracks for release.
A hi-fi system with decent bass and highs will give good results, but it will never feel like an amp.

Keyword being "feel", cause it can and has proven to be able to sound like the real deal.

I often find I record a riff and it sounds 'okay' at that moment, but when I lay down the guitar and listen back (perhaps with some drums mixed in or what not) and it often sounds just as big.

You could possibly hook it up to a hi-fi amp and somehow run it through a cabinet, but this requires some knowledge of resistances and connections, cause you can easily blow one or the other.

The reason you like general music through ur hi-fi, is because it's a different beast.

If mixed right, your mind will forget that it's not actually a live band, and hears the fullness and heaviness because it's a complete band and/or because of the natural room sound that comes with a mic recording, so you can 'interpret' it sorta speak.

This 'interpretation' can be remodeled through the use of cabinet emulator, which is basically getting an artificial room sound, though the design is such that it's almost 100% accurate due to the way they work.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 23, 2014,
what the hell???

I just run it in Vsthost on my laptop. It sounds fine on the laptop or surround sound system. All you have to do is get Asio4all to get rid of the lag time.
Depending on your sound card....I have to set my input signal at 35%
Straight in to the mic jack from my guitar.

If I set up other amp emulators with high treble or tube drives...ect
I just install a vst noise gate as the first FX...

I just use the head phone jack and run it into a guitar amp.
It's just becomes like a guitar processor...like my GT8 or whatever multi FX stomp box.
You have to adjust the EQ and output to the amplifier.
That's like just changing the verious speaker types on your LT to get various sounds.lol
Example...if you have your laptop sound out to emulate 7.1 surround sounds to
watch movies...You might want change that into MONO out.lol

People used to complain about th GT-8 saying it sounded like ctrap. What the hell?
All you have to do is adjust the world EQ. Then maybe send out the signal at 70%
into the mixer board or amp. There's more knobs on the amp and mixer...FFS
Plus there's more knobs on my guitar.

You have to set everything on your amp. stereo, mixer as dry and as possible.
No FX, reverb...ect. let the emulator do it's work.

A lot of it is just having good guitar cords.
Last edited by smc818 at Jan 24, 2014,