Hello friends, I've started learning guitar couple of months ago. I'm trying to understand the basic concepts. Below is the "Fret Board Note Chart" that I made, after what my music teacher told me. What I wanna know is that, does all the major/minor scales and chords are based on this chart.

Last edited by 22990atinesh at Jan 24, 2014,
It's upside down from how I think of the fretboard but the notes are correct.

Why did you write enharmonic equivalents (# and b) for some notes but not all?

Your question is unclear (not perfect English language). You could use the chart to help you learn how to play chords and scales.
Quote by Jehannum
It's upside down from how I think of the fretboard but the notes are correct.

Why did you write enharmonic equivalents (# and b) for some notes but not all?

Your question is unclear (not perfect English language). You could use the chart to help you learn how to play chords and scales.

Hello @Jehannum I wanted to understand the basic concepts about the notes. How they are distributes around the fret board. As we all know Scales are the collection of notes C,C#,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B and as we can see from the chart there are so many possibilities to select the notes hence there are so many scales. What I wanna know is it the only possible arrangements of notes that is used or there is another.
Last edited by 22990atinesh at Jan 29, 2014,
Quote by 22990atinesh
Hello @Jehannum I wanted to understand the basic concepts about the notes. How they are distributes around the fret board. As we all know Scales are the collection of notes C,C#,D#,E,F,F#,G,G#,A,A#,B and as we can see from the chart there are so many possibilities to select the notes hence there are so many scales. What I wanna know is it the only possible arrangements of notes that is used or there is another.

I think you are referring to the tuning of the guitar. Your guitar strings are E A D G B E, but you can change the tune of these strings. For instance, some songs require you to change the tuning of your guitar to D A D G B E. This is called Drop D tuning.

You can tune your guitar any way you want, but before you start experimenting with different tunings, you'll want to build up your knowledge of the notes on the guitar in the regular tuning. The regular tuning is E A D G B E.

When you want to start learning about changing the tuning on your guitar, talk to your guitar instructor or send me a private message. Hope this helps
A new twist on an old classic

Quote by MegaRockFace
I think you are referring to the tuning of the guitar. Your guitar strings are E A D G B E, but you can change the tune of these strings. For instance, some songs require you to change the tuning of your guitar to D A D G B E. This is called Drop D tuning.
When you want to start learning about changing the tuning on your guitar, talk to your guitar instructor or send me a private message. Hope this helps

@MegaRockFace Thanx, you cleared my doubt. The above Fretboard Note chart is valid for standard tuning (E tuning). If we change the tuning the notes across the fret board will get changed. For example suppose we have tuned the guitar in standard D (DGCFAD). Then the fret board note chart will become.

Quote by mycus
Are you trying to learn lead?

Not specifically lead. I'm beginner right now. When I'll got drilled with basics and when I can play barre chords, then I'll think about lead. Right now I've trouble playing barre chords, I can't stretch my fingers. It'll need some practice.