If I plug my amp into the rear microphone jack on my computer soundboard, the sound comes through the stereo mix (speakers), but when I set the rear microphone in the multitrack view for recording and try to record it, an error occurs: Device could not be opened. (Apparently I can record in mono, but not in stereo. Why?)

Any suggestions?
You need to read the Interfaces sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm not really looking for gear to buy, just want to use Adobe like I used to on XP. Got all sorts of problems with W7.
Maybe I just don't get your question, but... How exactly are you planning to record in stereo? A microphone input is a mono source...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
It may be a mono source, but I don't want to end up with my recording being played on just one speaker.
Then pan the track center, instead of left or right...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, most sources are recorded mono. The stereo field (or the illusion of stereo) is achieved by panning those mono sources in different places.

Usually, only things that *already* have stereo imaging (synths, etc.) are recorded in stereo.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.