I'm having a custom guitar made by zoesandra on ebay ,don't know if anyone here's had a chance to play any guitars from this guy but anyway, I'm trying to figure out what kind of pickups to go with. I want this thing to absolutely scream and the pinch harmonics to be insane. If this was y'all's goal what kind if picks would you go with? Active or passive dosent matter
You migh want to try those:

Not sure whether you're a DiMarzio fan.

Also, some additional info might be helpful: What woods is the guitar going to be made of? How many strings? What genre? What sound are you aiming for?
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
The hottest pickups you can find are just going to feed back like crazy and kill your articulation. A pickup is a sensor, not a booster. You can always add gain, but you can't subtract it. The hottest I'd go is probably BKP Nailbombs, but even that is a bit too much tbh.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I like the evos, they have great harmonics and scream, but clean up pretty well. They have a lot of mid though
It's a mahogany body 6 string. I guess the sound I'm looking for would be like a zakk wylde or Michael angelo baito something like that
Ceramic Warpigs is probably the hottest BKPup. Personally I didn't fancy them.
I have a D-Activator X in the bridge of my Bernie Rico Jr. and a D-Activator in the neck, they actually sound really good... The neck is one of the few neck pickups I've ever liked, as it has a rolled off low end and tons of high end, which evens out the position and makes it very clear and punchy.

That being said, I just got a pair of BKP Nailbombs that I'm planning to put in the guitar now; the DiMarzios will go in my Ibanez RG320.

If you want super hot, the BKP Warpig bridge is wound to 21.5KΩ and the neck is 17.4KΩ, they don't list specs for the ceramic ones that I can find, but they should be even hotter. Super high output pickups tend to choke the tone, though. If you have a good amp, with plenty of gain, you don't need the highest output.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Tempoe
I like the evos, they have great harmonics and scream, but clean up pretty well. They have a lot of mid though

+1.

I have Evos in my Ibanez Sabre and I love them. They fit perfectly with the mahogany body.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
The D Activators in my S420 have the craziest pinch harmonics I've personally used.

Wouldn't particularly say they "scream" though, you want to be looking at pickups with more high end content for that probably.

Nothing wrong with checking out the classic EMG 81/85 either.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 23, 2014,
The hottest you can get is the Kent Armstrong M-bucker. It is a double rail pickup making it 2 humbuckers in one so it has a very high output of 27.5. heres the link:

http://www.wdmusic.com/WDMB.html

you can also get it in white or a cool rails version.

People that have used it say it sounds like an EMG 81 but with less highs
Last edited by Draco H. at Jan 23, 2014,
easily this. no question.

resistance 27.5K. nothing touches that.

Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_

Good grief, I want to buy it just to say I have one
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dimarzio X2N used to be the hottest pickup out there and I doubt its not too far behind even today. And its certainly at maximum, even over, than what anyone should really need with todays amps.

Plus I think it sounds great though some people disagree. Not ideal pickup for super tight chugging but for straight out thrashing and tremolo picking deathmetal its spot on. The magnet is ridiculously powerful so you have to keep it relatively far away from strings or it turns to mud easily.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 23, 2014,
Take a look at the Duncan Distortion. Not the hottest, but plenty hot and more pinch harmonics then you will ever need. If you want a heavier tone, try Duncan's Black Winter or Invader.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by ikey_

Now they just need to make a stacked humbucker out of two of those.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by ikey_

Resistance, of course, doesn't mean much; you have to know what the magnet structure is before you can make any assessment of output.
i had X2N's that went through three or four guitars until i sold it. it had output that was insane, but just hott as ****. not even usable IMO.

some like them some don't. but i think just about anybody who hasn't played upper scale pickups could agree are the hottest.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yea my original plan was to get a set of the zakk wylde signatures. Just seems like everyone's got EMGs. I was curious if there was anything better since I don't know much about pick ups
Quote by rmcc5017
Yea my original plan was to get a set of the zakk wylde signatures. Just seems like everyone's got EMGs. I was curious if there was anything better since I don't know much about pick ups

Even though you want gain, it sounds like you want to solo, which also means having articulation. Getting the highest output passive pickups you can isn't really the means by which to go about doing that. You should really look into the sort of rigs your favorite artists are using and go from there.
Hi, I'm Peter
hot pups? how about Kent Armstrong MOTHERBUCKER,Schaller Hot stuff
Last edited by redmoose at Jan 26, 2014,
I'm a big fan of the Gibson 500T, if you can find one used that would be an excellent pickup. Flying V's and Explorers come with them factory, and absolutely scream in high gain applications. I wouldn't buy one new as there are better pickups I'm sure, but for around $50 used you can't beat it imo.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
I'm a big fan of the Gibson 500T, if you can find one used that would be an excellent pickup. Flying V's and Explorers come with them factory, and absolutely scream in high gain applications. I wouldn't buy one new as there are better pickups I'm sure, but for around $50 used you can't beat it imo.

+3.1415 i love the 500t i have one on my gothic gibson V (stock),\. i bought another 500t to stick in one of my LP's. sounds great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Draco H.
The hottest you can get is the Kent Armstrong M-bucker. It is a double rail pickup making it 2 humbuckers in one so it has a very high output of 27.5. heres the link:

you can also get it in white or a cool rails version.

People that have used it say it sounds like an EMG 81 but with less highs

i want feedback from some who has played them. i almost want a HHH setup with them and see if i can make a black hole.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
What amp are you playing through?

Ive seen zakk plays guitars with vintage (low/med output) pickups, and they still scream when he does pinch harmonics.

If anything it snarls on a different spot in the spectrum but not less.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 27, 2014,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have a D-Activator X in the bridge of my Bernie Rico Jr. and a D-Activator in the neck, they actually sound really good... The neck is one of the few neck pickups I've ever liked, as it has a rolled off low end and tons of high end, which evens out the position and makes it very clear and punchy.

That being said, I just got a pair of BKP Nailbombs that I'm planning to put in the guitar now; the DiMarzios will go in my Ibanez RG320.

If you want super hot, the BKP Warpig bridge is wound to 21.5KΩ and the neck is 17.4KΩ, they don't list specs for the ceramic ones that I can find, but they should be even hotter. Super high output pickups tend to choke the tone, though. If you have a good amp, with plenty of gain, you don't need the highest output.

Hi MC,

What is your opinion on the D-Activator X Bridge?

I have one installed on my PRS SE245. It sounds really compressed and thick (which I like). Which neck pickup do you recommend to work with the DAX bridge? I'm more in the modern side of it, the stock neck pickup in the SE245 sounds just little too vintage to me.
Do you feel like I do!?
If I understand your mindset, you want to build something special, something different to the hoi poloi. Correct? The Kent Armstrong M-bucker would certainly fit the bill but 'twer I you I'd just go for whichever BKP tickles your fancy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Gibson 500T's very, very similar to Duncan Distortions. They're very harmonically rich and have a lot of output.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 28, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Gibson 500T's very, very similar to Duncan Distortions. They're very harmonically rich and have a lot of output.
I have to disagree with this, Distortions are a lot brighter and has a little more of everything the 500T does. Anything brighter than a 500T is overkill IMO, 500T sounds bigger and has a looser low end where the Distortion is a hair tighter and doesn't sound as massive.

A SD Custom is similar to a 500T though
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
BKP C-Pig is really hot, and surprisingly clear.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778