Just watched The Blindfold Test on youtube. They were testing four different tele's...the squier, the american standard, the mim and the custom shop.
Everyone should watch this and learn that not always does cost dictate a good guitar.
Very interesting and fun to watch. I just thought that when someone posts a thread asking which guitar, this video should be kept in mind.
Chappers is an idiot and you shouldn't believe anything he says. He's not comparing quality, he's trying to sell high profit margin guitars.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Chappers is an idiot and you shouldn't believe anything he says. He's not comparing quality, he's trying to sell high profit margin guitars.

QFT

Chappers will say anything to sell a guitar.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
It's pretty well established that most of the sound comes from the amp and electronics. I mean in the blind tests you see people always do "poorly" even when it's made very basic for them. Forget about the context of a live show or recording.

Chappers is like a Fender endorsed artist that plugs "their" Signature Squire. If it's the same as the Fender why don't you use it? Why even make the Fender?
I just traded in a MIM Tele at Guitar Center that I bought new in 2010. I did it for two reasons. One, I needed a decent bass guitar for recording at home and secondly I just didn't play the MIM Tele and didn't realy like the feel of it. It was a maple neck and I am generally someone who likes rosewood necks. I also have a Squier Tele that I bought in the late 90's that just sounds better and has a nicer neck. For me the MIM was realy shrill and had too much high end. I know Tele's are supposed to have a good high end but my Squier has a better tone balance. I will say the MIM had better pots and switches than the Squier but that may be age and use.

As for the Chappers videos, I do like the Anderton video demos and I agree that they limit them to what they are trying to sell at the moment. The best one is the older sustain test between the Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul's where the Gibson's (Stanard and Studio modals) sustained for 7 seconds and the Epiphone sustained for 29 seconds and left those two struggling in amazement to explain why.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 23, 2014,
Quote by Rickholly74
I just traded in a MIM Tele at Guitar Center that I bought new in 2010. I did it for two reasons. One, I needed a decent bass guitar for recording at home and secondly I just didn't play the MIM Tele and didn't realy like the feel of it. It was a maple neck and I am generally someone who likes rosewood necks. I also have a Squier Tele that I bought in the late 90's that just sounds better and has a nicer neck. For me the MIM was realy shrill and had too much high end. I know Tele's are supposed to have a good high end but my Squier has a better tone balance. I will say the MIM had better pots and switches than the Squier but that may be age and use.

As for the Chappers videos, I do like the Anderton video demos and I agree that they limit them to what they are trying to sell at the moment. The best one is the older sustain test between the Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul's where the Gibson's (Stanard and Studio modals) sustained for 7 seconds and the Epiphone sustained for 29 seconds and left those two struggling in amazement to explain why.

Do you mean rosewood fingerboards?
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Charvel1995
Do you mean rosewood fingerboards?

rosewood fingerboards should be illegal on Telecasters, they never look good.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Yes the rosewood doesn't look as nice as the maple fingerboards but I like the feel of the rosewood much better. Maybe because I am more of a Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul player and it just feels more like that. I bought the MIM Tele because I was told by my Fender loving friend how much better it sounded than my old Squier Tele from around 1998. I did like the way the MIM Tele looked but the neck feel and the sound just threw me off and finally just made the decision that I really wasn't going to be playing it much in the future. I was going out to buy a bass guitar and it was a last minute decision to just make a trade for the MIM Tele and not pay any cash.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 23, 2014,
Well...I guess I won't watch their videos anymore. I'm new to guitar and didn't even think that they were just trying to sell guitars. Live and learn. Thanks for the input.
They are worth a look to see new guitars on the market but just remember they are trying to sell them.
Quote by MegadethFan18
It's pretty well established that most of the sound comes from the amp and electronics.

Yes and no. There's no question that you can ordinarily tell the difference between a tele and an LP and a 335 and a strat.

If you're one of those who pours on the gain, pushes up the compression, etc., then yes, the amp and the electronics are doing most of the work and it probably doesn't matter much if you're playing a broomstick.

If you're NOT one of those (or if you play other things as well), then you can tell the difference, and you can probably also tell the difference between the various versions of the same general kind of guitar as well.

Chappers and Company's credibility aside, a blind test will, indeed, often tell you that pricetag is not the best indicator of guitar sound or quality levels.