Poll: Which is more important to you in a song?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more important to you in a song?
the arrangement
70 92%
the lyrics
6 8%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 2
I honestly don't care what the lyrics are in a song as long I like the accompanyment, but some people I know put more emphasis on the lyrics. Maybe its because I have been emotionally dead for the last 5 years. So pit what is more important to you in a song the lyrics or instrumentals?

Edit: Just so you know vocals are included in the arrangement/instrumentation because it is an instrument.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jan 23, 2014,
don't care about the actual lyrics most of the time. Vocals are important though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Instrumentals. Generally when I listen to music I don't pay a lot of attention to the lyrics. But I care a bit about the lyrics because of how the words sound and I also enjoy nicely built/nicely flowing phrases (think figures of speech and the like). But I don't care about the meaning very much.

That having been said, sometimes I find some lyrics a bit cringe-worthy and that detracts a bit from my enjoyment.
I go for the instrumentals and overall vocal melody, I don't really pay that much attention to the vocals.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by daytripper75
It really depends on the style of music.

Ye, correct answer.

I listen to some artists mostly for their instrumental works and to others mostly because of their lyrical prowess. I sure as hell don't listen to Dylan for his amazing instrumental arrangements.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by daytripper75

this basically.

I was listening to Wu-Tang Clan - 36 chambers a few hours ago. As I found the lyrics to be absolutely atrocious I couldn't really enjoy that album at all.

It was a pain to hear it all the way through.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
If both a good then great. I can compromise if it leans towards one style or the other though.

For example, Scroobius Pip's 'Let Em Come'. Awesome instrumental and lyrics. No problem. However Scroobius Pip vs Dan Le Sac's 'Thou Shall Always Kill', instrumental is nothing that stands out but the lyrics are awesome.

And La Bamba (Los Lobos) or Louie Louie (The Kingsmen). I can't understand a single word of what is being said but damn do I love those songs.

A friend of mine is Swedish and she listens mainly to heavy metal/metalcore. She really doesn't care for lyrics one bit in the slightest as long as she likes the sound of the instruments. She introduced me to Ghost and got some laughs out of their lyrics since they're so satanic but who cares cause it sounds good
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I find that good lyrics make a song better by a larger degree that bad lyrics make a song worse.

Like if the instrumentation is incredible but the lyrics are ehhh then it won't make the song any worse really, but great lyrics can make a song that bit better.
A healthy combination of both, that's why Rush rocks.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Depends on the song.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I prefer great instrumentals than lyrics.

There are very few songs I know even a quarter of the lyrics for yet for tons of songs I like, I can remember every note played.

I also listen to quite a few Japanese artists and, well, I'm definitely not listening to the lyrics there...I don't speak enough of the language to understand the lyrics :P
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Any part of a song is important, I think, but I listen to a song primarily for the music.

I do enjoy a good instrumental.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
i'm not such a huge fan of instrumentals, but i also don't really care about lyrics because unless i go look up the lyrics (which i'm not inspired to do much), i often have trouble making out every word. the melody and rhythm of the vocals matter more to me.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Depends on the song. Make Total Destroy has great lyrics but the instrumentals are just off the chart :P
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Well if were talking about todays days I'd say instruments, f*cking paul gilbert has thousands of people going to see him so he can molest his guitar. Only time when lyrics are impacting is when people go to open mic night which normally dont round up as many people as bucket head or mr. gilbert.
Whats goes around must come down
I surely dont listen to punk rock for the engaging instrumentals.
last.fm[/url}
it is not what is said that is important, but how it is said
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I have to go with both. I don't really think you can divide them up and make the separate; for me the music and the lyrics go together and are supposed to compliment each other. If one is off, then the whole thing is off.

That being said, I love the Pillows and I don't understand a ****ing word they're singing most of the time.
Quote by captainsnazz
anyone who says lyrics is a massive bender

why?

because you only listen to dubstep?

lel
I love the language of music. When someone puts too much emphasis on lyrics/words, it's like they're talking over the more interesting speaker.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You're on a guitar forum selection bias etc etc
Quote by HelpTravesty
I surely dont listen to punk rock for the engaging instrumentals.

And I don't listen to electronic music for the profound lyrics.

As was mentioned earlier, it really depends on the type of music.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by daytripper75

I'll go with this.

I listen to some music with great instrumentals, but the lyrics are stupid or nonsensical, but i also like music with good lyrics and simple chords that could sound dull out of context.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Melody and tone of vocals are definitely important, for me lyrics have to be really catchy/interesting to be the most important part of the song.
Lyrics can't really ruin a song as much as the instrumentation of it can ofc. But if the lyrics are spot on they can really highlight amazing melodies and together with the melody become the highpoint/pinnacle of the song in itself.

That's basically my view on it.

Songs WITH lyrics cannot be amazing without somewhat decent/good lyrics.
Quote by Random3
I find that good lyrics make a song better by a larger degree that bad lyrics make a song worse.

Like if the instrumentation is incredible but the lyrics are ehhh then it won't make the song any worse really, but great lyrics can make a song that bit better.

Yea, this is almost exactly how I would word it. Although, it isn't really the lyrics that get me, it's more about the way the singer flows his lyrics to the song. Maynard does it best.
^Never really got what's so great about Maynard's lyrics to be honest.

Also, does anyone else hate reading the lyrics and listening to the song at the same time? Especially in the first few listens, it can really make the song way less enjoyable for me. (Apparently Maynard hates it and hates it when people do that with his songs, that's why I remembered that.)
Both for me, Say I listen to BFMV (which I do sometimes)... when I'm in love I'm not gonna listen to "scream aim fire", but I'd rather listen to Hearts burst into fire.
But when I'm pissed off It's the exact oposite.

I feel like both lyrically and instrumental wise the song reflect my mood more.

bad lyrics = not listening
Bad instrumentals = not listening.

I need the perfect mix, which shouldn't be hard because my spotify list sits on 844 songs now, and it's growing every day.

Unless I'm drunk. I could listen to One Direction songs and start singing along when im piss drunk
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Lyrics don't really matter to me

I can't even tell what the singer is saying on some of my favorite songs and I don't care enough to look them up
If the lyrics are good, but instrumentally it's bad, then I don't really like it.
If it's good instrumentally but lyrics are not the best, I will still love it just as much for the instrumental part. If the lyrics are so senseless that it's annoying, then obviously you can't enjoy something you cringe by.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Instrumentals. You should probably go read poems instead if you're only going to pay attention to lyrics.
Quote by Cardbored
Instrumentals. You should probably go read poems instead if you're only going to pay attention to lyrics.

This is my opinion on it.
Page 1 of 2