I'm in the market for a new bass head.
I've been running an Eleven Rack preamp and nailed that Ampeg tone I like with it, combined with my Peavey Classic 50 power amp. I used my rig for both guitar and bass. (guitar through a 2x12 and bass through my GK Neo 4x10)
However, my guitarist is using a Blackstar Series One head, and it's just completely over powering me, and the Peavey isn't really pushing my cab enough. If I dime out my volume on it, I can kind of keep up, but I need more headroom.

So my question is, what are some bass amps, preferably tube, to check out ?
I looked at the Ampeg SVT 7 Pro, but I heard they had lots of problems until revision C, and even those had a few problems.

Budget- $700

Genre- 80's metal, some heavier -core genres, but VERY rarely, 80's rocks, "indie" rock music (Phoenix, Two Door Cinema Club, ect.)

Use- Gigging

Closest City- I'm in Louisville, but I'm willing to drive to Indianapolis, Nashville, or Cincinnati.

Current gear- Eleven Rack, Peavey Classic 50 power amp, Fender Mark Hoppus 4 string bass, Gallien Kruger Neo 4x10

Bring forth thou recommendations.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Maybe an Orange Terror bass?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
SVT 4 pro opinions ?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
I would suggest looking at TC Electronic's RH750.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh750/
Then there is of course the 450 version..

I think that the Orange Terror could be a good bass amp and enough with your guitarist... But how does he drown you exactly?
Yeah, he has more watts, but still the Blackstar has an option to reduce watts and it won't start sounding like shit. If that can't be done, then either guitarist is a nutjob or your drummer needs to hit lighter.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jan 23, 2014,
I feel like a GK 800RB or 1001RB might be up your alley.

If you really want an Ampeg-y sound with lots of power, one of the best ways to do that on a budget is to take a relatively transparent, high powered micro head, and stick a Sansamp VT Bass in front of it. Maybe something like a used Markbass Little Mark II or III or a GK MB500 with that VT Bass and it should get you near SVT territory.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
A 100-watt tube guitar amplifier like the Blackstar Series One is some serious firepower. You will need major wattage to keep up.

I recommend that you stick with your Eleven rack as a preamp/EQ, and go for a much more powerful straight power amp. That would make a hell of a rig. Take a look at the various power amps that are at least 500 watts RMS. I am partial to the Carvin power amps. They are great amplifiers, very clean and clear, powerful as all hell and they are U.S.A. made. The DCM1000L is a great choice:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/DCM1000L

Tube bass amps are few and far between, and they are very heavy and very expensive. The SVT4 PRO is a fine amp, but it is not a tube amp. It has a 12AX7 in the preamp section, but that's it. An all-tube amp like the Ampeg SVT, Fender Bassman 300, etc. will cost you some big bucks - way beyond your price range; even used.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I used to run a Crown XLS1000 but that thing is seriously underpowered. My vocalist loaned me his 90's Peavey bass head and that thing is rated 250 watts but feels so much louder. i can't even crank it past half way. I don't know whats up with that thing.
However, my last show with that dang Crown power amp, I had issues. It made me hesitant of the power amp route. I found a Nady SPA 850 for a cheap deal, but I don't think i should trust Nady if i had issues with a big name like Crown already. I quickly decided against tube because of the extra costs now, but I'm just iffy on if I should run a GK1001rbII for power, then run the Eleven rack into it, or if I should go the power amp route.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
The overseas versions of the Crown power amps just are not in the same league as the U.S.A.-made products. There are better choices than the XLS series, to be sure. The GK1001RBII is a very good amplifier, with plenty of power on tap. I think it would be a good choice.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Any thoughts on the TC Electronics 450 classic ? Do you think it'd have enough power ?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
Just grab yourself a bigger power amp. If you like your tone, don't ditch it, just make it louder! I just got a Carvin F600, and that thing makes my bass cabs scream. I'm not even pulling the full 600 watts.
I went with a Crown XS1200
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10